darthkir

Reaction score
Hi,

I'm trying to understand the way to properly implement the target man instruction. My general tactic is like this. I like to play narrow formation with attacking emphasis through the channel. Short passes with slow tempo and patient build up of play. I some times like to use a target man with the purpose of spear heading the attack and to hold the ball up front.

My questions are;

1. If I tick the Target Man option in the Team Instruction, will my players bypass the team instruction (short passes) and instead long ball to the target man every time?

2. If I dont tick Target Man option in the Team Instruction, if I instruct my wingers to cross to the Target Man, will it works?

3. Can the Target Man option work in conjunction with the Playmaker option? How will the player choose to distribute the ball to which one?

Please advise, thanks.

I don't have the time to delve into 1 and 2

but #3 I can

Basically, when in an attacking position your players will look to give the ball to the target man as he's the focal point of attack.

The playmaker will receive the ball in midfield during build up play and counter attacks, which allows him the time and space to craft opportunities.

Target man screwed up my play. I play 4-2-3-1 fluid with short passes. Changed Target man to Complete forward and it worked well.
#1 sometimes.
#2 No.
#3 I doubt so, playmaker passes the ball up, then my player will pass the ball to my target man which my TM decides who to pass too. Doesnt work well since hes the only man up there..

Just sharing...

Target Man

This is the striker that the team will look to feed the ball to or will use to hold the ball up. With the right tactics and method of supply, the target man can be successfully set as an attacker playing in any of the roles available for strikers, but most effectively as either a target man, poacher/advanced forward or complete forward. Target man supply should suit both the type of target man and your tactics. Setting supply as to head suits a more direct passing style, while setting as to feet suits shorter passing. Run onto ball could be utilised with either. Also, if playing direct passes to a target man your passing focus should be set accordingly.

For the target man role the striker should be tall with excellent Heading, Jumping, and Strength, as well as good First Touch, Aggression, Bravery, Determination, Teamwork and Work Rate, but he need not be technically proficient. He is used to receive long balls and provide flick-ons, knockdowns and lay-offs to other attackers or to hold up the ball whilst teammates join the attack. Therefore this role is suited to a more direct passing style and the target man should have at least one strike partner or an attacking midfielder for support, as he is likely to be ineffective playing as a lone forward. Target man supply should be set as to head. He should generally be given a support duty, however if he also has good Finishing, Anticipation, Composure and Creativity then an attack duty could be used.