Talk of the Toon! (story of a rookie manager)

gamestar

Reaction score

NEWCASTLE GO DOWN!

Devastation on Tyneside as Newcastle United were finally relagated from the Premier League following a 1-0 defeat away at Aston Villa. Thousands of heartbroken fans left Villa Park in tears as they tried to come to terms with relegation from the top flight of English football.

Many doubts remain over the future of caretaker manager and geordie legend Alan Shearer, who is set for showdown talks with chairman Mike Ashley.

SHEARER STEPS DOWN

Newcastle United have confirmed that Alan Shearer has stepped down from his role as the club's caretaker manager following the club's relegation to the Championship.
Numerous managers have been linked with the vacancy including Lee Clark, Terry Venables and Alan Curbishley however the club has issued a brief statement saying that they will not be rushed into a quick appointment.

my story starts here......

My name is Robbie Thompson, a 39 year old ex-pro footballer. the North-East of England is my home, born and bred. I had an enjoyable football career which funilly enough started with Newcastle United as a youngster, i only made 6 first team appearances for my beloved Toon Army before it was decided or then manager Jim Smith decided i wasnt 'good enough' to make the grade.

I then went on to make a decent career for myself, i was a bit of journeyman you could say, couldn't really settle, there was only one team i wanted to play for and that chance had gone, Coventry, Derby, Brighton amongst my former clubs before i finished my playing days at the age of 34 at Carlilse United, i won't lie my legs had gone at 30 and i was never the quickest striker to start with!

The next best thing for me was football management, it's something i'd looked forward to and wanted to get into, i started my coaching badges whilst i was at Carlilse and was keen to kick on with it, my first oppurtunity was helping out coaching England U-17's, it was great to work for the F.A i really enjoyed it, then a few years ago Glen Roeder called me and offered me a coaching vacancy at the club where it all began......Newcastle United, i didn't have to think about it, i said 'YES!' within seconds. I have been coaching at Newcastle since 2006 but a phone call would soon change all of that.......

newcastlelogo.png

more to follow....opinions welcome!

Last edited:
mike_ashley_newcast_353448a.jpg

There was an air of uncertainty around the club after the relegation, it had hit everyone at the club hard, players were jumping as you would expect. Michael Owen, Mark Viduka and Obafemi Martins to name but a few. My future was in the balance, what if a new manager comes in? what if he brings in his own staff? i couldn't take being let go by this magnificent club again. Rumours in the press were ever flowing about a possible new manager but myself and the other staff were left in the dark about the whole scenario, we didn't know what was going to happen....

We were on our end of season break still, we were due back in two weeks, i was in Malta on holiday when my phone rang...Derek Lambias the club's cheif executive....

"Hi Rob it's Derek, can you come back as soon as possible, myself and board would like to see you about an urgent matter"

He wouldn't tell me over the phone but i assumed i had been released due to cutbacks for the new season budget. I didn't want to leave Malta but i had to, the club booked a next day flight for me to come to Newcastle, i had to face the unknown.

newcastle_tyne_bridge_with_tuxedo_royale_floating_nightclub.jpg

I arrived back in Newcastle to see the familiar sight of the river Tyne and St James' Park, my meeting with the chairman was early morning 8 o'clock to be specific.....

I was greeted by Mike Ashley and Derek Lambias, it was quite a calm atmosphere in the room but an air of uncertainty.

"After thinking hard about this decision and talking about it at great length, we would like to offer you the managers job here at Newcastle, is it something you would be interested in Robbie?" said Derek Lambias

I could not believe it, i thought i was coming in here to lose my job not be offered one! what a feeling, i felt like jumping around the room and screaming like i'd scored a goal in front of the Gallowgate end, i kept my calmness though and replied

"I'd be delighted it's an honour to be offered this vacancy"

We then sat there for 2 hours discussing targets and the situation of the club, it turns out that it was a toss up between myself and Chris Hughton of who would be offered the job, They decided to offer me a one year contract and a target of prmotion within the first time of asking, which if i could keep hold of the core of the team we would be in with a fine shout.
newcastle_st_james_park2.jpg