mcsheffrey

Reaction score
Basically I am going through a bit of a tactical rut and nothing seems to be working, I have comeback to FM recently and found my old tactics don't work and resorted to coming on FM-BASE for tactical help.

I am looking for 2 tactics home and away and I don't want to just download and copy somebody else and would rather some of the intelligent FM players on here and guide me in what I am doing wrong.

I want a tactic that I can use at all levels with any team no matter what division or ability that team has.

I usually use 4-3-3/4-5-1 and it used to work all the time and is my preferred formation but now it just isn't working. It used to be great for possession and CCC but just cant seem to get it to work anymore and conceding goals like there is no tomorrow.

Here is what I am using, hopefully somebody can tell me what I am doing wrong so me and others can better understand it.

Any help much appreciated.

PS. Using LFCMarshalls update.

Here's my guess...

Tactic 433: Quick tempo and short passing doesn't always work that well unless you have players with really good passing ability. Your passing is set to down both flanks but you play with inside forwards, so they would naturally cut inside, so I would either play through the middle or mixed. Time wasting is at minimum allowing your plays no time on the ball, this along with a quick tempo would result in rushed passes and probably losing possession quite often. Control I only use against weaker teams as well, otherwise I leave it as balanced.

433 Def: When playing a defensive tactic you should use creative freedom sparingly, I wouldn't have it set to more expressive.
Short passing when using counter attack doesn't always work either, I would have mixed or direct passing with a quick tempo. You can't counter attack effectively with such a slow tempo. I only set time wasting to often when nearing the end of a game, playing so deep and having your players dwell on the ball is dangerous. More roaming will mean your team won't hold it's shape too well either.

My suggestion with the defensive tactic would be to change passing style to mixed, creative freedom to normal or rigid, closing down to stand off more, tackling to more cautious, roaming to normal, up the tempo to at least medium and don't time waste as often.

Edit: I'd also have a deep lying playmaker or advanced playmaker in central midfield and select them as playmaker (whoever the best passer of the ball is).

Last edited:
Here's my guess...

Tactic 433: Quick tempo and short passing doesn't always work that well unless you have players with really good passing ability. Your passing is set to down both flanks but you play with inside forwards, so they would naturally cut inside, so I would either play through the middle or mixed. Time wasting is at minimum allowing your plays no time on the ball, this along with a quick tempo would result in rushed passes and probably losing possession quite often. Control I only use against weaker teams as well, otherwise I leave it as balanced.

433 Def: When playing a defensive tactic you should use creative freedom sparingly, I wouldn't have it set to more expressive.
Short passing when using counter attack doesn't always work either, I would have mixed or direct passing with a quick tempo. You can't counter attack effectively with such a slow tempo. I only set time wasting to often when nearing the end of a game, playing so deep and having your players dwell on the ball is dangerous. More roaming will mean your team won't hold it's shape too well either.

My suggestion with the defensive tactic would be to change passing style to mixed, creative freedom to normal or rigid, closing down to stand off more, tackling to more cautious, roaming to normal, up the tempo to at least medium and don't time waste as often.

Edit: I'd also have a deep lying playmaker or advanced playmaker in central midfield and select them as playmaker (whoever the best passer of the ball is).

Thanks broski.