KevQ339

Reaction score
I have decided to create a quite detailed piece on Tactical Overview and Creation, you may find you have read parts of this guide somewhere else as some of the advice may be slightly repetitive however the aim here is to blend it all together and provide an in-depth overview of how it all comes together.

Bear in mind that what you read is subjective, I’m not telling you how to play or giving away a super tactic, although hopefully i can prompt and encourage even enlighten you to create your own.

So you have created your manager profile, and you have selected your team or the challenge you wish to partake in.

What is next.... it’s those dreaded words but probably the most essential
SQUAD ASSESSMENT.

We have all been guilty of the most common mistakes, we go to reports pick the highest star players in there best position and role and go at team instructions to try and play like Barca score like Liverpool and defend like Juventus.

One or two might get lucky but as a rule this does not work. Firstly how you want the team to play and how they can play are two completely different animals, will Barnet start the game ready to go tiki-taka? no chance.

So how do we assess the Squad.....we set clear goals for ourselves,

for example I like to work with a 23-man squad this will be the players that i will very rarely deviate from during the season.

I have 3 GK's,
my 1st 11 based on my formation,
my 2nd 11 that will cover for injury and suspension.
and a promising youth keeper,
My preference is to a determined and hard working Squad.
I like players that are natural in multiple positions to reduce the need for change during the season.
If im at a part time amateur team i may need to sign to fill quota but go through steps below 1st
With this format i have flexibility, cover and a smaller squad that it is easier to give game time to and keep everyone happy.

The easiest way to shape the Squad in this way is to promote all youth/reserve players to the first team and use the filters to isolate positions.

Obviously the player attributes are a give away the higher the division the better these need to be but below are the ones I look for and couple with the best mental and physical attributes i can find.

Now i settle on a formation and select players using the format below.

First I start with the GK’s
Reflexes, handling, positioning, determination, concentration.

This makes the keeper a good shot stopper and he will keep out more than he lets in.

I select the 2 best senior keepers by star rating and 1 youth/reserve but i don’t demote the remaining players just yet.

FB/WB Left then right
Pace, acceleration, tackling, dribbling, crossing.

Fast hard to pass and creative going forward the modern fullback.

Select best senior player by star rating and best youth by potential for both sides.

BPD/ DCB / CB’s(preferred foot to match side).
Heading, Marking, Tackling, Pace and Acceleration.

Fast good in the air good in the tackle

Select the 2 best senior player by star rating and the 2 best youth by potential for back 4

Select the 3 best senior player by star rating and the 3 best youth by potential for back 3/5

DM(All variations)
Heading, Marking, Tackling, Pace and Acceleration.

Fast good in the air good in the tackle
Creative stats passing vision etc will naturally be higher to suit role.

Select the best senior player by star rating and the best youth by potential for single position
Select the 2 best senior player by star rating and the 2 best youth by potential for back for 2 DM tactics

CM(All Variations)
Passing, vision, work rate, stamina, tackling

Basic general attributes for a midfielder
Creative, physical and mental attributes will be naturally higher to suit role.

Select the 2 best senior player by star rating and the 2 best youth by potential 2 CM’s

Select the 3 best senior player by star rating and the 3 best youth by potential for 3 CM’s

AM RC/C/LC(All variations)
Passing, vision, composure, pace, shooting

Basic general attributes for a Attacking midfielder
Creative, physical and mental attributes will be naturally higher to suit role.

Select the best senior player by star rating and the best youth by potential for single position

Select the 2 best senior player by star rating and the 2 best youth by potential 2 ACM’s

Select the 3 best senior player by star rating and the 3 best youth by potential for 3 ACM’s

LM/RM/LW/RW Left then right(wingers IF’s IW’s)
Pace, acceleration, flair, dribbling, crossing.

Fast and creative going forward

Select the 2 best senior player by star rating and the 2 best youth by potential

STC(All Variations)
Pace, acceleration, finishing, composure, heading

Necessary for all striking roles.

Select the 2 best senior player by star rating and the 2 best youth by potential 2 ST’s

Select the 3 best senior player by star rating and the 3 best youth by potential for 3 ST’s

Bear in mind that selecting players this way corresponds to the formation you choose. If you play without DM’s you don’t have to select them.

Now that I have selected the 1st​ 11 in positions for formation 2nd​ 11 in substitute roles i am left with a whole lot of unselected players for players that are under 21 assign to reserve and youth teams as applicable regardless of star levels and we will deal with them later.

For the remaining senior players without selection you don’t need them so offer them to clubs for transfer and forget about them.

