Harris4Ips

Reaction score
Ive always had a good eye for buying players and young stars on Football Manager games. On FM2014 i finally seem to have mastered the tactics after creating my own very successful versions.

However, Football Manager is becoming so detailed nowadays. Taking the time to train your tactics, train players for positions and roles, talking in the media, talking to your players all have a major effect on your player now. Whether it be good or bad.

Looking through the forums, you always find a new idea of how to improve your game play experience. Ive recently been thinking about training players in certain positions/roles preferred moves that would most suit them.

Based on this tactic,

PLAYER INSTRUCTIONS :-

Goalkeeper ( D ) - Pass it shorter, Distribute to defence

Full Backs ( Auto )- Pass it shorter, close down more, ease off tackles

Centre backs ( D )- Pass it shorter, close down more, ease off tackles

Deep Lying Playmaker ( D ) and Box to Box ( S ) - Pass it shorter, close down more & shoot more, ease off tackles

Advanced Playmaker ( S ) - Pass it shorter, shoot more, ease off tackles

Winger ( S ) - Pass it shorter, shoot more, play wider, cross centre, ease off tackles

Inside Forward ( S )- Pass it shorter, shoot more, play wider, cross centre, ease off tackles

Advanced Forward ( Att )- Pass it shorter, shoot more, ease off tackles

What preferred moves would you suggest for these following positions/roles?

GK ( D )

FB ( Auto )

CB ( D )

CM/DM - DLP ( D )

CM - Box to Box ( S )

AMR - Winger ( S )

AMCL - Advanced Playmaker ( A )

STCR - Advanced Forward ( A )

STL - Inside Forward ( S )

Is this something you think is best to leave up to your staff? Because alot of the time the staff suggest the defender to clear ball to opposite flank, or Dive into tackles. These two moves i dont approve as i like to play passing football and cautious tackling so i keep 11 men on the field!

All ideas and suggestions would be very much appreciated :)

Last edited:
You need to clarify what sort of football you'd be looking for as well, Control requires plays to sit, attacking to get furhter forward etc, wing play, requires hug ling for some, and so on.. roles is only one of the requirements..

You need to clarify what sort of football you'd be looking for as well, Control requires plays to sit, attacking to get furhter forward etc, wing play, requires hug ling for some, and so on.. roles is only one of the requirements..

You raise an extremely important point which i completely neglected mwuaha, Thanks for that lol

Im still getting used to this site, and found you can search Keywords in titles throughout the site. So i may pay a bit more tlc to that :)

SO SO many things to take on board to be awesome at this game isnt there,
even tutoring youngsters, loaning them out, loads more.... its mad, but addictive to pick up everything and apply it to your games :)

You raise an extremely important point which i completely neglected mwuaha, Thanks for that lol

Im still getting used to this site, and found you can search Keywords in titles throughout the site. So i may pay a bit more tlc to that :)

SO SO many things to take on board to be awesome at this game isnt there,
even tutoring youngsters, loaning them out, loads more.... its mad, but addictive to pick up everything and apply it to your games :)

Guide to Football Manager | FM 2014 Guide