The FM Guru

Reaction score
Right,

We know the obvious tactical genius on the forum.. but surely don't we sometimes think, how do they do these so well?
How can you tell what type of passing football to play with the players you have? How do you know to sit deep or push up? And whether to stick to position or more roaming? I generally try to analyse my team and attempt to make tactics, but they all miserably fail.

I just want to know the key things you think about when you creating a tactic based on the team you have.

Sorry if there already is a forum on this.

I make a list of key players for my team so for example;

Cristiano Ronaldo
Kaka
Mezut Ozil
Xabi Alonso

can I get the best out of all these players and still have a balanced tactic?

Ronaldo - AMR
Kaka - AMC
Ozil - AML
Alonso - MC/DMC

So from there I know that I want a formation with three attacking midfielders, and a MC/DMC. I choose a 4-2-3-1. Because I have lots of players in the opposition half I will have lots Of possession. So from that I decide to use a high defensive line so I can pin the opposition in their own half. And I am Using a quick tempo to keep the ball moving and work the opposition. I will play slightly wide width to give more room for my AMR/AML to move into.

You must balance your tactic if you do what I did and end with a 4-2-4 with wing-backs, both midfielders on attack duty and two strikers playing as target men. You must comprimise.

Once you have done this, you should have a decent tactic as It gets the best out of your key players.

Now the most important part of it all; Tweaking. When making a tactic I have my matches on full game. So i can see whats going right and wrong. E.G.; I lose 2-0 to sevilla at home, I dominated possession and I was caught on the counter by two long-balls over the top. From this I can lower my Defensive line so I dont get caught by Long balls over the top of my defence.

I hope I helped

Get things to blend in with your team. Look at the strengths and work on the weaknesses. There is never a perfect tactic - not for any team. At some point, they will crack.

The key things to know are what blend it with what to make the tactic work.

For example: fluid play = short passing + fast tempo

Or even:

controlled, counter attacking = short passing + slow tempo

I usually have around three tactics that I try out during pre-season and tweak them game-by-game to see who and what needs improving.

I am not a tactical genius, but I got these things through playing time, reading threads and looking over things I may have done wrong that cost me games.

First thing I'll do is check the backroom staff, if not everything is upto scratch, for example a lower league team. I'll sack them, and bring in ones I believe can do a better job.

Then I'll take a look at the team, if it's a physical side, then i'll adopt a route 1 style of play, with less creative freedom etc. If it's a team that's full of youth, and pace, I'd go for the fluid attacking game, with quick tempos.

I haven't ever joined a team and not made signings, so a signing or two is always healthy, I am abit tight over signing players for large fees, so free transfers all the way.

Find a base formation that suits your team very well - Arsenal would be 4-2-4 or 4-3-3. Look deeply into their strengths and weaknesses and work from there - Nasri, good with both feet, better with right, good dribbling and flair, AMR, inside forward. It's not simple, but you'll get it eventually, and a lot is trial and error stuff. I'm no tactical genius but that's the way I go about it.

How can you tell what type of passing football to play with the players you have?
This depends on your overall approach, and is as much a matter of preference as of tactical need.
Lets say you want possession football, your going to focus more on short passes. If you want to get right down to business, take a more direct approach. As for tactical need, if your players aren't good enough to hold the run of play, then take a counter attacking approach which would call for direct passing.

How do you know to sit deep or push up?
If you have slow defenders sat on the halfway line and you're counter attacked, your f*cked. This depends on your defenders, and again tactical preference, you may have fast defenders but want them to sit deep to stop the oppositions counter.

And whether to stick to position or more roaming?
Flair, Creativity and Tactics.

If your relying on your wingers delivering crosses, their no good in the middle of the pitch. If your using inside forwards, you want them roaming more to find the space.

But then its no good having a player with 5 creativity and 9 flair running around your pitch, when they've got dribbling 17 and crossing 19.
For me this is more tactical than to the player, If i have to make a signing for a position where i want the player roaming, i'll do just that, rather than change the tactics around the player. If there's no option of buying a player, then i'll change the player role to something which i wouldn't allow as much roaming for, such as a winger.

Hope this helps :)