Hello and welcome to my first story for FM16. I very much enjoyed writing my two stories for FM15, which some of you may have read: http://www.fm-base.co.uk/forum/football-manager-2015-manager-stories/293676-malmo-ff-swedish-adventure.html, and my lesser known Be A Player story, http://www.fm-base.co.uk/forum/football-manager-2015-manager-stories/298851-kid-plan-patrick-liljenqvist.html. Huge thanks to Lippo255 for designing the banner which you see above.
One problem I had with my Malmö story was that it became too easy too quickly, and I began to lose interest. In order to avoid that kind of situation from recurring, I’ve decided to play in one of the higher leagues - the English Premier Division. I wanted to write a Liverpool story, probably a youth challenge, but decided that there would be plenty of those around, and I didn’t want to steal Brendn’s thunder - or more accurately, have mine completely overshadowed! I can’t hope to compete with any Brendn story, and I’m not going to try - instead, I just hope that this can be enjoyable for me to play, and for people to read.
Another good reason to steer clear of Liverpool is Jürgen Klopp. Dortmund are my favourite team behind Liverpool, and Klopp has been my favourite manager for years. I’m perfectly happy to leave Liverpool to him. Instead, I’ve opted for my second favourite English team, Southampton. With a famed youth academy and an admirable club structure, all the foundations are there for some real success, including a squad which has the quality to mount a challenge for the European places. Besides that, my favourite ever FM save was a 5 and a half year career with Southampton in FM14, so it was an easy choice to return to St. Mary's.
In addition to playing in a more competitive league, I’ve decided to place some signing restrictions on myself. I love signing players, especially young players, but apparently I have “voodoo wonderkid-finding skills” (Lippo again), and a particular affinity for regens, and so to increase the challenge, I have decided to limit myself, as difficult and painful as that is going to be! My rules are as follows:
- No more than ONE signing per season over the age of 18 from a non-English league
- No more than ONE signing per season under the age of 18 from a non-English league
- No more than TWO signings from other Premier League sides per season
- UNLIMITED transfers from lower league English sides. At the end of a season, the relegated teams will be considered lower league sides, and promoted teams will be considered Premier League sides.
- UNLIMITED transfers from any affiliated club. Any transfers from a parent or feeder club will not count towards foreign player restrictions. This will encourage me to make a broad range of connections.
- UNLIMITED Bosman/Free Transfer signings
- UNLIMITED signings of players classed as Home Grown at Southampton
The first window transfer budget will also be disabled.
Hopefully these restrictions will make this save much more challenging and therefore keep me interested for longer, and as a consequence, make it more interesting for you guys to read about!
I hope you all enjoy what is to come!