Tactical questions, talents and rambling!

aRne2k

Reaction score
Hello everyone,
This is my first post and before you start reading Id like to mention WHY you should bother reading it.

+You will see some good talents, as ive played through many seasons
+You might get some tactical tips to help you

And what I want in return is further tactical help, and advice.
If you dont want to read, and just give me some tips on the questions I have, the questions can be found summarized in the bottom of this page.

So ive played the norwegian club Sandefjord (My childhood home is right next to the new stadium ;)
They start out in the norwegian first division, i took them up to the premier division the first season, which was expected, and have had great success.
Ive taken 6 concecutive divison titles, 5 nation cup victories, taken them to the group stage in the Champions league on 5 occasions, one which we got to the knock out round.
Ive led them to the semi final of the Europa league, and have good results to show for it.
Drawn Real madrid, beaten liverpool, drawn PSG, beaten clubs like spartak moscow, sporting, Porto.... etc.

Im a perfectionist at heart (atleast when it comes to FM) so ive changed my tactics almost every season.
My club has consisted of young players, ive bought talents and trained them, my average team age through most seasons has been below 25.

My main tactic for the most part has been a 4-2-3-1
But last season i had some success with a plain 4-4-2 because of the absence of a primary playmaker fiting the MC role, I did have one AMC playmaker but only used him a little, since i had two very good strikers i wanted to use.

View attachment 282087View attachment 282088View attachment 282089
I know the team instructions are pretty plain on this picure, but ive tried lots of different things, this is just the main idea.

My defence is solid and last season i think we only conceded about 11 goals, but bare in mind that in the norwegian premier division, the other teams are allot weaker than mine at this point, so i usually play a very attack minded possession tactic, since most teams try to counter me. My best season was 2 "years" ago, when i played the 4-2-3-1 and scored somewhat 80 goals, conceded around 20, (my defence was not as solid back then), and won all matches except 3, two losses and one draw.

I really want to utilize my current stars and build the foundation of some of my talents that is getting old enough for first team action, I want a solid attacking tactic. (For the european cups, i usually sit back and try to counter the opposition due to the amazing pace I have up front in some of my players).

So lets take a look at some of my players:

Bjorn Sigurbjornsson:
View attachment 282081
Originally a AMC inside forward, but ive used him as a striker in the poacher role, he has incredible pace, good dribling, and is amazing off the ball, finding space anywhere, give him a good through ball and he will run past any defence and slot it home, with PPMs like moves into channels and tries to beat the offside trap, he is absolutely deadly. Has scored tons of goals for me every season since coming into the first team (I bought this gem for 200K)

Yew Adu:
View attachment 282082
Has just recently entered my first team after beeing on loan, was rotating him with Bjorn the first season, he did OK, but last season i played a 4-4-2 with him and bjorn together, Adu as a Complete forward support role, where he did tons of assists and scored around 18 goals, Bjorn scored 27 (divison goals only)
I feel he has great potential, but lacking pace, so he wont really fit into a single striker role, i tried him up top alone as an advanced forward in the 4-2-3-1 tactic but it didnt go very well, and if i where to do 1 striker, Bjorn is just too good to give up.

Mika Juvonen
View attachment 282086
Not much to say, a solid midfielder, good defensive stats, able to play the Deep lying playmaker role as well.

And my new up and coming star.
View attachment 282083
I want to build a tactic that can fit him in. I already have a older player with around the same stats (only better), but this guy has a higher potential and will hopefully be my future playmaker.

My defensive stars:
View attachment 282084View attachment 282085

ALL of these players are bought for under 2 million GBP

So, you see what I have at my disposal.
In the early days of my 4-2-3-1 i used inside forwards on the sides, those have been sold and he new signings are more suited as wingers, since i used the 4-4-2 last season, they where better suited, (ofcourse these can be switched).
I have tried narrow 4-1-2-1-2, since i have so much midfield talents and wanted to use my attackers as well, but i really feel as if in FM13, you need wingers, i have no idea why. But against the defensive opposition I face in league games, it feels like banging my head against a brick wall unless i have someone on the sides to stretch to opposition defence and create gaps. But if someone has some tips regarding this tactic I would love to hear it and how I can effectively use it.

The main issue i have, beeing the perfectionist I am, it feels like my tactic is only successfull because my forward is fast and finds gaps, my midfield talents usually have pretty bad ratings, my advanced playmaker does not participate much in passing and key passes as I would like, and my defence seems clumsy when facing better opposition.

I also tried using bjorn as an AMC and have my playmaker in the midfield position, but then i felt like the playmaker performed even worse, and i lacked defensively sturdy midfielders to win the ball back.

I really struggle with finding the balance between attacking/defending/supporting players to be able to utilize an attacking advanced playmaker and 2 strikers.

If i use him in the AMC position, i cant have 2 attackers and wingers, if i use him the MC position, he performs bad and the other MC has to be a defence minded player, which means no supporting players and the playmaker usually gets marked hard.

My main questions are:

How to effectively utilize an advanced playmaker:
-MC or AMC
-Player instrucions
-Support or attack behind 1 or 2 strikers
-How to set players around him to work effectively.

How to get a tactic without wingers to work? be it 4-1-2-1-2, 4-3-2-1, 4-3-1-2.

How to set up my defence, i see allot of people prefere using the CD - CD with with defend duty, ive tried the stopper - cover setup, which in my mind is the best solution, alltho i realize it can cause gaps and might not be the best against 2 strikers.

Last edited: