Striker122

Reaction score
need help with a 4-5-1 (2 Cm's) Team charlton div championship 4th season
GK
RB(sup)CB/CB(Both def)/LB(Sup)
2Xball winning CM's 1 with more freedom to pass
Winger (sup) Ad playmaker (sup) winger (sup)
Comp forward or target man (Attack)
I play a fluid style with a short passing style, man marking a fairly wide setup(1 or 2 clicks after it says wide) with a deepish def line (1 or 2 clicks about it being called deep) a med tempo.

I have 2 issues 1 my Def is no where near as stable as it should be (with the players i have and the league im currently in) my 2 CM's seem to do nothing in terms of defending or attacking and its quite often that my players are miles out of possition when they counter.
My other issue is with my attacking although i get about 50% of the possession most games i only get about 10-12 shots away which is worrying as often they are long shots and typically i only have about 3-4 on target.

i have tried quite a few things changing to zonal marking or playing a differnt style (such as ballanced or ridged) i want my team to play possesion football but create a fair amount of chances, the main issue i want to fix is my defence as i simply have no idea why its so bad.

any feedback will be helpfull if needs be i can upload both my tactics (1 is Comp forward 1 is target man other then that they are the exact same tactic)Below is image showing players and team instructions if anyone requires more i will upload
View attachment 170632
View attachment 170631

Change your defenders mentalities down to defensive and one of centre mids to more defensive, and have the other centre mid as a deep lying playmaker to get your passing game going, also when I play one striker I dont let him have to much freedom and no roaming run from deep sometimes just want him up top scoring or creating.

i have the default creative freedom settings and i have stick to poss, i try to make my forwards stick to central but sometimes, like in the case of bradley wright phillips they have move into channels as a PPM and for what ever reason dont want to unlearn it, and im not sure if this would alter your advice but my AMC is ad playmaker i will give your advice a try and hope it sorts a few things out thanks

---------- Post added at 10:31 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:28 PM ----------

first game after i changed mentality of the defenders and def minded players it ended 2-2 to watford which im not to pleased about i still only have about 11 shots which is annoying i knew it wasnt going to be a instant fix still not pleased with letting in 2 goals

Drop your CM to DM instead (one defend, one support - Jose Semedo is made for those roles).
Check out the False Nine and False Ten articles here :- http://www.fm-base.co.uk/forum/foot...cians-chalkboard-football-manager-2011-a.html

I have one fullback(wingback att) with a inside forward (att) on one wing and fullback support/winger att on the other.

Your def line is deep so play stopper/cover combo and zonal marking or move your line up and play offside

Drop your CM to DM instead (one defend, one support - Jose Semedo is made for those roles).
Check out the False Nine and False Ten articles here :- http://www.fm-base.co.uk/forum/foot...cians-chalkboard-football-manager-2011-a.html

I have one fullback(wingback att) with a inside forward (att) on one wing and fullback support/winger att on the other.

Your def line is deep so play stopper/cover combo and zonal marking or move your line up and play offside
i have never used a stopper/cover combo how exactly would i go about setting that up ? and if i was to move semedo into DM what role would you suggest for him and then what role would you suggest the CM's role should be ? thanks for the advice so far

i have never used a stopper/cover combo how exactly would i go about setting that up ? and if i was to move semedo into DM what role would you suggest for him and then what role would you suggest the CM's role should be ? thanks for the advice so far

Different defence set ups here :- http://www.fm-base.co.uk/forum/foot...ow-set-up-effective-defence-centre-backs.html

Here is how I set up my team. I've tried to make possession football but the Boro aren't good enough.

View attachment 170721

I have a weak slow defense which needs help from a DMC. Have you read Tactical Thereoms 10, it gives you detailed info on roles, different styles of play and explains different stategies. Google it...

Semedo fits in both DM Def and DM Support, he also can play both DC Cover and DC Stopper - he has all the stats.

False Nine and False ten are really important, it will give your team extra potential in attack, which you need if you drop both CMs to DM.

You can always load down ready made tactics but that always feels like one fails.

With this set up (I've tweaked a lot in the start of the season) I'm W5 D1 L2 11-5

Last edited:
thanks for the advice, at the moment i have changed one of my CM's to DM def and my other CM to a DL playmaker support but with a near def mentality and changed his closing down to the same as the DM, i have also changed the CB's to cover/stopper and changed my marking to zonal (i have typically used zonal in the past but with the def minded players on man marking) with my CM now being a playmaker i have changed my AMC to a treq i have also upped my def line by 1 or 2 clicks and will now go test and tweak (if needed) for a few games, jose semedo is out for a few games but i have corry evens coming back hes not quite as good but he should do the job

First 2 games rather lucky win against QPR (they had 20 odd shots and 60% of the poss) i had around 10 shots and the 2nd a 0-0 draw to p'bough where their keeper got man of the match i had 12 shots though 6 were long shots from my treq and basically 50% of possession, i think the tactic is coming along but clearly is still a work in progress as i should prob be winning these games with the players i have

---------- Post added at 02:14 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:21 AM ----------

thanks for the advice people, for what ever reason that tactic hasnt worked at all tried to add in a few things from other tactics and nothing worked so i have now created 2 new tactics basically the same principle on both just slightly differnt tactics one is a 4-3-3 similer to the way arsenal and chelsea play (or atleast thats how i want it to work) and the other is ment to work in a similer kinda vein to the way man city played in the final

Last edited: