Taking over Ajax of Epirus – a PAS Giannina save

Dimsmy

Reaction score
I recently build a PC and got my hands on FM2020, so I decided to make my first manager story.
400px-PAS_Ioannina_Logo.svg.png

PAS Giannina is a Greek team, currently playing at the Second Tier of Greek football, having been relegated last year after a 8 year term at the First Division. The team is located at the city of Ioannina, which is the 7th biggest city of Greece.

The club has been given the nickname “Ajax of Epirus”. During the first years of the 70s, PAS signed many Argentinian players and played beautiful football during this time. Thus many people in Greece linked the team with Ajax and the football the team of Johan Cruyff was producing. That’s my personal objective as well during my spell. Play attractive, attacking football.

The club was very clear regarding what they expect from me.
Χωρίς τίτλο.png

The board expects promotion back to the First Division of Greek football within two seasons and that’s what we will be working on. Signing youngsters for the future is something that I absolutely agree with the board.

Budget is quite tight.
budget.png

That means I will be working mostly with what already exists in the squad, and maybe a free transfer or a loanee. The club also has a debt of 2.500.000 euros to be paid back until 2023, which results in a fixed 50.000 euros monthly expenditure.

Season Predictions
predict.png

We are one of the favorites to win promotion this year. The teams that finished in the first six spots, will continue in a promotion/championship group. The first team in this group is instantly promoted, while the second one will play a play-off match against a relegation candinate from the First Division.

Next Update : Squad, Transfers and Tactics

A meeting with the team was held at Zosimades.

104102410_2806282242830644_8871407278500633395_o(1).jpg

The quality of the team is very acceptable for the level of the league that we are competing. While there were some crucial departures, after having been relegated to the Second Division (Superleague 2), the team still has more than enough quality to challenge for the title and promotion back to the First Division. What concerns me is the lack of left-Backs. The only left back at the team is injured for a long term (8-9 months). Also, we are missing a pure, central AMF. 1 of the 3 goalkeepers will most likely depart, because 2 are all we need. The team doesn’t have a player that stands out from the rest when it comes to attributes. So everyone will be given equal time during pre-season to win a spot in the starting eleven. Below we see the senior squad and the u19s.

squadsenior.png

squadjunior.png

Transfers

To cover the lack of left-backs, we signed Robert Kumadey on a free transfer. He is a youngster as the Club Vision dictates and costed nothing. We’ll go with him until January, while Stavros Pilios will aid in case of Kumadey’s absence (although out of position). Alexandros Lolis, Giorgos Gogos and Angelos Liasos have been promoted to the senior squad.

kumadey.png

lolis.png

gogos.png

liasos.png

Departures
Pantelis Panourgias was sent on loan. He has some potential and his price is low. If he has a good spell on his loan we might earn more money in the next summer, while saving up a bit from his salary. I am trying to get rid of Makis Giannikoglou and Stefanos Siontis, which I consider redundant, but there are no offers.

panourgias.png

giannikoglou.png

Staff
When it comes to staff, Christos Drakoulakos and Dimitris Stoukas joined PAS for the roles of Head of Youth Development and Chief Scout respectively. Taking into consideration our finances and the goal of developing youngsters, strengthening the academy and the scouting team seems like a good choice.

Making the tactical decisions.

paralimnio-1-1000x781.jpg

After the team meeting, I took a stroll along the Pamvotida Lake to clear my mind. I visited the small isle at the center of the lake and had some Frog Legs and Tsipouro. The Tsipouro was a catalyst in my decision making. We will play an asymmetrical 4-2-3-1. The team is lacking a natural “Number 10”, but the other AMFs are more than capable of filling out this shortage.

formation.png

Next Update : Pre-season.

Attachments

• kumadey.png
    kumadey.png
    104.2 KB · Views: 45
  • liasos.png
    liasos.png
    297.1 KB · Views: 51
  • paralimnio-1-1000x781.jpg
    paralimnio-1-1000x781.jpg
    178.9 KB · Views: 42
And thus pre-season begun.
preseason.png

The pre-season started with a 3-0 win against our u19s team, and ended with a same win against the title contenders. I am more than happy with the pre-season. If I would point out any specific matches, those would against : AEK, Larisa and Apollon Smyrnis.
AEK is the 3rd strongest team in the First Division and we performed equally which is very pleasing. Larisa is also a mid-table side playing in the First League and we didn't allow them a single shot on targer, while putting 4 past their net. Apollon Smyrnis is the title favorite and a comfortable win against them, surely, means a lot about what is to come in the league.

Tactical Insight from pre-season.
goal locations.png
assist locations.png

goal types.png

goal assists.png

ccc.png

goal times.png

And finally the player stats form pre-season.
preseasonps.png

As I had predicted, for the time being, there aren't any major individual stand-outs. Giorgos Xydas and Alexandros Apostolopoulos are scoring and assisting the most respectively (both on the right wing).

The starting eleven for the upcoming competitive games.
11.png

Next Update : First competitive games of September-October.