NUFC Joe

Reaction score
What sort of tactics do you use for this level lads?

Away and Home style would be much appreciated... It seems to be hard to get it right for the BSN league!

I think most people play defensive football when playing at this level - I don't think that's absolutely necessary.

I also don't believe in one type of tactic for all teams. Here's what I would do:

1) Use your team depth report to see what formation would a) enable you to play all the best players in your starting team without sticking them in a position they're not familiar with and b) provide you with enough decent back-up in case of injuries, rest, etc.

2) Go through your team comparison report and see if your squad has any strong points. If it's passing and creativity, you may want to play a short passing game, if it's height with heading and jumping, you may want to do a direct game, especially if you also have fast players that can earn you lots of corners and a good free-kick taker to supply them with chances from set pieces.

3) You won't have the financial capability to completely change the way your team plays. Rather, find your weakest links, and replace them with players that fit both your squad personality, your playing style (i.e. if it's short-passing game, make sure they can pass well), and your strategy (don't sign players who will have to play out of position).

4) Try your best to play everyone in their natural positions and roles. You may need to occasionally force them to do something slightly different, but try not to minimize this.

Using the above you should have a strategy that fits your team. Fluidity and mentality are things you can tweak as you go. Don't be afraid to play attacking football if your team can do it. I think everyone playing a lower league club assumes that they must play defensively, but my team has the most goals in league 2 as well as the top scorer even though we were projected to be 24th. We concede a lot, so we're not in first, but the "score more than your opponent" strategy does work with teams that prefer to attack, even at this level.

As far as home/away strategies, I'm not really sure. I don't separate between home and away games that much, so I don't have separate strategies for each.

I have two tactics, an attacking 4-3-3 with 3 forwards and a defensive 4-3-3 with two holding mids, 1 CM and 2 wingers as the core. With each promotion I try develop a fluid, attacking 4-2-3-1. Just my blue print or playing in the lower leagues

Last edited:
Basic as possible for BSN/S - 442 or 451 with a quick forwards, direct passing and play offside. Work on your set pieces, make sure you consistently put the corners in the same area (near post / back post etc) and get your best header of a ball (Jumping, Aggression & Heading stats) on the end of them, you'll be suprised how many goals you get.

I think most people play defensive football when playing at this level - I don't think that's absolutely necessary.

I also don't believe in one type of tactic for all teams. Here's what I would do:

1) Use your team depth report to see what formation would a) enable you to play all the best players in your starting team without sticking them in a position they're not familiar with and b) provide you with enough decent back-up in case of injuries, rest, etc.

2) Go through your team comparison report and see if your squad has any strong points. If it's passing and creativity, you may want to play a short passing game, if it's height with heading and jumping, you may want to do a direct game, especially if you also have fast players that can earn you lots of corners and a good free-kick taker to supply them with chances from set pieces.

3) You won't have the financial capability to completely change the way your team plays. Rather, find your weakest links, and replace them with players that fit both your squad personality, your playing style (i.e. if it's short-passing game, make sure they can pass well), and your strategy (don't sign players who will have to play out of position).

4) Try your best to play everyone in their natural positions and roles. You may need to occasionally force them to do something slightly different, but try not to minimize this.

Using the above you should have a strategy that fits your team. Fluidity and mentality are things you can tweak as you go. Don't be afraid to play attacking football if your team can do it. I think everyone playing a lower league club assumes that they must play defensively, but my team has the most goals in league 2 as well as the top scorer even though we were projected to be 24th. We concede a lot, so we're not in first, but the "score more than your opponent" strategy does work with teams that prefer to attack, even at this level.

As far as home/away strategies, I'm not really sure. I don't separate between home and away games that much, so I don't have separate strategies for each.

I would say something similar to that. The key is to adept a tactic that try to use your team´s strong points as best as possible. It´s wrong to do the opposite. But believe me, it´s not an easy task doing it at Lower league teams. That´s the beauty of LLM!

If your going to make your own tactic I would recommend you to follow the principles of 'Keep it Simple Stupid' and play something like either a bog standard 4-3-3 or 4-4-2 as there are many players who can play in multiple positions signing wingers that can play both sides and cbs that are capable of playing lb or rb one of my key additions in my Halifax save was Cowperthwaite who can pla all accross the back line and the fact i had a cb that can play lb in Nick Wood. As well as this there are very few capable cams in this position in BSS or BSN so follow KISS and you can't go too wrong. A defensive style is either the best or if your looking for a downloaded tactic I'd recommend something like Harry's Edit or Mr. Hough Rolls Back the Years. With this you can get in some quality such as Koroma, Adam or Counago.