Taking the Reims - A Fallen Giant Awoken.

StuW

Why So Serious?
Reaction score
QcK4I.png

Stade de Reims. Formed in 1911 under the name Société Sportive du Parc Pommery, they really were the first French powerhouse. Six Ligue 1 titles to their name, and two European Cup final appearances in 1956 and 1959, the former being the inaugural edition of the showpiece. They never lifted the trophy, but their name is etched into European football history.

Historically, Stade Reims is viewed as a legendary club within French football, not only due to its domestic and European accolades, but its charity towards the France national team through the 1940s and 50s, as well. Reims were largely responsible for the first Golden Generation of French football with notable national team members Roger Marche, Raymond Kopa, Just Fontaine, Jean Vincent, Robert Jonquet, Armand Penverne, Dominique Colonna, and Roger Piantoni all playing for Reims during the national team's successful run to the semi-finals at the 1958 FIFA World Cup.
027.jpg

the home of Reims, Stade Auguste-Delaune II, built on the site of the original stadium

However, decline took the club from the dizzy heights, right down to the club's liquidation in 1992. The club soon reformed under the name Stade de Reims Champagne, and they started from the very foot of the French football tier. In the past 10 years, the club has found itself falling and promoted between Ligue 2 and the National league. However, the club have found some sense of stability, after a 10th place finish in 2010-2011 season, and will look to build upon that this season.

Roll forward to the 2011/2012 season. Hubert Fournier has left, and the club head into one of the most important seasons in their history. With a new, unproven manager taking charge, can they find the much-needed stability, and eventually roll back the years to their past glories???

MHrMg.png

Nice start. Will follow :)

The New Era is Ushered In......

hispanic_man_at_press_conference_microphones_bld073023.jpg

There I was, in my best suit, taking my first press conference as Reims manager. Luckily, I knew all about Reims' history, so I wouldn't be caught out by any of the journos here. It was a surreal feeling. I had spent a while looking for work in management, pretty much since I retired three years ago. Sure, there were offers, but none that whet my appetite, nothing that made me want to jump in, until last week, that was.

Q - You sit here as the new manager of Stade de Reims. How do you feel about taking over here?
A - I can't wait to get going! This is a huge chance for myself, and hopefully I can help this club improve.

Q - Stade de Reims is one of France's pioneer clubs. Do you think you have the ability to help this club return to the top of the tree?
A - Obviously, a project this size will take time. The change certainly won't happen overnight, but steady changes and improvements, and there is no reason why this club cannot return to it's rightful place at the top of French Football.

Q - What changes are you likely to facilitate this summer, if any?
A - I have had some meetings with club staff and players, and everyone knows where they stand for the forthcoming season. We have drawn up the list of potential signings for the club this season, and we expect movement in the next week.

Q - There is a lot of paper talk today about the potential signing of Bastia forward Yassin El-Azzouzi. Is there any truth in the speculation?
A - I have looked at El-Azzouzi, but as to whether we will move for him at the present time is another matter, which I am not discussing today.

Q - Previous managers of the club have been know to neglect their man-management duties, such as low communication with players. How will your management style work?
A - I am a firm believer in talking to players, asking their opinions, resolving problems face to face. I think it will help players to feel more settled, and much more comfortable at the club.

Q - As always, multiple competitions affect how a season plays out. Usually, managers will decide whether to focus on the league, or more so on the cup. Which will take priority for you this season?
A - Personally, we want to do as well as possible in every competition. If we are in it, we will perform to our best.

I have to say, I am so glad the press conference is over. Myself and the Chairman, Jean-Pierre Caillot, had the obligatory photo shoot to attend. You know, the generic "stand in the stadium next to chairman, holding home shirt with a big smile." Never was one for the camera. I jumped into my car and drove home to get some well-earned rest.
08c24ea4b7f64f7e_new_bmw_m5_b.jpg

As I got home, I couldn't wait to jump into bed. A quick coffee later, I was curled up in bed. So much stuff was rushing through my head. 'Where do I need to strengthen? Which players should I sell? Do I need to improve my coaching staff? Am I making a mistake?' Seriously, I couldn't sleep, as tired as my body was, my brain was in overload.

I was the first Reims manager in a long while that had actually been given a transfer budget to work with. This was mainly down to the club's two new shirt sponsorships, which raked in nearly 2m per season. I thought it would be wise to displace a good sum into the wage budget, so I can offer that little extra to players we need to sign. I knew I needed results fast. Caillot had gone through FIVE managers in a little over four seasons, and I was the sixth.

Tomorrow morning was the big one, I was on 'gardening leave' for the past week, and had little interaction with the staff. I was Taking the Reims, hoping to Awaken a Sleeping Giant.
MHrMg.png

Great start enjoyed reading mate will
be following :)

Not "Reiming the opposition from behind"? Son, I am disappoint. Will follow though.

Not "Reiming the opposition from behind"? Son, I am disappoint. Will follow though.

Because it is from the manager's perspective, 'Taking The Reims' is much more apt :)

Stu_running_football.jpg

The very next day, I hit the training ground early, so I could get a feel of the surroundings. Around an hour later, the players start to show up. A team meeting was scheduled, which went without a hitch. I had some very important work to take care of, so the rest of the staff took care of the training. I headed to my office for the very first time. It was simple, with a desk, sofa and shelving. Behind the desk, I noticed a huge framed image, which showed players like Raymond Kopa, Michel Hidalgo, Carlos Bianchi among others, with hauls of trophies the club had won in years past.

