Status
Not open for further replies.

bgsam1990

Reaction score
Hi all, I started a new game with Bolton and have a transfer budget of $0. Has anyone tried Bolton before and if so, I need some suggestions regarding the players to buy on loan, best formation and how to get the bst out of them etc etc. This was my team for my first and second matches against Burnley (Away) and Wolves (Home).
GK: Jaaskelainen (Keeper)
DR: Steinsson (Fullback/ Automatic)
DL: Ricketts (Fullback/ Automatic)
DC: Cahill (Ltd Defender/ Cover)
DC: Knight (Ball playing def/ Stopper)
MR: Chung-Yong (Winger/ Attack)
ML: M.Taylor (Wide Mid/ Support)
MC: Muamba (Ball winning mid/ Defend)
MC: S.Davis (Ctrl mid/ Support)
ST: K.Davis (Target Man/ Support)
ST: Elmander (Poacher/ Attack)
So far, I have won both (1-0 and 2-0) and my next game is against Hull. After that, I have a series of matches against Liverpool, Man City, Arsenal, Spurs, Stoke and United. Any suggestions would be appreciated.
CHEERS!

Well your first two results are promising so that is good.

I managed Bolton recently and have a story of it on these forums. Without signing a single player I finished 7th and won the league cup, BUT I played ugly football.

I played this formation usually:

GK: Jaaskelainen
DR: Steinnson (FB/Auto)
DL: Ricketts (FB/Auto)
DC: Gary Cahill (CB/Def)
DC: Zat Knight (CB/Def)

DM: Muamba (Anchor man)
CM: Gavin McCann (Ctrl mid/Support)
CM: Mark Davies (Advanced playmaker/attack)
AML: Ricardo Gardner (Defensive Winger/attack)
AMR: Chung-Yong (Defensive Winger/attack)

ST: Kevin Davies/ Johan Elmander / Ivan Klasnic (Target Man/Attack)

This did wonders for me BUT I had to change things depending on the circumstances during the game so it is no guarantee. You wont be given much money at all and anything you recoup is best used on loan signings. Any good defensive players and a left winger is good.

I made my team:

Rigid
More Disciplined
Stick To position

I hope this helps you, if your current formation continues to work then you don't need to change only tweak here and there for certain games but if you start struggling away from home or something this could be used (with your own take on itobviously) as it makes it very difficult for the opposition to break you down and you can hit them on the break with the fast wingers and punish them.

but yeah good luck :)

do search before you post in future.

http://www.fm-base.co.uk/forum/f59/what-tactic-suits-my-team-t11424.html

i played 4-5-1 in my bolton test save and it worked decently. against strong teams, i tend to play defensive and switch the role of the wingers to defensive winger and play the dm as an anchor man. my defense line is also pretty deep. this tactic wont get you many goals but it ensures that you dont concede much as well. actually, your squad doesnt need much improving, except that you lack midfielders with high creativity. alejandro dominguez would be a nice addition, although you would need to pay about 2-3m. offload riga/nicky hunt if possible. ricardo gardner is better than sam ricketts imo. so you may want to play him as lb

---------- Post added at 03:48 AM ---------- Previous post was at 03:48 AM ----------

lol, we posted the same thing omg!! :O

Thanks Deano for that. The problem with Bolton is they dont have any good dribblers which makes me a bit diffident about using wingers. Only Gardner has a dribbling of 15+ and all have 14 or less. But I prefer Taylor to Gardner due to his crossing abilities which is key for Bolton due to the aerial power of their strikers. Anyways thanks for the suggestion. Will try this against the big four if mine doesnt help.

do search before you post in future.

http://www.fm-base.co.uk/forum/f59/what-tactic-suits-my-team-t11424.html

i played 4-5-1 in my bolton test save and it worked decently. against strong teams, i tend to play defensive and switch the role of the wingers to defensive winger and play the dm as an anchor man. my defense line is also pretty deep. this tactic wont get you many goals but it ensures that you dont concede much as well. actually, your squad doesnt need much improving, except that you lack midfielders with high creativity. alejandro dominguez would be a nice addition, although you would need to pay about 2-3m. offload riga/nicky hunt if possible. ricardo gardner is better than sam ricketts imo. so you may want to play him as lb

---------- Post added at 03:48 AM ---------- Previous post was at 03:48 AM ----------

lol, we posted the same thing omg!! :O

haha we did post the exact thing

ya, except that im a fan of ugly football and i use this tactic for every mid-table/relegation battler and it has proved successful whereby the medics are often called into the pitch to carry the injured opponents away (6)

Yeah have to have the tackling hard, it is very effective. I got a budget the next season bought a few more technically gifted players but we didn't do so well so I went back to the ugly football lol.

Play a 0-0-10

don't trust me? use the above links and search before posting :)

Status
Not open for further replies.