zzeezzy

Reaction score
Hello guys,

I am playing as Aston Villa and I am using the setup which GC recommends in his tactical/formation guide sticky thread. This formation is a 4-2-3-1 deep, but I can just not get it to work, I have tried editing things like creative freedom etc or personal instructions for players and tried giving it time but still no joy. The problems specifically are it creates very little chances and the defence is not good like you expect this formation to do. By this I mean the teams against me often have a few CC's. But my main concern is the lack of chances. I am lucky if i get 5 in a match (4 of them are probably Long Shots).

This is my line up usually:

----------------------Bent/Agbonlahor----------------------
-------------------------(Attack)----------------------------------------
------------------------(Poacher)---------------------------------------

A.Young-----------------Willian--------------------Junior Hoilett
(Support) ------------- (Attack)---------------------(Support)
(Winger)--------(Advanced Playmaker)-------------(Winger)

-------------Reo-Coker--------------Makoun/Petrov/Bradley--------------
-------------(Defend)----------------------(Support)------------------
-----------(Defensive Mid)--------------(Defensive Mid)-----------------

S.Warnock----------R.Dunne-------------Clark/Collins------------- L.Young
(Automatic)---------(Defend)---------------(Defend)---------------(Automatic)
(Full Back)---------(Centre-Back)---------(Centre-Back) -----------(Full Back)

-----------------------------B.Friedel-------------------------------
-----------------------------(Defend)-----------------------------
-----------------------------(Goalkeeper)-----------------------

(I know it is a bit wonky but hopefully you get the idea)

General Strategies:

Philosophy: Balanced

Starting Strategy: Standard

Playing Style:

Passing Style: More Direct

Creative Freedom: Default

Closing Down: Press More

Tackling: Default

Marking: Default

Crossing: Drill Crosses

Roaming: Default

Primary Playmaker: Willian (AMC)

I am using no target man.

My current league position is 14th, Played 7 and I have gained 7 points.

Won: 2 Draw: 1 Lost: 4

Goals For: 8

Goals Against: 14

If you can give me any advice or help it will be hugely appreciated, yes I am aware I could download a tactic, but I would like to know why my own is not working. As I feel it is more fun and challenging. Or should I lock the dressing room and just give em a good spanking XD, sadly I have tried that too lol.

Thanks for any help again,

Luke.

Try setting the Poacher as target man (not his role but in the tactic screen) and then set run on to ball. Also make the team pass down both flanks. Possibly change one of the defensive mids to a deep lying playmaker instead.

Hi mate I did mention that I wanted to play with my own tactic as I find it more fun and challenging, but if I do ever want to try a tactic I will definitely bare it in mind.

Try setting the Poacher as target man (not his role but in the tactic screen) and then set run on to ball. Also make the team pass down both flanks. Possibly change one of the defensive mids to a deep lying playmaker instead.

Cheers for the help buddy, I will definitely give this a go and then report back to you in say 5 games or so time (if they do not sack me before).

just a little think but hopes it helps. i usually put agbonlahor as a target man with target man service set to run onto ball.

mean you can hit big teams on the break with his pace, but also expolit his pace if you have through balls from midfield. this wont work very well if the opposition defence normally drop deep but should work against bigger sides who push forwards. for lesser teams use him as a poacher

You need to replace Collins/Clark as they are not strong enough.
Hangeland, Jagielka, Balzaretti, Zapata, Dawson, Alou Diarra, Eden Hazard, Paulo Henrique, Vagner Love sign these players and you will have success