Atarin

Reaction score
Could someone explain to me what this role does. When would you use it? In what system? The In-Game description is fairly vague.

With An Attack Duty the Target Man will lead the line and open space for his teammates to move into.

Is there a real world player who's natural role is Target Man (Attack) just so I've got a reference point. I can think of real world examples for every other Role.

You left out the main part of the description though.

He sits on the shoulder of the defenders and is a target (being a target man) for "out balls" and crosses.

I would describe Jamie Vardy as an Advanced Forward and he essentially does precisely what you describe. So how does a TM(a) differ from an AF?

This is the AF description: The Advanced Forward's main role is to lead the line and look to spearhead attacking moves. His primary duty is to be the focal point of attacking moves and is required to both score and create goials. His secondary role is to chase down misplaced through balls or clearances from deep, win posession and lay off passes or crosses to his teammates.

Vardy is a million miles away from a Target Man. Just look at the key attributes required? I said he's the focus point for long balls and crosses. That's not Vardy. This is a big strong guy that's good in the air, not a Poacher.

So what system would you use him in, as I don't think I've ever seen an uploaded tactic that used a TM(a).

Use him in any system you want. It's a big mistake to judge anything by uploaded tactics.

MY understanding is that a TM uses his physicality to get the better of the defence, where as players like Vardy use pace and/or flair to do it

That's not a bad description.

I'm assuming you would play a TM(a) up front on his own? I'd also assume he'd need W(s)/WM(a) on the flanks for service. He'd also want some support from deep so I'm guessing a CM(a) or at a push an SS or AM(a).

So something like GK(d)-RB(a)-CB(d)-CB(d)-LB(a)-DM(d)-B2B(s)-CM(a)-RW(s)-LW(s)-TM(a)

(1) I would imagine a Defend or Counter mentality would be best as we don't sound like a possession team.
(2) I'm guessing you'd want to push up quite high because chasing in behind is not a TM(a)'s game.
(3) I'm also guessing that early crosses and clearances that catch the opposition off guard are the TM(a)'s main supply so you'd be fairly direct.
(4) I can't see how this kind of team could play fluid football as a TM(a) doesn't sound very versatile and you'd don't want your wingers cutting in so it sounds like maybe a structured tactic.
(5) You're going to want a lot of width.
(6.) As for build-up I doubt you'd build from the back. Clearing to the flanks sounds appealing as does Pump Into The Box but I think Use the Flanks sounds more versatile?
(7) No passing into space, no Retain Possession, no Stick to positions or Roam from positions?
(8) Maybe select Be More Disciplined so they don't get too carried away?
(9) I'm not sure whether to select Run at Defence or Dribble Less, or maybe neither. I do want early crosses but I want my wide players to have some variety and not always ping it up at the first opportunity if there is space to bomb into?
(10) The age old question Whipped Crosses or High Crosses?

I'm not at all sure what I'd do about Tempo or Closing Down.

So maybe - Mentality: Counter. Team Shape: Structured. Width: Wide. Defensive Line: Higher. Prevent Short GK Distribution. Passing: Use the Flanks & Pump into the Box. Passing Directness: More Direct. Be More Disciplined. Final Third: Hit Early Crosses. High Crosses.

Sorry for the long post I just really want to understand this stuff.

It's not very complicated. He can play in pretty much any system. I've successfully used him as a lone striker in FM15 and also in two different 2-striker setups in FM16. It just doesn't matter as long as the system is set up properly and logically.

1 - Not sure how you make that leap. You can play an attacking game with almost any Mentality and you can play a possession game with any Mentality from Defend right up to Control.

2 - Your pushing up has to do with defence. Not sure what the TM has to do with that?

3 - Early crosses could work yes.

4 - Your team shape has nothing to do with 'fluid' football. It's a choice between wanting Creative Freedom or not. It also affects the gaps between strata when in possession.

5 - Width is good, yes, if you're looking to open space for him and getting crosses in.

6 - This may well fail. Both of those are quite extreme and probably more useful in late game situations. I can't imagine why people use this for 90 mins.

7 - You lost me here. It depends on what you want.

8 - Again, up to the whole system and what you want.

9 - Again it depends on what you want.

10 - Guess. It depends. Why do you want to limit yourself? Why the need to restrict yourself to one thing only?

I don't understand most of the questions. Especially from question 6 or 7, it sounds like you think you HAVE to have instructions. You don't. Team Instructions are to tweak what is already there IF in needs tweaking in the first place.

Edit: Tempo and Closing Down as well. There ARE already settings there. With a Defend Mentality, you have low closing down and a low tempo.

How would you go about it?

For the sake of argument, you've got a side with poor stamina (so they can't close down for 90 minutes), centre backs that aren't quick so they can't push too high up, you're central midfielders are more BWM/DM types with below average passing, shooting and dribbling. You do, however, have decent wingers/Wide Midfielders and 1 or 2 big strong, powerful Target Men with good finishing (but they lack pace).

How would you set them up?

The defensive line can't be too high or your CB's will get exposed. You can't be too deep as a team though or you're striker/s will be too far away from goal, they're slow and can't exploit space in behind.

Its this conundrum that has always perplexed me.

How would you go about it?

For the sake of argument, you've got a side with poor stamina (so they can't close down for 90 minutes), centre backs that aren't quick so they can't push too high up, you're central midfielders are more BWM/DM types with below average passing, shooting and dribbling. You do, however, have decent wingers/Wide Midfielders and 1 or 2 big strong, powerful Target Men with good finishing (but they lack pace).

How would you set them up?

The defensive line can't be too high or your CB's will get exposed. You can't be too deep as a team though or you're striker/s will be too far away from goal, they're slow and can't exploit space in behind.

Its this conundrum that has always perplexed me.
I can't say with so little information.

This is what I do every single time: http://www.fm-base.co.uk/forum/football-manager-2015-tactics/328095-starting-new-club.html