Tactics for small clubs / UNDERDOGS

Pestache

Reaction score
Hi all,

I start by saying that I really dont give a f**k, about all you here who win titles with Barcelona, Real, Juventus. Bayern, PSG. I am more interested to see you achieve something with smaller clubs. So i have some challenges for you, the best managers around here:

Juventus Bucharest - Romania Liga 1 - finish top 6
Guimaraes - Portuguese League 1 - Win title
Chievo -Serie A - finish on podium
Hamburg - Bundesliga - finish on podium
Lille - Ligue 1 - finish on podium

So after i see such achievements, I will really start to respect you.

Till then, keep winning La Liga with Barcelona. Very tough job

I'm with NAC Breda and I'm currently 13th, fighting to survive.

Hard to find a good tactic this year :/

I'm currently testing 523 Neville wear Prada by the Reckonist but without the 3 CF (impossible to find this kind of players in a small club), I've tweaked it.
I'm getting a bit better (after 7 loss in a row) but it's not THE tactic.

I don't tend to manage tiny clubs too often, or even small ones. But I have stepped away from bigger clubs at least a bit in recent versions. A problem that many seem to have is balancing having a tactical approach as a whole and trying to use limited players to the best of their limited abilities. I've found reasonable success at some smaller clubs in the last few versions, FM18 included, by putting together a balanced tactical approach and using roles and duties that fit that, rather than trying to suit the individual player too much.

Title first season with Crystal Palace ?

Yeah title with Palace first season ? is that credible enough for you ? haha. I agree with you, you can stick everyone in the top left and win the league with Barce.

View attachment 76395

Tactic was essentially a 442 structured tactic (which should marry well with less expressive and playing offside). It's a very quick tempo which obviously marries well with width, exploiting flanks and mixed passing. I didn't find pass into space provided any benefit though weirdly, but maybe at a club with better passers it might ? We were very aggressive in the tackle, and OI's were set to the AM, but i set every position to Hard Tackling also. Obviously we used Run At Defence, although no overlapping used, as the wingers are set to attack functions.

View attachment 76394
View attachment 76393

I've done a lot of analysis of the tactic now, i believe one of the foundations of the victory was the determination we scored SO many goals in the 75th + minute - if you see from the mental characteristics of the players, their determination is off the charts. We also won a lot of tackles, and watching the games the amount of sliding tackles going on was ridiculous. I think determination seems to marry well with the counter attacking mentality, as well as the
high team work, work rate, bravery, aggression, and the high pace and acceleration
of our wide players and strikers.
View attachment 76392

You can download the tactic from the steam workshop Steam Workshop :: 442 Ranieri Fast Counter-Attacking with plenty of Width (won the title with Crystal Palace first season),
This also has a link to the overload version of the tactic which i use when chasing a game, e.g. 1 or 2 nil down, or drawing 0-0 at 60 minutes. This was quite important in the victory, we won a lot of points from coming back from behind or turning 0-0's into wins. Second season, I've just come back from behind twice to beat Man City 5-2. I assume part of the reason for this was the determination though, as well as the stamina, we were often far more fit than our opponents. I think having strong dynamics was also really important, and i focussed upon this straight from day one in training.

I'll be really interested to know how anyone else gets on testing the tactic, or tweaking it to the demands of their teams. I also don't quite understand how it was quite so effective, so any thought on that too would be interesting.

I'm going to test it with a completely different club now and see how it goes. Maybe with out the determined players, and the aggression and pace it might not work so well ?

I also made a blog post to give a little more info about it, cos i think it's a really exciting tactic https://footballmanager2017dotblog.wordpress.com/2017/11/24/the-classic-english-442-counter-attack/
As well as a youtube video.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7333NijWuXg

Tactics on the 1st page 30, tactics using Barcelona 2, and one of those is a specific Pep replication tactic. using Juve 3. Bayern & PSG 0.

Most have used Liverpool this year for testing or Tottenham