It was then I really noticed how important this club was to the fans, the success is ingrained into the club, and that I was the man that could change the fortunes of this one great club. I spent the day talking with several agents, players and clubs, regarding players incoming and outgoing. For all of those phonecalls, at least 20, I had two or three promising contacts.

The following day, I had interviews with two players who I really wanted to bring into the side. I had managed to persuade the agents of ex-Liverpool full-back Philipp Degen, and Odd Grenland keeper Andre Hansen to fly out to northern France. First up, I had Degen. He was my number 1 target. A free-agent, and a player that has experience at the highest level with Liverpool and Borussia Dortmund.

AP - Welcome to Reims. Thank you for flying here and taking time to listen to my plans for the club.

FA - Thank you for inviting me. My client has a lot of interest in him, so I would prefer we get down to this quickly.

AP - OK. Here at Reims, we want to sign players that can come in and make an improvement to the starting XI straight away, and also will be of good enough quality to perform in Ligue 1. We believe that Philipp would certainly give us that. We want to improve so that we can look at pushing towards promotion in the next two seasons.

FA - My client is very ambitious, and will certainly relish the challenge. I provided him with some background info on the club, so he knows as much as possible about every option. Even thought the club is in the second tier, he is interested to hear the project. My client has also given me a minimum expected contractual agreements.

AP - OK. First, he would be considered first-team, no problems there. The wages will not be a problem I don't think. Although, I don't want any wage rise clauses in the contracts, but I will compensate that with a little extra in fees for yourself and the player.

I checked over the list, made my own counter-offer, which, if I'm honest was very fair for all.

FA - I think we have an agreement in principle here. I will forward this to my client, and we will be in contact in the next day or two.

handshake.jpg

We shook hands, and he left. The next interview was a lot easier, and that deal was concluded within the hour. I had signed my very first player for Stade de Reims. 21-year old Norwegian keeper Andre Hansen had signed for the club, in a deal that would cost the club 250,000. I left the training ground a very happy man. On the way out, there were some youngsters, proudly bearing the colours of Reims. I stopped, signed their shirts/magazines, and made my way back to the hotel.

Little did I know the trouble that awaited me at the training ground the next day....

MHrMg.png

EYULk.png

I pulled up to the training ground the next day at around 8am. I dragged myself to the office, where a pile of letters and the like awaited me. I glanced at the days schedule, which was very much tight. Three player/agent interviews, some club staff meetings, with training in there too. We had managed to get former Liverpool striker Krisztian Nemeth to talk to us, who would be the first in today. Along with two others, Shakhtar-3 defender Olexandr Chyzhov and Jude Nworuh of
Midtjylland.

Firstly, I made my way to the training pitch, where the team had started training. My Assistant informed me of a 'war of words' between Johan Liebus and Aissa Mandi. He said the pair had been arguing over a silly defensive mistake in the training match, which eventually saw them head-to-head. Players managed to part the duo, and Liebus and Mandi were sent to the sides(opposite side, I may add).

1312190440-69.jpg

I decided to take myself to speak to both players. Aissa had decided to sit just behind the goal. He was very much...******-off. He told me that he had been caught out of position, which cost the side a goal. Liebus had rushed out 20 yards to confront him. I told him that Johan was a senior player, and that as a youngster, he needs to learn to take the flak from his mistakes. I motioned him towards the pitch, where he resumed training.

Johan Liebus was a different matter. His anger was clear. He was swearing, motioning frantically with his hands. I calmed him down eventually, and made sure he knew that his aggressiveness wouldn't be tolerated. He also took his place on the training ground. As you would think, that would be the end of that confrontation. Until around 15 minutes later. Mandi was bearing down on goal, ironically the keeper was Liebus. He hit the ball too far ahead of himself, as you half expect a defender to do in that position. Johan managed to gather it up, but Aissa didn't stop. He clattered into Johan, which was a catalyst for his reaction. Johan jumped up, and grabbed the youngster. They both tried to land punches. Staff and players quickly moved to separate them.

fighting.jpg

I decided there was only one thing I could do. They were both in breach of club conduct. I later managed to speak to both. Both were fined two weeks wages, suspended indefinitely, and transfer-listed. Aissa and Johan were very good players, Johan was indeed the number 1, but after the shenanigans on the field today, there wasn't much else that could be done. The club would lose two important players, but would eradicate any doubts over the new regime's stance.

As the day went on, we agreed contracts with Nemeth, who would join on 1 July, and a deal in principle was agreed with Chyzhov. I received a phone-call just before I was about to call it a day. Andy Black, the agent of Philipp Degen was on the other end.

AB - Hello, I am calling just to inform you that myself and my client, Mr. Degen have reached a decision. Philipp has decided that a move to France is something he is happy to do, and the ambition the club have shown, and the efforts made to sign him are more than enough to make up his mind. We have now sent the paperwork to the administrative people to have it finalized.

ME - Superb. We will look forward to seeing him report to training on the 1st July. Thank you Mr. Black.

So, my second signing. Philipp Degen, who will be a major player in the club's season. With a former team-mate, Krisztian Nemeth joining, I hope this would help them both settle. I left the office, under my arm was a pile of papers, as I prepared for the trip to Germany to face Hessen Kassel. I wasn't going to be in charge, as I felt it would be a good time to get some scouting done. I had bought tickets to watch Stuttgart Kickers, Reutlingen and Ingolstadt. So, a very busy week ahead for me.

Quality so far! Did you make that Stade De Reims logo mate? its nicee! :)

I haven't had time to do this, may re-start again.