Team cannot set quick players free...help!

baltar

Reaction score
I'm playing as Arsenal about 4 seasons in. I have very quick wing forwards (Schurrle, Walcott, a regen), and I want to develop a tactic that revolves around Ozil pinging through balls into the channels for the inside forwards to race onto and get 1v1 shots off against the opposition keeper.
Here's my two primary wing forwards that I want to be my main goal scoring threat:
View attachment 415453View attachment 415452

However, I keep finding myself unable to get this tactic working. From watching the games, it appears that the ball is getting worked around slowly to the top of the 18 yard box, where Ozil runs out of options and passes it into a defender. Alternatively, we get a good breaking situation, and Ozil makes a horrible pass like this (in red) instead of the preferred pass (in blue):
View attachment 415451
It is trivial for the opposing fullback to step slightly forward and intercept every pass Ozil makes because he's passing to the feet or the head of my inside forwards instead of into all the space in the world and letting my winger's pace do the work.

Team tactic is (4-2-3-1)
GK
WB(S) CD CD WB(S)

CM(D) DLP(S)
IF-A AP-A IF-A/W-A
CF-A
Attacking/Fluid with the following team instructions:
View attachment 415450
Not many player instructions, but the AMC has Move into Channels, the IFs have Shoot More Often, Cross Near Post, and the CF(A) has Pass It Shorter, Move into Channels.

I've tried using the team instructions More Direct Passing and Pass Into Space, but it doesn't seem to improve my chances of getting the inside forwards 1 on 1 and greatly increases the number of passes that go straight from my midfield to the opposing centerbacks. Work Ball Into Box helps sometimes, but then I get lots of blocked shots as my team passes around the outside of the box and is then dispossessed or passes to the centerback (just like real life Arsenal).

So, FMBase community, can you help me get my players to play as I want them to? Any help or ideas would be much appreciated!

How does your team function with so many instructions?!
Sometimes in this game you have to trust your players to play the way they want in a less rigid tactical setup. I mean, if you are restricting a world-class (form is temporary, class is permanent) player like Ozil's ability to play his natural game you are doing yourself no favours.

You also have too many attacking roles, you aren't encouraging play between the lines, one of those final third players should be on support.

For example...

View attachment 415365

4 Attack, 3 Support, 3 Defend- the same as you, but more evenly spread all over the pitch. In your case, if all of your forward thinking players are trying only to score/ beat a man for themselves, pushing at the opposition all the time, the AI defence will just sit and try to soak up your play, with "the opposing fullback to step slightly forward and intercept every pass".

Try switching to control, adjusting your roles and removing some of your instructions. If you are playing fluid its better not to give them too much instruction as it leads to confusion/lack of movement.

Hi

I would place your forward down as an AMC EQ, Formation in front 2* IF Attack and 2* AMC EQ. Pass the ball into space and use Direct passing, also have attacking wide defenders to overlap.
You will have an offensive force :)

There are 3 big problems with your tactical setup if you want ?zil to supply your forwards with lots of through balls.

First off you need to use "pass into space" as it makes your players look for the space in behind the opponents defence.

You need to uncheck "moves in channels" for the amc (AP), if you want him to sit in the hole and spread the ball around. Also you might want to consider switching his role to an Enganche (perfect for the role you are describing).

Third you need to change the role of the DLP to something else if you want the AMC to be the primary playmaker. Right now you have two default playmakers (dlp and ap) which means that you player will look to pass either of them.