With any luck they should bring in some capital for you to spend on improvements.

TACTICS AND ROLES

For the most part nearly all of us have a preferred formation or in my case I have 3,
I go with one defensive/counter, 1 standard, one control/attacking.

How do i go about this.... by starting with the standard for the simple reason there are a larger number of teams at a very similar level to my team 1 or 2 might be a lot better or a lot worse but by and large they are mostly similar.

Get this part right and it will make up a large chunk of your points haul for the season.
There is the old philosophy get the basics right and in this game it has never been more true.
So for the sake of this guide i will base it on the 4-1-2-3 formation.
Player roles and suitability are irrelevant as by training and playing in position players will improve.

How would i set up....

GK – Sweeper keeper – support
will patrol the space behind defense and mop up ball played through or over the top.

RB – Wing back –support
Will provide an attacking input into transition phase but won’t jeopardize defensive responsibility.

CD – Ball Playing Defender – defend
Will stay slightly deeper offer an outlet for defenders to pass to while brining ball out from back

CD – central defender – Cover
Will hold position in defense but will be slightly more aggressive in winning ball than the BPD

LB – Wing back –support
Will provide an attacking input into transition phase but won’t jeopardize defensive responsibility.

CDM – Half-Back – Defend only
This player is defense minded only will drop back into defence to create a back 3 and cover space.

LCM – Ball winning Midfielder – Support
Will aggressively win ball back to give to more creative players a little higher up pitch thanks to support role

RCM – Roaming Playmaker – Support
This player will take minor defensive responsibility but main role find space and create in transition

LW – winger right footed – Attack
Will cut in naturally on strong foot or if weak foot strong will go outside much more unpredictable than an IF.

RW- Winger left footed - Attack
Will cut in naturally on strong foot or if weak foot strong will go outside much more unpredictable than an IF.

ST – Poacher – Attack only
Only wants to Score goals

Team instructions:

Mentality : Standard
Style : Fluid

Tempo : Higher
Defensive line : Normal
Closing down : More

Tighter marking
Prevent GK short distribution

Crossing : Low crosses

Exploit flanks
Clear to flanks

All other Instructions I leave to default

I only add 1 player instruction to the GK to distribute specifically to the BPD

So this would be my standard base tactic, to create a counter i would raise Tempo and closing down to highest level, to be more attacking Change mentality to Attack and lower the tempo.

This allows for easier transition of tactics as they are almost identical and allows me to do it without drastically altering the personnel unless they are really having a bad game.

Remember that tactics take 7-12 games to train fully so persevere with them don’t just expect instant success or that that tactic you made for Spurs will work with Walsall.

This is just an example of my base tactic and the amendments I make, it is not a super tactic and it is not perfect.

YOU MAY WONDER WHAT THE SECTIONS BELOW HAVE TO DO WITH TACTICS.
BUT BELIEVE ME TACTICS IS A PROGRESSION, AND IF YOU LOOK AFTER THE
NEXT SECTIONS YOUR TACTICS WILL BENEFIT, AS YOU WILL GET MORE TIME
AND PATIENCE FROM THE BOARD GENERALLY WHILE IMPROVING STANDARDS.

SO WHAT DOES THE BELOW SECTIONS HAVE TO DO WITH TACTICS .... EVERYTHING!!!

TRAINING

Although this is the tactics forum this is integral to the initial creation,

Team training: in pre-season should be higher intensity and be focused on tactics until fully mastered, then lower intensity and usually for me attacking movement but that’s just personal preference.

Idividual training: players should be trained in the position you are or intend to play them increase attributes and familiarity in role. Also I usually focus train quickness on low intensity.

Tuition: This ties in directly with how i made up the squad, where you have the senior player tutor under their wing the understudy that you have used to make the second 11. This allows the youth to grow faster train for position improve performance and increase ability overall to become better cover or 1st​ team replacement.

STAFF

Hire the best staff you can even if you have to sack existing staff when the positions are full request from the board more coaches, scouts and physio’s to increase the levels these areas work at.

CONTRACTS

When negotiating player/staff contracts remove all bonuses i.e. wage rises, competition success, appearance fee, unused sub fee, and landmark bonuses. You may have to increase the wage slightly but annually you will save a fortune.

If you wish to add minimum fee release that’s fine as this can be used to scare teams away from your best players by over pricing them or to encourage and ensure you get a decent price from the sale.

FACILITIES

Upgrade the facilities for youth and senior as soon as possible the better they are the better the training and the better the rep of the club meaning you can if you wish sign better players.

