Tactical Help - Creating Space for Attacks

WalkerRFC

Reaction score
Hi,

The aim of my tactic is to create space. I do this in a number of ways: letting my inside forward tuck in to allow space for my left back to overlap / letting my DLF(s) drop to allow my winger(a) in behind / movement between the lines with an attack and support duty in defence, attacking mid and striker stratas / dropping deeper than expected to allow the opposition to come onto us to have space to play in when you receive the ball / playing out from the back and allowing more possession to entice players out.

However, it's not working that great. I've got the results but that's partly because I'm playing poor teams. My DLF(s) and IF(s) have underperformed massively. Furthermore, a team can counter attack us to great effect by leaving 2 up, effectively making it a 2v2 situation at the back which has cost us goals.

Any advice on how to refine this tactic?

Cheers

View attachment 132959View attachment 132958

why are your full backs in the wing back position? when looking at this screen this shows us how your team will line up in defence. even without the ball your tactic leaves your CBs isolated. I strongly recommend changing them to the fb strata. it conflicts massively with the fact your asking the defensive line to be deeper.

another thing is you have selected shorter passing, but you have noone really operating in AM, so getting the ball to your strikers will be difficult. Also, you have selected drop deeper, which means your team will be stretched. your tactic looks like a figure 8, imagine an '8' being elongated, the areas in the middle have nothing in them (between your CBs/CMs/STs), and because you have selected shorter passing, they probably feel the distance between them is too big to pass to them.

These are just a couple of key points, mainly linked to your choice of TIs. I'd recommend starting with 0 TIs, unless you want to cross a certain way, and watch a full game, but consider it may not be the TIs that need adding, instead your formation that needs changing/ one or two players positioning/roles/duties.

Define "under-performed". What do you want them to do? Are they doing that?

Also, that's a crazy formation. It's more aggressive than a 4-2-4, which should tell you everything right there. You're getting done on the counters because you're wide open.