View attachment 1077098View attachment 1077099

Hello, just having some issues getting constant results, used to work a treat but recently not going well.

Any way people would change this at all?

Your main problem is that your team are playing in straight lines across the pitch; none of the defenders are instructed to push on beyond the defensive midfielders, who in turn sit back from your attacking four, with your wingers leaving it to the two middle men to push furthest forward. "Breaking the lines" is a tactical idea that merges the different positional departments of your team closer together in order to move the ball and attack space more effectively (think of Luke Shaw attacking the byline from left back or Frank Lampard bursting through the centre beyond his own striker to become the most advanced attacker).

This is what I would do - but I notice that you have your team instructed to play narrow, whereas I favour utilising the wingers and full backs so up to you whether you take my advice or not.

Left Back - Full Back_Attack (looks like he moonlights as a winger anyway, so he should be well-suited to this role)
Left Winger - Winger_Support (as you already have him)
Right Back - Full Back_Auto/Support (whichever he is better suited to)
Right Winger - Winger_Attack

Neither of your two central midfielders are playing in their preferred roles. Morgan Schneiderlin might be a better bet in the BWM position. I believe he has the Likes to Switch Ball to Opposite Flank PPM which is useful when you play a wide attacking game. Have him and your DLP play More Direct Passes.

We're going to play possession football, so tell your Goalkeeper to Throw the Ball to your full backs. Select these Team Instructions:
- Retain Possession
- Exploit The Flanks
- Look For Overlap
- Be More Expressive
- Whipped Crosses
- Increase the width of your play - not to the Max, just enough to be "wide" (my game isn't loaded up at the moment and I don't remember the actual settings)
- Retain the Prevent Short GK Distribution of your opposition
- I prefer the CONTROL Mentality and FLEXIBLE Team Shape; you can lock it down to a more conservative approach (DEFEND, STRUCTURED) when you're defending a lead in the dying minutes.

Crossing Instructions:
- Left Back - Cross from the Byline, Aim for Target Man
- Left Winger - Cross from Deep, Aim for Far Post
- Right Back - Cross from Deep, Aim for Centre
- Right Winger - Cross from the Byline, Aim for Target Man.

Ideally, Asensio would be operating in Support mode and will have the PPM Tries Killer Balls Often (if he doesn't have it, train him in that particular skill). In support duty, he will get forward when the chance arises to apply a finish to a cross but otherwise leave the main goal-getting to your forward. With the CF and AM both on attack duty, I guess they often try to occupy the same space. By putting a little more distance between them you make room for throughballs and knock ons that will put Ponce in on-goal... on those rare occasions that he doesn't run offside!

It looks as though you have quite a strong squad and the right options at your disposal to protect a lead by replacing the AM with a strong DM to switch to a 4-5-1 (or 4-3-3) formation that will enable you to shore up the defence and midfield and use the Time Wasting and Take A Breather options to run down the clock while you keep possession of the ball.

That's an awesome response, i'll give it a go, thank you.

If i were looking to use this tactic away from home on say counter in a 4 - 1 - 2 - 2 - , wingers and 2 cms with a dm, what away tactics would compliment this?

If i were looking to use this tactic away from home on say counter in a 4 - 1 - 2 - 2 - , wingers and 2 cms with a dm, what away tactics would compliment this?

You can play a counter attacking style with those instructions that I've identified above, but you'll need your lone frontman to be good at holding the ball up to give your wingers time to get forward. With the left back on attack duty, what I find tends to happen is that the counter begins on the left hand side, when the ball gets to the winger. He plays it into the centre circle for the front man while the right winger sprints on ahead for the angled pass out wide. Meanwhile, the left back, the left winger and (in my formation) the Advanced Playmaker_Support in the MC line pour forward. The right back on support duty moves up with less urgency, ready to offer himself as an option if the first wave attack is halted by the opposition.

For the front man role, I sometimes use a Target Man_Support and sometimes a False-9_Support. The Target Man will hold it up and play square or backward passes. The False-9 will drop a little deeper and play long, angled passes out to the wing. Having central midfielders who are good at long range passes and encouraged to switch the ball to the opposite flank really comes into its own on the counter, when they can quickly exploit the space that their wide men are running into.