Tactics are nonsense......Team talk is the winning formula

Reaction score
You can sort tactics until your blue in the face.....Its pointless.
Its all about Team Talk. Thats the winning formula.

Aye, definitely. That 0-1-5-5 formation will surely work if you just use the correct team talks.

I don't agree, I would say it is 30% tactics and 70% team talks so if you just decide to be stupid with your tactics, perfect team talks don't make any difference. A brilliant tactic though can do more than a team talk as it might pick out a fault in the match engine or is just so good you only need average team talks to succeed.

Last edited:
Yeah I agree with the guy above 30% tactics 70% managing the team and watching out for fitness morale etc. You are bound to achieve success if you know how to manage your players well, but you can do it faster with a good and efficient tactic.

Well, yes and no. Crazy formations propably arent going to perform well, but with new tacical screen its true you can just play generic 4-4-2 , pick reasonable philosophy and stance, and its sort of going to work.

All the comparision and data about effectivness of different tactics is completely superficial. You'd have to simulate a hundred runs of the same season for proper tactic evaluation. Otherwise whatever results you get are statistically irrelevant, as there are far too many random factors involved.

i agree i have downloaded no tactics whatsoever just stuck to 4-4-2 and 4-5-1 and find its down to team talk

team talks are actually the least important individual factor, but they all rely on each other. Good tactical changes can negate a "bad" team talk. Conversely, bad changes can undermine a highly focused side.

None of my players ever react to my team talks and I'm in first place. There went that theory.

I've got a West Brom save and have tried same/different tactics hundreds of time with same/different team talks and I can say with absolute confidence, team talks makes no difference whatsoever in the end result, but test it again with *** man doing same team talk but changing tactics and one can see a big difference, regardless the same team talk by *** man, be it "you can win this", "do it for the fans" or any of the other.

I also agree and partly disagree. A lot of times if I am first in the table with few points in front of the 2nd I am trying to lose on purpose in order to save my affiliated clubs in order to loan players to Seria A. However it is really hard to lose even with a ridiculous tactic when your players have high morale and are in form. I remember one match with Roma I went with only 2 defenders - LB and RB - and I won with 4-3 over Napoli, who I wanted to play in European League instead of Lazio.

Yeah, losing on purpose by using crazy tactics can be sometimes surprisingly hard.

My theory is that when playing at high level, bad formation will get nullified by players having high attributes for positioning, anticipation , decisions, and so on.

I don't agree. It's all about variables. With my team (realistically) if I:

Play players out of position in a stupid tactic, but give the perfect team talk so they are all motivated = Probably lose.
Play players out of position in a stupid tactic, and don't give a team-talk = Definetly lose.
Play a decent tactic with great players, but don't give a team talk at all = More than likely win.
Play a decent tactic with great players, and give a stellar team talk = High chance of a win.

So this means that my comment>your comment which = Your comment is poo.^^)

You can't argue with Maffs yo, :D

How nice of him to delve deeper into his opinion, providing us with much needed and enthralling debate on the subject.

“You can eat beans until you are blue in the face but blue cheese will make you fart”

Play a decent tactic with great players, and give a stellar team talk = High chance of a win.

Do people expect to manage a team without this? If so, FM is not the game for you.
You need all together to play it properly. And great players are not just the ones in the top teams.

You have:

Training
Tactic
Morale
Team talks
Pre or post match press talks
Individual talks
Locker room talks

Not just tactic....

First year of management:

Tactics: 60%
Past Experience: 10%
Team talks: 10%
Morale: 20%

Second year of management:

Tactics: 40%
Past Experience: 0%
Team talks: 40%

Third year of management:

Tactics: 30%
Team talks: 50%

The further you play on the easier team talks become as the players will listen to you and respect you (this is done of course by being a good manager and winning things etc etc etc)

there are so many variables and permutations to team talks etc but I always say, tactics only make up 35% of a good/great manager!

I am not going to delve into the factors etc as its just too complicated but on the surface for the 1st season tactics are paramount and the further along you get into the game the less significance they have (this of course is with the same team!) of course the tactic still has to be good!

No one (well I never) go backwards in Fm, I have never, ever been relegated or finished outside the top 9 no matter who or where I manage! So you will get better players, no one will buy worse players... so the quality of the players increase and having a great tactic sort of becomes less of an issue due to the other replies mentioned above!

Meh , i always have assman handle all the talks tbh.

Doing it manually is far too random, tedious and time consuming compared to how little effect it has.

Assman traits are important for handling the press though: Unflappable, Media-Friendly, Plays Mind Games seem to work great. Never use assman who is Outspoken, they often ***** at players for no reason to the point of sometimes making entire squad angry.

First year of management:

Tactics: 60%
Past Experience: 10%
Team talks: 10%

Second year of management:

Tactics: 40%
Team talks: 40%

Third year of management:

Tactics: 30%
Team talks: 50%

The further you play on the easier team talks become as the players will listen to you and respect you (this is done of course by being a good manager and winning things etc etc etc)

there are so many variables and permutations to team talks etc but I always say, tactics only make up 35% of a good/great manager!

But,as you say in the beginning, 60 % of the tactic and you need to win to get respect, all others are consequence!

The 35% is too low if you say it has a weight of 60% and if you win!

But,as you say in the beginning, 60 % of the tactic and you need to win to get respect, all others are consequence!

The 35% is too low if you say it has a weight of 60% and if you win!

overall it does! in the first season its a bit higher but after that its mostly down to the management!

Nobody has mentioned squad fitness yet and depth. I could play my best 11 players every game and I'm quite sure they'd get injured or burnt out and I wouldn't win the league. Doesn't matter how good your team talk is, if your players are only around 80% fit then good luck!

Back