FINANCES

Keep an eye on the finances and you keep the board happy and a happy board is a patient board which in turn keeps you employed even when you underachieve (Think Wenger)

Increase budgets to youth recruitment and training as much as possible in the long run it improves the team and increases revenue through sales of players.

Also remember to check the transfer sell on clauses if you have any as this will boost your cash reserves allowing you a quick fix if short on cash.

PRESS CONFERENCES

When speaking to the media apply common sense, don’t tell them you’re good friends with someone you don’t know, don’t say you will win a game you know you will lose and don’t make player promises in media you know you are not going to keep.

MATCHDAY TEAM TALKS

Pre-match Team Talks
I usually link this to my teams form and the pre-match analysis comments. Think about the analysis comments as a sort of summary from a TV show like soccer Saturday or match of the day. It is definitely more accurate than the numerical odds you get a few days before the game and is usually different. It usually appears on the second screen on match day after the formations screen. Example below.
Home Games
I listed the some base scenarios that should sort of cover most situations. Listed every situation is really tedious and I might update it later if need be.

Clear Favorites + Good Form : Expect A Performance (Aggressive or Assertive) + Pick Up where Left off for top performers in previous game
Favorite + Decent Form : Expect A Performance (Assertive) or For the Fans (Calm, Assertive)
Expected to Draw/Narrow Win + Previous good Game : Usually don't say anything or Pick Up where Left off for top performers in previous game.
Expected to lose Heavily: Usually don't say anything or No pressure (calm)
Rival Game or Cup Final/Semi: Expect A Performance (Passionate) if in good form or For the Fans (Passionate) in all other situations

Away Games
Clear Favorites + Good Form : Expect A Performance (Aggressive or Assertive) + Pick Up where Left off for top performers in previous game
Favorite + Decent Form : For the Fans (Calm, Assertive)
Expected to Draw/Narrow Win + Previous good Game : Usually don't say anything or Pick Up where Left off for top performers in previous game.
Expected to lose Heavily: No pressure (calm)
Rival Game or Cup Final/Semi: For the Fans (Passionate)

Halftime Team Talk
As you would have expected, I link this to the halftime score and also individual performances. But I also link it back to pre match analysis as well to determine the tone that I use. I put players into 3 categories based on their rating (Bad < 6.8), (Average 6.8), (Good > 6.8), (Great > 7.2). I will start with the general team talk the talk about individual after

Clear Favorites + Winning by over 2 goals or more: Happy with Football being Played (Assertive)
Clear Favorites + Winning by a goal: Things are going well but could be better (Assertive) or Complacency (Calm)
Clear Favorites + Drawing: Expect Better (Aggressive)
Clear Favorites + Loosing: Expect Better (Aggressive) or Show me something Else (Aggressive)

Favorite + Winning by over 2 goals or more: Say Nothing or Happy with Football being Played (Calm)
Favorite + Winning by a goal: Say Nothing
Favorite + Drawing: Expect Better (Assertive)
Favorite + Losing: Expect Better (Assertive, Calm) or Show me something Else (Assertive, Calm)

Narrow Win + Winning by over 2 goals or more: Happy with Football being Played (Assertive)
Narrow Win + Winning by a goal: Could be better (Calm/Cautious)
Narrow Win + Drawing: Could be better (Assertive)
Narrow Win + Losing: Expect Better (Calm)

Expected to lose Heavily + Winning by 2 goals or more : Happy with Football being Played (Passionate)
Expected to lose Heavily + Winning by a goal : Happy with Football being Played (Calm)
Expected to lose Heavily + Drawing: Happy with Football being Played (Calm)
Expected to lose Heavily + Loosing: Show me Something Else if loosing heavily (Assertive) + No Pressure if narrowly losing (Calm)

Individual Halftime
(Bad < 6.8) : Not Happy With performance (Assertive if Losing) (Calm if winning)
(Average 6.8): No Individual Talk
(Good > 6.8): Have faith/there is more to come (Calm)
(Great > 7.2): Happy with performance (Assertive)

Post Match
Follows the same principle for the halftime team and individual team talks

NOW YOU CAN FOLLOW THE SAME ADVICE FOR TRAINING AND TACTICS YOUR RESERVE AND YOUTH TEAMS BUT REMEMBER THAT ITS BEST IF YOU USE 1ST​ TEAM TACTICS IN RESPONSIBITIES TO ENSURE THE PLAYERS THAT GET PROMOTED ARE READY TO INTIGRATE QUICKLY TO 1ST​ TEAM ROLES.