SmoothJitsu

Reaction score
Ever since FM14 came out i have been struggling mightily to have a good counter tactic, i once created a decent one but the formation doesn't fit the team i'm managing right now.
I have tried every **** combination of TI's and player roles and the games consist of me getting pummeled for 90 minutes.
the games usually finish with them having 35 shots and me having 3. Which would be fine by me if my chances were all CCC's and theirs were mostly long shots but this is not the case. it's usually the other way around.
What i look for in a counter tactic is what most people look for. Drop deep make the other team come forward and create an imbalance to then hit them with fast transition football. But i never achieve this. In fact even when i'm a far inferior team my control tactics work far better than counter tactics.
So my question is. How do i counter?

As far as I know dont get fooled by the "counter mentality" it doesnt automatically mean a counter tactic
Anyway, for example 4-2-3-1 is a good counter tactic I think.

Instructions like "drop deeper", exploit the flanks with fast wingers.
Play out of defence, higher tempo.

Also you need to set a LOT of attack roles I think, so your players get forward.
I would do a 4-2-3-1, attack roles on the whole front 4 and play with wing backs.

This along with drop deeper shout, and other tools to pull your team back.

But what I think is easily neglected is that counter attacking is kind of an attacking mentality
It really is and you need to make your team burst forward

As far as I know dont get fooled by the "counter mentality" it doesnt automatically mean a counter tactic
Anyway, for example 4-2-3-1 is a good counter tactic I think.

Instructions like "drop deeper", exploit the flanks with fast wingers.
Play out of defence, higher tempo.

Also you need to set a LOT of attack roles I think, so your players get forward.
I would do a 4-2-3-1, attack roles on the whole front 4 and play with wing backs.

This along with drop deeper shout, and other tools to pull your team back.

But what I think is easily neglected is that counter attacking is kind of an attacking mentality
It really is and you need to make your team burst forward

View attachment 323533View attachment 323532View attachment 323531

I came up with this. now obviously i only played one match but it looks like a decent base to start tweaking it and make it good

Edit:

2nd game. Exactly what i'm looking for when countering. High CCC's with less shots. disapointed with the result though

View attachment 323529

Last edited:
what you need to realise, is that counter attacking is a more cautios style of play...that means you mostly look to defend, and attack on the break...when the counter isn't on, your team should be playing a sensible, low tempo game, and you should set your TI to suit this. You cant force counters, they happen naturally when there is less then x players between you and opposition goal...

I would suggest using a formation featuring a DM to releive pressure on your defence. Regarding TI, you should drop deeper, play narrower, stick to position, slower tempo. Team shape should prefarably be more structured, although you can perhaps get away with flexible.

If you decide to drop deeper, you will mostly be attacking on the break and defend yourself. However, you can also push up, and rely less on counters and more on passing through defence and creating chances from further up the pitch, closer to their goal. You will still ocassionaly counter if opposition is more attacking and tries to pin you down.

In any case, you would benefeit form a strong striker that will hold up the ball for the rest of your team. Or perhaps a more creative player. If you opt for more direct passing, he will be the target for crosess and through balls, and he needs to pass the ball to a teammate with good finishing.

Last edited:
In fact even when i'm a far inferior team my control tactics work far better than counter tactics.
So my question is. How do i counter?

THIS. This happens so much and when I'm managing a big team, counter works better than control in away games against smaller teams.

THIS. This happens so much and when I'm managing a big team, counter works better than control in away games against smaller teams.

Yeah away games this year as a bigger team are quite a tough nut to crack. they play like animals and control possesion and nothing is taking the ball away from them. at least for me