Tactical misery

• Thread starter MetalHeroChris
  • Start date
  • Replies 6
  • Views 1K
M

MetalHeroChris

Hi, I just wanted a little advice please, because I seem to be having real problems with tactics and results. I have tried so many of the other tactics that other members have created for both small and large clubs but I still can't get the results that are expected of me from the board, I sometimes have a good match and concede a late goal that gets a draw or a loss..I have never actually experianced back to back wins...My players end up unhappy and under performing and I get thrown out of the club by my ear. Basically it's a nightmare. If someone could help and maybe answer some of my questions I'd be really grateful.

Can you use the same tactic for each game throught a season or does it need to be changed everytime?

Can anyone reccomend a good tactic to start with?

Sorry if this is all very noobish, and thanks again for taking the time to read/reply to my questions.

Firstly stop following all those tactics and create one yourself. If you put enough thought into it, then it will surely work. And don't keep on tinkering with your tactics...once in a bunch of matches would do, but not very frequently. Tactics also depend on opposition and the players you pick as the starting XI. Conceding late goals...low conc for defenders may be the reason. If you are about to edge a game, then change the tactic slightly..like mentality, tempo, passing, time wasting and defensive line. It helps big time. And try a particular tactic for a series of games nad allow the players to adjust. Helped in my case.

Hope you don't mind but what you're describing doesn't just seem to be tactical problems so I've split your post down a little bit.

Hi, I just wanted a little advice please, because I seem to be having real problems with tactics and results. I have tried so many of the other tactics that other members have created for both small and large clubs but I still can't get the results that are expected of me from the board

Let your tactics 'settle in'. The best time to do this is pre-season. By tactics, I actually mean 'tactical sets' or very, very slight variations within a specific tactic. Radical changes mean allowing time for the team to get used to them, and so having to play more defensively. Ideally, you want a team which is well gelled with a sound basic tactic which you can tweak (or have pre-saved variations) for specific circumstances.

What results are you telling your board you can achieve when they ask you about transfer/wage budgets? If you set your goals too high, you'll fall flat on your face unless you're very good at this game. So be realistic, and then set your sights lower still. Keep your board's expectations lower than what you think you will achieve unless you're very, very confident about how the season will go and that extra bit of money will make a difference in getting you there.

I sometimes have a good match and concede a late goal that gets a draw or a loss..

Two main things cause this, but they're related. Fatigue and concentration. As a player's condition drops, his attributes start to be penalised. Silly goals in the latter stages of the match are due to this. There's a third issue of course - are you watching what the opposition are doing and are you making changes to nullify them? If they switch to 4-2-4 do you cross your fingers and hope your team will hold on or do you switch to a variation of your tactic which controls possession in midfield and catches them on the break?

I have never actually experianced back to back wins...My players end up unhappy and under performing and I get thrown out of the club by my ear.

Why are your players unhappy? What reasons do they give? It sounds to me like when you do win, you may give out too much praise to your players - which makes them complacent, and then they underperform. Don't be afraid to hand out hairdrying team talks to players who should be performing better. Keep praise as low key as you can until you figure out how each player responds to different teamtalks in different situations (and players will respond differently in the game!). Key thing to know is that 'saying nothing' in a teamtalk actually is saying 'you were alright today - not good but not bad either'. So that's a 'neutral' teamtalk to give for an average performance. Try to save extreme reactions for extremely rare occasions until your team is well gelled and they respect you and you know how their personalities will make them respond to things.

Can you use the same tactic for each game throught a season or does it need to be changed everytime?

If your team is much better than any other you will play and you're decent at man-management (or at least not truly terrible), you can use the same tactic for a couple of seasons and get away with it. As your reputation and the reputation of your team improves, other teams will start playing differently and you'll end up getting poorer and poorer results unless you make changes. You don't 'need' to change your tactics every match - but 'tweaking' or 'tinkering' with tactics to take advantage of weaknesses in the opposition team and/or its tactics will help get better results.

Sorry if this is all very noobish, and thanks again for taking the time to read/reply to my questions.

There aren't 'right' answers in this game mate - how you play is a reflection of who you are and your management style. What works for me, might not work for you, so concentrate more on figuring out what you want and how to get it.

Tactics

Just to give you a bit of a mental lift I'll tell you of my situation and you will see that it fits in with what zebedee is talking about. O.k about 4 seasons ago I created a tactic that was very attacking....going wide to wingers etc.
In that first season with the new tactic I lost only once and drew about 5, everything else i won. I thought i had created the perfect tactic. The next season I still won the league but lost the Europe games. The season after that I ended up 3rd in the league and lost the Euro games. What I found is that in the first season the team that I lost to was having a influence on the tactics the other teams in the league were now using. So over time more and more teams were exploiting my weaknesses by using the same type of tactic as that team I first lost to. This season I still kept my basic formation but tweaked it a bit ie. I now moved an extra man into the central midfield and went narrow with passing thru the middle. Guess what, I'm on a roll again until they crack this one. he he

Zebedeee,you deserve a medal for the amount of time you put in explaining tactics to people,and its all your own words too,not copied and pasted like what some people do,well done sir.

JP Woody: You appear to be on every post in the website lol

Hope you don't mind but what you're describing doesn't just seem to be tactical problems so I've split your post down a little bit.

Let your tactics 'settle in'. The best time to do this is pre-season. By tactics, I actually mean 'tactical sets' or very, very slight variations within a specific tactic. Radical changes mean allowing time for the team to get used to them, and so having to play more defensively. Ideally, you want a team which is well gelled with a sound basic tactic which you can tweak (or have pre-saved variations) for specific circumstances.

What results are you telling your board you can achieve when they ask you about transfer/wage budgets? If you set your goals too high, you'll fall flat on your face unless you're very good at this game. So be realistic, and then set your sights lower still. Keep your board's expectations lower than what you think you will achieve unless you're very, very confident about how the season will go and that extra bit of money will make a difference in getting you there.

Two main things cause this, but they're related. Fatigue and concentration. As a player's condition drops, his attributes start to be penalised. Silly goals in the latter stages of the match are due to this. There's a third issue of course - are you watching what the opposition are doing and are you making changes to nullify them? If they switch to 4-2-4 do you cross your fingers and hope your team will hold on or do you switch to a variation of your tactic which controls possession in midfield and catches them on the break?

Why are your players unhappy? What reasons do they give? It sounds to me like when you do win, you may give out too much praise to your players - which makes them complacent, and then they underperform. Don't be afraid to hand out hairdrying team talks to players who should be performing better. Keep praise as low key as you can until you figure out how each player responds to different teamtalks in different situations (and players will respond differently in the game!). Key thing to know is that 'saying nothing' in a teamtalk actually is saying 'you were alright today - not good but not bad either'. So that's a 'neutral' teamtalk to give for an average performance. Try to save extreme reactions for extremely rare occasions until your team is well gelled and they respect you and you know how their personalities will make them respond to things.

If your team is much better than any other you will play and you're decent at man-management (or at least not truly terrible), you can use the same tactic for a couple of seasons and get away with it. As your reputation and the reputation of your team improves, other teams will start playing differently and you'll end up getting poorer and poorer results unless you make changes. You don't 'need' to change your tactics every match - but 'tweaking' or 'tinkering' with tactics to take advantage of weaknesses in the opposition team and/or its tactics will help get better results.

There aren't 'right' answers in this game mate - how you play is a reflection of who you are and your management style. What works for me, might not work for you, so concentrate more on figuring out what you want and how to get it.

Cant put it any better than that.