Tactical help required - countering PPMS + exploiting player weaknesses

mccollio09

Reaction score
Hi all,

So far as I know, for the last three versions of FM at least, I have seen no definitive guide on this, and despite having treble winning teams, during my fm years, I have never really been sure I have this part of the game correct.

Every pre-match prep I take a look at the opposition, their attributes and also their PPMs to see if I can find the best way to deal with a particular player. Every year I always have a nemesis player who no matter what I do, always scores a hat trick. Last year it was Tevez, this year it seems to be Steven Fletcher from Wolves.

There are some ideas I think I have got right, but if everyone can start sharing their ideas on this topic then I would be very greatful.

Here are some that I use (not suggesting that they are correct)
  • Anyone who cannot use both feet then stick them onto either their right or left foot
  • Any playmaker/ main goalscorer in their team put onto marking always
  • Any player who isn't technically gifted then stick to pressing always
  • Anyone with weak physcial stats (particularly strength and bravery) stick to tackling hard
Those are my general guidelines, but I would love help on marking by general players roles (ie how best to deal with a poacher, attacking midfielder in the hole etc etc.)

all that is the basis correct :)

• poacher (if pace & acceleration above 16 each) never tight mark or close down, show to weaker foot to push the player away from the box and angle's to score from
  • close down, hard tackle and tight mark main attacking playmakers (Snjeider/Scholes etc) give them no time on the ball to look for the killer pass
  • target man (strength, jumping, heading good) tight mark only! defenders will get close to him and challenge (man mark him with stopper defender if you like)
  • wingers (good crossing stats) show onto weaker foot to bring them inside onto their weaker foot, tight mark (man) your fb's instructions (tight marking/man) this makes them stick with the player wherever he goes
  • defenders (low composure) tight marking and closing down (set striker to close down a bit if playing with 2 strikers) this will force that player to hoof the ball clear or make a mistake
  • ball winning type cm's (no instructions really necessary)

remember that team instructions play a huge role in all of these instructions! I dont use OI anymore as my tactics are set specifically to do what I want :)

all that is the basis correct :)

• poacher (if pace & acceleration above 16 each) never tight mark or close down, show to weaker foot to push the player away from the box and angle's to score from
  • close down, hard tackle and tight mark main attacking playmakers (Snjeider/Scholes etc) give them no time on the ball to look for the killer pass
  • target man (strength, jumping, heading good) tight mark only! defenders will get close to him and challenge (man mark him with stopper defender if you like)
  • wingers (good crossing stats) show onto weaker foot to bring them inside onto their weaker foot, tight mark (man) your fb's instructions (tight marking/man) this makes them stick with the player wherever he goes
  • defenders (low composure) tight marking and closing down (set striker to close down a bit if playing with 2 strikers) this will force that player to hoof the ball clear or make a mistake
  • ball winning type cm's (no instructions really necessary)

remember that team instructions play a huge role in all of these instructions! I dont use OI anymore as my tactics are set specifically to do what I want :)

Thanks mate... Ever a time to use close down never?

Just noticed your last sentence, I also create my own tactics so that they do what I want... But surely OI instructions takes into account the side of the game when you don't have the ball no?

Last edited:
yes they do :)

but for eg: I have my Cb's to no tight marking and on cover duty so they never push up out of line to close someone down, they usher them out wide without committing (jockeying) as I use zonal and pressing!

now if I used OI and it was put on closing down and tight marking on the strikers it counter acts my instructions!

yes, close down never should only be used if you play a stand off zonal marking type of defending!

but for eg: I have my Cb's to no tight marking and on cover duty so they never push up out of line to close someone down, they usher them out wide without committing (jockeying) as I use zonal and pressing!

now if I used OI and it was put on closing down and tight marking on the strikers it counter acts my instructions!

yes, close down never should only be used if you play a stand off zonal marking type of defending!

Sorry for commenting on an old thread but Raikan is right . Never closing down is also useful when you have fullbacks who are horrible and will get skinned easily by opposition wingers . The combination of the OIs : Never Close Down + Easy Tackling on wingers results in jockeying . This way the crappy fullback stays on his feet and gets skinned less by higher quality wingers.But it is not so great when wingers are capable of finishing.

So, if i use OI, i can rip off my tactic??

So, if i use OI, i can rip off my tactic??

The tactic will work differently and you will risk the players not closiong down as a unit but instead some of them will be dragged out of position. Here, the flow will look much like when the some players of team on a high pressing game stops putting in the effort ( nomally seen when they feel the game is already won)

The tactic will work differently and you will risk the players not closiong down as a unit but instead some of them will be dragged out of position. Here, the flow will look much like when the some players of team on a high pressing game stops putting in the effort ( nomally seen when they feel the game is already won)

And maybe this is why sometimes i see a player running of position, specially the CB!!

And maybe this is why sometimes i see a player running of position, specially the CB!!

Can be many reasons but if this is something that happens on a regular basis, then its because the closing down settings and/or is contradictive or the reason i stated above, like when the MCs dont track back ( and dont gove a ****) and the CB just storm forward to close down a player that he shiould not have handled in the first place