Kishpatel

Reaction score
The following tactic is practically the same as one i saw created by Ryan Tank, trying to emulate Roger Schmidts RBS for my Sheffield United save.
His style has a narrow shape which utilises the wide men. It's high tempo and closes down a lot, however not on the defensive line but mainly once they get into the middle and own third.
View attachment 146649
I'm getting decent results in the champioship, after being promoted last year but not amazing results. Just looking for any tweaks or tips i can use to slightly improve this tactic and to secure more wins.

Don't really know the players but how many of your players are good enough to play in the Premier League? Do they have high attributes(14-15 in the Premier League) in key areas for the roles you are using?

First thing that strikes me is that you have a fairly newly promoted team, so not one of the better teams in the league, but a very attacking tactic.

It may be of help to know what your actual issues are?

I have quite similar formation I am using... I tried lot of different things, and as final result I settled on this:

GK-def
WB-att CD-cov CD-st WB-sup

W-sup DLP-def RPM-sup
INF-sup

F9-sup DLF-sup

DLF is basically TGM, but I choose to use DLF as this way I play more fluid game, without too much long balls forward. He has all the same PIs as TGM + Move into channels. He is placed centrally, so it would create space for IFN to run into, for RPM to have space to operate and also so F9 would be more moving to sides, and into channels at beginning of attacking move. Latter on, F9 moves into middle creating space for W and WB where they create triangle and easy overload situation, while it also creates extra space on the other side for INF and especially for WB on attack duty.

I wrote you this because I saw something that I think you could use in your formation... WPM-att will bi cutting into middle, and DLF will be coming to meet him, so he will cut off space for WPM to run into... If you use F9 instead, he will have permit to move on left side and this will create space for CF to move into, WPM as well, and it will create some triangles along with BWM, WPM. F9 or even CWB on left... Also, you could think about changing positions of strikers, same reason as CF will move into channels creating space for WPM, while DLF would create better linkup with W and DLP then it is current situation... Other then this, maybe changing CWB on right to attack duty...

Also, you could use less aggressive, holding midfielder instead of BWM and you could think about RPM instead of DLP-sup, as I found out that if there is not enough dynamic presence in middle of pitch that could connect it all together you could be facing with lot of long balls forward, much more then you would normally like. but this one was just problem that could be due to my player profile, so you can check out what is working better for you...

I did not like how pressing was affecting my team and what it did to it, so I choose not to press, I also am trying to stretch opponent as there is lot more probability that it will create space for me, so I play slightly wider and with structured formation. But if you have right personnel (hard working and good stamina, good teamwork), your approach could work as well.

I have quite similar formation I am using... I tried lot of different things, and as final result I settled on this:

GK-def
WB-att CD-cov CD-st WB-sup

W-sup DLP-def RPM-sup
INF-sup

F9-sup DLF-sup

DLF is basically TGM, but I choose to use DLF as this way I play more fluid game, without too much long balls forward. He has all the same PIs as TGM + Move into channels. He is placed centrally, so it would create space for IFN to run into, for RPM to have space to operate and also so F9 would be more moving to sides, and into channels at beginning of attacking move. Latter on, F9 moves into middle creating space for W and WB where they create triangle and easy overload situation, while it also creates extra space on the other side for INF and especially for WB on attack duty.

I wrote you this because I saw something that I think you could use in your formation... WPM-att will bi cutting into middle, and DLF will be coming to meet him, so he will cut off space for WPM to run into... If you use F9 instead, he will have permit to move on left side and this will create space for CF to move into, WPM as well, and it will create some triangles along with BWM, WPM. F9 or even CWB on left... Also, you could think about changing positions of strikers, same reason as CF will move into channels creating space for WPM, while DLF would create better linkup with W and DLP then it is current situation... Other then this, maybe changing CWB on right to attack duty...

Also, you could use less aggressive, holding midfielder instead of BWM and you could think about RPM instead of DLP-sup, as I found out that if there is not enough dynamic presence in middle of pitch that could connect it all together you could be facing with lot of long balls forward, much more then you would normally like. but this one was just problem that could be due to my player profile, so you can check out what is working better for you...

I did not like how pressing was affecting my team and what it did to it, so I choose not to press, I also am trying to stretch opponent as there is lot more probability that it will create space for me, so I play slightly wider and with structured formation. But if you have right personnel (hard working and good stamina, good teamwork), your approach could work as well.

I will try all these things, thanks for the tips. I know pressing isn't great on this game but i really want to try make it work, does anyone have any tips on that?

First thing that strikes me is that you have a fairly newly promoted team, so not one of the better teams in the league, but a very attacking tactic.

It may be of help to know what your actual issues are?

My tactic is attacking but i feel i have the squad to do so. Sometimes i feel I leak a bit too many goals though.

Don't really know the players but how many of your players are good enough to play in the Premier League? Do they have high attributes(14-15 in the Premier League) in key areas for the roles you are using?

No they don't have 14s or 15s as I've only just been promoted from league 1.

I'd be looking to play possession football with this set-up so have goalkeeper roll the ball out to your full backs. With the Winger on Support mode, I'd put the right back on Attack to get up and down that side.

Right Winger: Cross from deep, Aim crosses at far post (expect to see the left winger getting on the end of it)
Right Back: Cross from byline, Aim crosses to centre (either of the front two with the left winger picking up scraps)
Left Winger: Cross from byline, Aim crosses at Target Man (probably to complete forward)
Left Back: Cross from deep, Aim crosses to far post (expect to see the complete forward on the end of it, occasionally the right winger)

Whipped crosses is my preference but if your assistant tells you you're winning headers, switch to float.

I'd switch your Ball-Winning Midfielder_Defend and Deep-Lying Playmaker_Support to give that little more defensive cover on the right hand side.

If you're most advanced attacker is on the right of the front two, then he needs to be right footed (or two footed) so he can put his body between the ball and the opposition centre back and has the whole goal to aim at. A left footer in the same position will put the ball between himself and the opponent - making it easier to tackle him - and will often drag shots wide (...at least, this is what I found on FM14 and I see nothing different on FM16).

See if you can get Julian Brandt on loan from Bayer Leverkusen to play on the right wing, Patrick Roberts from Manchester City on the left wing and Ryan Ledson from Everton or Callum Slattery from Southampton in central midfield.

Last edited: