Pass into space
Play out of defence
Play wider
Push up higher
Tighter Marking
Lower tempo
Be more disciplined
Run at defence

I asked myself the same question. With highly structured, you should be able to use fancy roles, and simple ones with very fluid, but then again, you should be roaming with very fluid, and stick to position with structured, so I think he is correct.

On the other hand, if you play a structured, less agressive approach, and defend deep and close down less, you should have decent defenders with great composure, that know how to keep the ball, and he suggests limited ones...
i think "keep the ball" means transition phase, which is not needed in structured system

could you give me some tips on how to improve this tactic please

GK(d)

FB(a) CD(d) CD(c) FB(a)

DLP(s) BWM(d)

IF(a) AP(s) IF(a)

CF(a)

Attacking/Structured

Pass it shorter
Pass into space
Play out of defence
Play wider
Push up higher
Tighter Marking
Lower tempo
Be more disciplined
Run at defence
just try those recommended roles in structured system

just try those recommended roles in structured system

Ok, I am a bit confused with the MC (duties with attack) you advise against using players with support or defend duty?

Sorry I am from essex so I am completely retarded.

Thanks for your help.

Ok, I am a bit confused with the MC (duties with attack) you advise against using players with support or defend duty?

Sorry I am from essex so I am completely retarded.

Thanks for your help.
because MC with support or defend duty contradicts with the description of the structured system
you can try fluid system if you really want to use MC defend

because MC with support or defend duty contradicts with the description of the structured system

So, basically, you are saying there is no holding mid in flexible and structured? I think every tactic should have one.

and in very fluid you recommend treq, who doesn't help with defence, yet he is supposed to defend.

Maybe in next fm, they either remove duties for players, or allow us to choose more then one, then it would make more sense...Looking at things like this, the only viable option for a tactic is highly structured, with just one duty...

Last edited:

I'm not from Essex but I'm confused too: In the previous example, this means you would come up with this tactic, without holding MC's whatsoever?:

GK(d)

FB(a) CD(d) CD(c) FB(a) => FB's on support?

DLP(s) BWM(d) => MC's on attack?

IF(a) AP(s) IF(a) => All 3 on attack duties?

CF(a)

Attacking/Structured

Pass it shorter
Pass into space
Play out of defence
Play wider
Push up higher
Tighter Marking
Lower tempo
Be more disciplined
Run at defence

Would this be good and balanced formation?

attacking/structred

Gk

fb(s) d(d) d(d) fb(s)

RP(a) CM(a)

W(a) AM(S) W(a)

CF(s)

Would this be good and balanced formation?

attacking/structred

Gk

fb(s) d(d) d(d) fb(s)

RP(a) CM(a)

W(a) AM(S) W(a)

CF(s)

Not IMO looks far too attacking in MF and you'll probably lose defensive shape far too easily...

For me balance is having 3 defensive players, 4 supporting and 3 attacking or sometimes I'll have 3 defensive 3 support and 4 attacking...
Attacking is 2 defensive, 4 support and 4 attack...
Defensive is reserve 4 DEF, 4 Support and 2 attack or 4 DEF, 3 Support, 3 attack...

I like what OP has attempted but as he has tried to show you have to understand the player roles and what to expect... If you want to play structured then I wouldnt be picking a Roaming CM for example... Im sure there are ways to make it work but in terms of team shape roaming cms, box-to-box and ball winning cms all go against what structured/highly structured look to achieve IMO...
I also try not to have the same sort of roles on both wings but sometimes its best to keep it consistent if you want to maintain a consistent shape defending...

I think I have to agree.
Some very good insights here, also from Igneos (about flat and layered formations in combination with team shape) but I think if you follow the player roles and duties matrix to the letter you'll get slaughtered.

I will however give it a try and test some games with this approach, will keep you updated.

Well, I downloaded fm13 to see who roams there. I made a very rigid, contain tactic, and roles creator created were default, but more advanced wingers and AMC were set to roam. I'm not sure if this is a bug, or they are supposed to roam no matter what you choose to add unpredictability in attack?

Anyway, I just tried to create a possession tactic. I was thinking how I dont want to use BPD's as they initiate counter attacks, so very fluid was out of question, then I thought how I don't want to use a sweeper keeper as he also initiates counter attacks, so fluid was no longer an option, and how I don't want to use limited defenders as I want to play out of defence, so structured and very structured were out too, which left me with flexible. Team mentality shouldn't be agressive as I don't want players ahead of ball, but it also shouldn't be less agressive, as I don't want direct passess from my defenders, so that left me with standard, which should fit flexible perfectly, and is also the primary mentality of tiki taka. So, I've picked shorter passing and retain possession, to keep a high pass completion, as well as well as much lower tempo for the same reason, I've picked work ball into box and didn't pick pass into space to allow slower buildup, and play out of defence to discourage my defenders from clearing the ball long. That also meant I needed to push defensive line as high as possible, to keep them closer to midfield since their passing range is at minimum, and now I was left with just narrower or wider. Wider would perhaps allow easier goalscoring, but narrower would help us keep possession and regain possession easier, and pressing easier, so I've picked narrower. We should be suffocating space playing like this, and since it might look difficult to score like this it really isnt, as all passess are very simple, and flexible team shape allows for enough movement, and we take our time building up attack and creating that ccc. We wont create many lousy opportunites, we will create fewer, but better chances. I've picked an assymetric formation formation, and used roles and duties suggested in this thread, but I think it could work with a few other formations aswell. If anyone wants to try it, be my guest. Oh, it seems I shouldn't be closing down if I play like this. We are compact so range of closing down doesn't need to be great. It ocurred to me barcelona only presses for 6 seconds, and then goes to stand off, and I think this is it.

Last edited:
i think whats important is to balance your tactic, so many managers have unbalanced tactics and thats what finds them out - a wingback for instance will push up regardless but if you set them on support/attack they will go even further and basically never get back in time, i set mine to defend but i see them constantly getting up the field when the time is right to do so and they dont tend to get caught out as much!

you have to balance midfield aswell you cant have everybody on support - you can have a DLP set to defend, they will influence the play but they wont go frank lamparding it up the field leaving you short in midfield, most people also think a regista sits and rarely gets forward, wrong - they are only available in support so they will push on to join the attack also exposing your defence!

its about balance in my opinion IE Attacking works well with structured, counter works well with fluid - standard works well with flexible.

Best way to support an Enganche in a 4-2-3-1? Currently playing with Leipzig in Bundesliga and I'm planning on switching to a more offensive tactic where i can use Dominik Kaiser as an enganche behind offensive forward Poulsen. Should i pair him up with a midfield with a RPM and BWM to give him more space? At school atm, can post my tactic later.

I want to make a 442 formation, straight 442 with wingers.. What's the best roles instructions and that I should use?

gk

rb support dc dc lb support

bwm defend bbm support

amr support advplay attack inside forward attack

deep lying /are complete forward

no way man!! So, this table says i can't use DM C as an Anchor Man cause has only defend??!!

Well, it seems the amlr position is basically a wide forward position in this fm, and should be regarded as striker

Well, it seems the amlr position is basically a wide forward position in this fm, and should be regarded as striker

depends on how you play and instruct them.
on support they don't push up as much