DonVilla

Reaction score
Hi all, I am having serious trouble getting the best out of a target man in this years FM. I have played numerous saves with Aston Villa, using Kozak, Benteke and Stracqualursi, and various formations, 4-2-3-1, 4-3-3, 4-4-2, however the target man always played poorly.

I am now playing with Southampton, doing rather well, sitting 4th in the league currently at end of Jan. I have Pelle and Gallagher as target men, Pelle is averaging around 6.60 and Gallagher around 6.80. They are both consistently poor, though Gallagher does have the odd game where he performs well, pity his fitness is really poor, so I am unable to give him a longer run in the team without rest.
I am playing 4-3-3. The problem does not seem to be lack of support from midfield, as when they win knock-ons, there is often a player on the end of it. They just seem to rarely get into goal-scoring positions. I prefer to play the target man on support, to enable me to retain possession, however have tried on attack, with no improvement in goal-scoring.

Any suggestions please?

Hi all, I am having serious trouble getting the best out of a target man in this years FM. I have played numerous saves with Aston Villa, using Kozak, Benteke and Stracqualursi, and various formations, 4-2-3-1, 4-3-3, 4-4-2, however the target man always played poorly.

I am now playing with Southampton, doing rather well, sitting 4th in the league currently at end of Jan. I have Pelle and Gallagher as target men, Pelle is averaging around 6.60 and Gallagher around 6.80. They are both consistently poor, though Gallagher does have the odd game where he performs well, pity his fitness is really poor, so I am unable to give him a longer run in the team without rest.
I am playing 4-3-3. The problem does not seem to be lack of support from midfield, as when they win knock-ons, there is often a player on the end of it. They just seem to rarely get into goal-scoring positions. I prefer to play the target man on support, to enable me to retain possession, however have tried on attack, with no improvement in goal-scoring.

Any suggestions please?
Yeah i had a tweak of another guys tactic a 4 - 3 -3 playing the Target Man in the middle with a False 9 on the right side and a Treq/Deep Lying Forward on the left seemed to work wonders for me and the Target Man always scored way more than a goal a game for me.

The problem wasn't getting him to score it was the opponents stopping him scoring.

I would not put the Target Man on Support if you want goals try sticking him on attack and i always found that giving him no instructions seemed to work out best for me.

Also if you are going to play a 4 - 3 - 3 try and get the other 2 strikers to drift wider i had my False 9 on Roam from Position and the Treq to run wide with ball.

Yeah i had a tweak of another guys tactic a 4 - 3 -3 playing the Target Man in the middle with a False 9 on the right side and a Treq/Deep Lying Forward on the left seemed to work wonders for me and the Target Man always scored way more than a goal a game for me.

The problem wasn't getting him to score it was the opponents stopping him scoring.

I would not put the Target Man on Support if you want goals try sticking him on attack and i always found that giving him no instructions seemed to work out best for me.

Also if you are going to play a 4 - 3 - 3 try and get the other 2 strikers to drift wider i had my False 9 on Roam from Position and the Treq to run wide with ball.

Thanks, actually playing 4-3-3 DM Wide. One of my wide players is a Winger and the other an IF. My 2 CM's are Advanced Playmaker (Att) and DLP (S).
I don't necessarily mind if the Target Man doesn't score many as the players around him score plenty, but his performances are terrible. May need to check his other stats (headers won, passes complete, etc.) to see what the actual problem is.