Maleficus

Reaction score
Hi all, I've not touched FM in a few months as RL's been hectic, but picked it back up recently and thought I'd give Milan a go. Having a bit of bother setting up some effective tactics though, and hoped the fine folks of this forum might be able to offer some advice.

Basically I want my main formation to be a 4-4-2 diamond, the way Milan played back when they had Pirlo, Gattuso, Seedorf, Inzaghi, Nesta, etc. Unfortunately not really managed to get this working as I'd like so far. Still in pre-season but with 3 draws (admittedly my AM ran 2 of those) and a solitary win against poor opponents it's not looking convincing. The midfield seems unable to knock the ball around as I'd like them too, and struggle to really connect with the attackers, too. What combinations of roles should I be using? What instructions should I be applying in order to exert more control over a game?

The second tactic I want to be using is some kind of 3-5-2/5-3-2/Catenaccio/something along those lines. Something typically Italian. Really not sure where to start on this one as I've not really used a 3-5-2 in a few years and the tactics system and ME have changed massively since then. Should I have an AM? a DM? a flat midfield? should I use HBs? a sweeper? Long ball or pass it around? CWBs or DWs? I really just don't know where to start, so any advice would be welcome.

I started a new save with Milan and im trying to replicate that great Arrigo Sacchi 4-4-2 .
I think i nailed it, the concept is simple, very high defense, pressing in three phases, mixed with narrow positioning keeping the players near each other.
The attack is fast passed, with high intensity and objectivity !!!

I would really recommend a 4-3-1-2.
Balotelli and Robinho how you like upfront.
CAM as AVP-A
Midfield 3 i would go RCM - BBM, CM - DLP-D, LCM - BWM-D
Back 4, get the full backs foward for width and central would be your preference.

As for instructions maybe play out of defence and more direct passing. exploit middle and play wider and hassle opponents.

I would really recommend a 4-3-1-2.
Balotelli and Robinho how you like upfront.
CAM as AVP-A
Midfield 3 i would go RCM - BBM, CM - DLP-D, LCM - BWM-D
Back 4, get the full backs foward for width and central would be your preference.

As for instructions maybe play out of defence and more direct passing. exploit middle and play wider and hassle opponents.

I had same formation in mind, and maybe Ancelotti 4-3-2-1. xmas tree