Tactical discussion thread

Milen1234

Reaction score
I think aswell as people downloading other peoples tactics there should be a thread designated to Q and A between members for those who want to try and design their own tactics without reading TTF or without understanding TTF.

There are plenty of different threads with different tactical questions about, so i thought it may be more efficient for people to ask questions in here to get responses from some of the more knowledgable forum members (not including myself here, i'll probably be doing a lot of asking :) )

So yeah i'll start it off:

When playing against a team who play wide and knock the ball to their wingers, does anyone know the best instructions to give to your fullbacks to deal with it.

I try man marking with defensive mentality and rarely closing down to keep shape but i still really struggle with it.

I think aswell as people downloading other peoples tactics there should be a thread designated to Q and A between members for those who want to try and design their own tactics without reading TTF or without understanding TTF.

There are plenty of different threads with different tactical questions about, so i thought it may be more efficient for people to ask questions in here to get responses from some of the more knowledgable forum members (not including myself here, i'll probably be doing a lot of asking :) )

When playing against a team who play wide and knock the ball to their wingers, does anyone know the best instructions to give to your fullbacks to deal with it.

I try man marking with defensive mentality and rarely closing down to keep shape but i still really struggle with it.

Just to clear up ive never downloaded anyone elses tactics nor will I in the future...

Either have your wingers or full backs man mark theres whilst having your MCd or DM close down and man mark their playmaker. I never use OI as I never have any success with them.

Milen,try putting you own wingers to mixed forward runs instead of often,make sure your full backs have tight marking ticked.Also flood your own midfield by playing a 4-5-1 or something to stop supply to there wide players.

i wanna ask about amc position, most of the time when you put player in those position they play so crappy despite their supposedly good stats. do you know why is it happen? i try changing the personal instruction but to no avail.

can you give me suggestion on how to improve my tactics if i want to use AMC?

i wanna ask about amc position, most of the time when you put player in those position they play so crappy despite their supposedly good stats. do you know why is it happen? i try changing the personal instruction but to no avail.

can you give me suggestion on how to improve my tactics if i want to use AMC?

If you're using an update before .3 then that's bound to happen as AM's get worse stats than they actually play.

Perhaps you're playing them too attacking with too much freedom? What are the instructions you give them

You could also consider bringing them into the centre and giving them attacking mentality so they do play higher up the pitch, but start in the centre.

i indeed using 9.2 Updates.. maybe that's why they play like ****..

as for my instruction, i used a global mentality setting, with the exception for my DC, AMC, and FC.

i usually set the mentality 3 clicks to the right. for AMC i will use 1 click higher than this global setting. for my FC i used 1 with the same mentality with AMC and the other is 2 clicks higher. i am hoping that they can connect well by using this mentality, and so far i got no complaints from my assistant about this mentality settings.

as for creative freedom, i am a follower of theorem where less creative freedom is better. so for my amc i usually put them to normal at most. for my other players it was usually around 4-5 clicks to the left.

thanks for the information mate. i think i gonna change my tactics to 4-2-4 with 2 flat midfielder. it's working for now.

my recommendation would be to play:

3-3-2-1-1

gk
def def def
wb dm wb
cm cm
am
st

- set your wide backs to man mark their wingers (these players will need to have good stamina, marking, speed and tackling)
- make sure none of your back 3 are instructed to make forward runs.
- preferably, you need a great dominant header of the ball in your defence to stop any crosses that their wide men manage to get through.
- play counter attacking football so you actually have a chance of scoring.
- both your attacking midfielder and striker need to have good "hold ball, strength, run with ball and shooting" skills as they will be outnumbered in attackand they will need to hold the ball up alot to wait for support, and finish any chances they have.
- make sure that your defensive midfielder isnt instructed to make forward runs.
- make sure that you are constantly looking at assistants feedback and implementing that in the opposition instructions eg. show weaker foot to... "blah".

Thats all i can really think of for now, its not guaranteed to work, but its worth a go if you still cant fix your problem.

