Reaction score
Which is best? Or do you use both together at the same time? I lost 4-0 away to Nottingham Forest today and am wondering if my losing streak and the fact over the course of the game my team is generally outplayed and outperformed in every department is down to my preferred choice of setting the player tactics and the team tactics at the same time.

My thought to use both types of tactics at the same time is based on the fact you don't allow a player's own strengths to come out if you stick to just the team tactic. Whereas if you employ individual player tactics as well as the team tactics the players can play to their strengths and they play as a team too.

Hard to really give any advice or pointers without first seeing your team, formation, philosophy, results etc etc. So some SS would be good.
But imo team tactics come first, whether that's long ball counter-attack or a short tika-taka style because how the team play is a reflection on you and your ethos.
Now, when you say "setting the player tactics" does that mean you are adjusting slider settings? If you are using the 'tactic creator and not classic tactics' then I would recommend you leave players individual sliders at their default settings and just get the roles right for the tactic first.

Now, when you say "setting the player tactics" does that mean you are adjusting slider settings? If you are using the 'tactic creator and not classic tactics' then I would recommend you leave players individual sliders at their default settings and just get the roles right for the tactic first.

Exactly.You can make excellent tactic which suit your players only by leaving PI default and not touching it.FM is not that complicated.You can make a very good tactic only using your common sense and give logical Team instructions(same for player roles and duties).
Just remember that it's good to have one attack duty in defense,1 defese and 1 attack in your midfield and 1 support duty in your attack.Using right combos of player duties(Target Man-Poacher, DPL-AP,DLF-AF etc..) can have devastating effect on opponent.Really good advice for you is to watch your games and recognize a problem you have.I can write here a lot of things but there are already tutorials here for that.cheers

Hard to really give any advice or pointers without first seeing your team, formation, philosophy, results etc etc. So some SS would be good.
But imo team tactics come first, whether that's long ball counter-attack or a short tika-taka style because how the team play is a reflection on you and your ethos.

I manage Charlton Athletic so I have players like Leon Court, Yann Kermongant, Salim Kerkar, Danny Haynes, Chris Solly, Bradley Wright Phillips, Ricardo Fuller, Dale Stevens and Scott Wagstaff. I manage with the following tactic:

Passing: Shorter
C Freedom: More Expressive
Closing Down: Press More
Tackling: Default
Marking: Zonal
Crossing: Drill
Roaming: More Roaming

I began with a 0-0 away to Wolves, 2-2 at home to Leicester, drew with Blackpool 1-1, a 3-1 home defeat by Hull my first loss of the season, Bristol City at home was 1-1, Ipswich beat me 2-0 and now the 4-0 away defeat to Notts Forest.

Regarding the player tactics it is best I give an actual example. Bradley Britchard (MCR) likes to take Long Shots 'sometimes'. You can see that in grey when the tactic is un-ticked. If you tick it I assume you enable the player to employ that strategy.

I regularly change between 'counter', 'contain', 'control', 'attack' and 'overload' mainly over the course of the game. I also change between 'fluid', 'balanced' and 'ridged'. I don't tend to keep to one throughout. If I let a goal in (which is quite regularly) I change it to something else in a vain attempt to get into the opposition half and score. "If it ain't working, change it" it is my motto.

I never touch the tactic creator. That would be like you asking me to put together a car engine.

Hope that all helps.

My advice is dont change the philosophy rigid fuild etc thats like arsenal jumping from barca to west ham in a Heart beat

Don't change your tactic too much because it won't be able to gel with your team.Think of opponents you are facing and make 3 tactics (example:1 counter,1 standard and 1 control/attacking).use counter agains stronger teams,standard againstsimilar opponents and attacking against smaller teams.you can further tweak your tactic in-match by using shouts.

When I refereed to the tactic creator or 'TC' it was just to gain an understanding of what tactic system you used...'TC' or 'Classic'

If a slider is greyed out, such as 'long shots' that just means it is in the default position for that role and this is how the player will play. Now if you highlight/change the slider to rarely or often the player will adapt accordingly. But be aware that if you manually alter a player slider any shout you use that affects those area's will have no affect.

Constantly changing your tactic and making dramatic alterations to the style of play will not help your players settle or find their rhythm and is likely to have an adverse affect on the team’s performances. So constantly changing from 'counter', 'contain', 'control', 'attack' 'overload' and 'fluid', 'balanced' 'ridged' is not advised.

CauseAndEffectIsReal@neoseeker
Over-tinkering is the FM equivalent of running around in circles. It’s panicking. One long shot should not mean “Work Ball into Box.” You might be preventing your midfielder with great longshot/decisions/technique from a wide open 20-yarder. A 75/25 possession deficit at 6 minutes does not necessarily mean switch to a tactic that holds possession. Maybe you do, and correct the deficit, but you end up with no real opportunities. Do not respond to everything, respond to trends.

You have three tactics you can train for so you must try and cover as many scenario's you can within those three. IE:
1. A tactic and formation where you put your best foot forward and attack and try to dominate and press etc etc.
2. A tactic and formation that is as much offensive as it is defensive, player roles will change slightly in key areas.
3. A tactic and formation that is primarily defensive, you are away or against a stronger team, team strategy and player roles my change significantly.
Just make sure when you create the three tactics that when you change between them that the players stay in their assigned positions.

Last edited:
My philosophical input:

The team tactic is your 'defensive' stance.
The player tactics are your 'offensive' stance.

For team tactic organize how you would like your team to defend.
However when you receive the ball, you can change the game in a totally unpredictable way using player tactics.

Example: Arteta is playing as a CM with Ball Winning Midfielder set. However, that is when your team is not in possession. Once your team recovers the ball, due to player instructions; Arteta is now an advanced playmaker, dribbling from deep and playing risky through balls.

If a slider is greyed out, such as 'long shots' that just means it is in the default position for that role and this is how the player will play. Now if you highlight/change the slider to rarely or often the player will adapt accordingly. But be aware that if you manually alter a player slider any shout you use that affects those area's will have no affect.

Ok, I'm a newbie round here, but are you positive of this? I was under the impression the shouts would still work, but relative to where you had the sliders originally. So, if you had Closing down set all the way to "Stand Off", and shouted to "press more", than you would press more, but only to the point where the slight MIGHT get back into the "normal" range.

Ok, I'm a newbie round here, but are you positive of this? I was under the impression the shouts would still work, but relative to where you had the sliders originally. So, if you had Closing down set all the way to "Stand Off", and shouted to "press more", than you would press more, but only to the point where the slight MIGHT get back into the "normal" range.
I am 100% positive, if you un-grey a slider or tick a box that changes for instance: 'cut inside' to 'hug touchline' shouts will no longer change or affect a manually adjusted option.

To check this, just before you start a game make sure one fullback is set to support and have all their options greyed out and the other fullback un-grey everything and match it exactly to the greyed out fullback.
Now goto the team talk page and select a few shouts that will affect the fullbacks, such as 'overlap' 'pass from defense' and 'work in box' or any others.
Now go back to the players screens, note that the greyed out fullback is now markedly different settings wise to the un-greyed fullback which has remained the same.

Last edited:
Well I did what I wanted to do and that was have the team tactics set to default and use the player settings and I end up beating Watford 3-1 to record my first win of the season. I am overjoyed at the result. I was 3-0 up by 25mins.