I would appreciate some advice on how to get my wingers to cut in during attacks. Thanks in advance :D

Play a right footed winger on the left and left footer on the right (you may need to train them to new positions) have cross ball on mixed on player instructions and play narrower.

Thanks for responses

For cutting in i dont think it matters if you play narrow ... just making sure they dont cross and play on an opposite win they're used to.

How high you put through balls on depends on how good theyre at passing/decisions.

This is not a question it more of a tip really.. if u put 2 of ur weakest headers on either post when defendin a free kick just outside the area the opposite team never scores!! in 2 seasons no team as ever scored past me from a free kick.. p.s if anyone else has anymore tips on defendin/attackin etc etc (no cheats please) i would be greatful.

When someone gets sent off and it tells you to pass them into the floor ... Does that mean short quick passing? with Forward runs, run with ball etc taken off so they pass more?

I am currently playing with Milan and use a 4-2-3-1 formation (4def, 2CM, 3AMs, 1ST). My wingers (AMR, AML) play pretty well (Ronaldinho n zhirkov) but my full backs, they let me down. They always run too much with the ball, lose possession cheaply and rarely put crosses into the box. I use less freedom, high cross frequency, mixed running and mixed fwd running. I want them to cross the ball without running too much in vain. Suggest a good modification in the tactics.

Hi there.. has nothing to do with formations.. the first thing you have to do is finding a tactic. And then make 4-6 sets of it... then playing the tactic if it is attacking then you have to close down some of the vital players on the other team.. example if the are playing with wide wingers then you have to cut supply or push the back line an try to control the match. example if you are goinf for a defensive tactic you normally tight mark NOT closeing down on vitale players on the field.

---------- Post added at 06:24 AM ---------- Previous post was at 06:22 AM ----------

I am playing chelsea and is unbeaten in 21 games.. have won against man utd and milan and liverpool on there ground... playing a 4-1-2-2-1 with playmaker.

how is the 442 formation best played?

my squad (Arsenal)
Fabianski/ Ochoa (from mexico)
LB-Clichy
CB- Burdisso/ Vermailem
CB-Toure/ Radu
RB- Sanga/ Ebou
RW- Walcott/ Valencia/ Lennon
AM- Nasri/Izmailov
AM- Moutinho/ Veloso
LW- Arshavin/ Drenthe
FWD- Cardoza/ marquinhos
FWD- Van Persie/ Vela(i use sometimes on the left wing also)

---------- Post added at 01:01 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:57 AM ----------

i'm using 442 formation with these bunch of guys ....can some one assist me/ .... i'm in my third season.....came 8th in season one ...5 th in second....and now 6th in 3rd....and ins January now...looking to get a RB cause Sanga isnt happy even tho he plays regular ...

my main squad (Arsenal)
Fabianski/ Ochoa (from mexico)
LB-Clichy
CB- Burdisso/ Vermailem
CB-Toure/ Radu
RB- Sanga/ Ebou
RW- Walcott/ Valencia/ Lennon
AM- Nasri/Izmailov
AM- Moutinho/ Veloso
LW- Arshavin/ Drenthe
FWD- Cardoza/ marquinhos
FWD- Van Persie/ Vela(i use sometimes on the left wing also)

If i'm playin against a team that plays possession football with alot of creative talent in there midfield.. what is the best tactics to play against them??? i seem 2 play against alot teams like this, so i was just woundering if any of you knew a way of combating this..
cheers guys

If i'm playin against a team that plays possession football with alot of creative talent in there midfield.. what is the best tactics to play against them??? i seem 2 play against alot teams like this, so i was just woundering if any of you knew a way of combating this..
cheers guys
If they have a lot of creative players in midfield you need to dominate the midfield. 451 with a DM and 2 wingers who dont get forward often.Play quire narrow too to swamp the midfield not allowing the opposition much time on the ball.

If they have a lot of creative players in midfield you need to dominate the midfield. 451 with a DM and 2 wingers who dont get forward often.Play quire narrow too to swamp the midfield not allowing the opposition much time on the ball.

Cheers i will give this a try..