It's a pretty negative team talk, I only use it if I'm playing a much lower rep team and your team is easily winning the game.
Like Mike said, a more positive one would have gone down better.

It was to not get complacent, exactly how is that negative? That's acknowledging the good first half performance but trying to keep their heads for the next half. I didn't exactly say I was unhappy or something. I don't see how it is unreasonable to tell players not to get complacent even if we were Barnet beating Barcelona or something.

It was to not get complacent, exactly how is that negative? That's acknowledging the good first half performance but trying to keep their heads for the next half. I didn't exactly say I was unhappy or something. I don't see how it is unreasonable to tell players not to get complacent even if we were Barnet beating Barcelona or something.

Dont get complacent doesnt acknowledge a good first half. Its like saying, we are just about doing enough here. If you wanted that, you should have used the one the assistant recommended.

And you certainly wouldnt use it as barnet vs barcelona.

It also implies that they're getting complacent, making mistakes and switching off. It's only from personal experience that I say it's a negative team talk because based on the reactions I've had from games it seems that way.
It's not about what is and isn't reasonable in real life, the game runs by a different set of rules and this is one of them.

If you wanted them to keep their heads in the game just go with "good half more of it in the second" or "wasn't bad but we could improve" types, like what your assistant recommended.

Last edited:
It also implies that they're getting complacent, making mistakes and switching off. It's only from personal experience that I say it's a negative team talk because based on the reactions I've had from games it seems that way.
It's not about what is and isn't reasonable in real life, the game runs by a different set of rules and this is one of them.

Perhaps the game should have made it a bit clearer then.

Dont get complacent doesnt acknowledge a good first half. Its like saying, we are just about doing enough here. If you wanted that, you should have used the one the assistant recommended.

And you certainly wouldnt use it as barnet vs barcelona.

There's room for improvement isn't the same as don't let your heads drop and seeing as it's the latter I wanted....

Perhaps the game should have made it a bit clearer then.

There's room for improvement isn't the same as don't let your heads drop and seeing as it's the latter I wanted....

But that's not necessarily what you should be saying to a side 2-0 up away from home with 10 men. Hence why your players are confused

But that's not necessarily what you should be saying to a side 2-0 up away from home with 10 men. Hence why your players are confused

They were'nt exactly playing out of their skins, they were lucky to be ahead and if they got complacent, West Brom could have pulled goals back. Still not getting how this is unreasonable.

They were'nt exactly playing out of their skins, they were lucky to be ahead and if they got complacent, West Brom could have pulled goals back. Still not getting how this is unreasonable.

Their ratings suggest they are doing fairly well, but can play better. They are also 2-0 up away from home with 10.

That is virtually the definition of good, but we can do better. Hence what the assistant manager said.

Their ratings suggest they are doing fairly well, but can play better. They are also 2-0 up away from home with 10.

That is virtually the definition of good, but we can do better. Hence what the assistant manager said.

I'm not arguing that they could do better, I just didn't want them to do worse. I'm not complaining that there wasn't a positive reaction, I'm just baffled that you can confuse and knock the confidence out of players by telling them not to get complacent.

I'm not arguing that they could do better, I just didn't want them to do worse. I'm not complaining that there wasn't a positive reaction, I'm just baffled that you can confuse and knock the confidence out of players by telling them not to get complacent.

I've explained exactly why you can put a player off by saying it. It is a good effort for the first half, and you didnt acknowledge that effort. Whether you accept it is upto you.

I've explained exactly why you can put a player off by saying it. It is a good effort for the first half, and you didnt acknowledge that effort. Whether you accept it is upto you.

Put him off why exactly? And the acknowledgement of a decent performance is implied or I'd have just said I was unhappy.

Put him off why exactly? And the acknowledgement of a decent performance is implied or I'd have just said I was unhappy.

But it ISNT implied when you say dont get complacent. They cant read what it is in your head. Team talks are far more subtle than you give them credit for. If you wanted that you should have picked what the assistant manger said.

You would have used dont get complacent if you were at home. at best. Even then probably not, certainly not in that situation away from home.

But it ISNT implied when you say dont get complacent. They cant read what it is in your head. Team talks are far more subtle than you give them credit for. If you wanted that you should have picked what the assistant manger said.

You would have used dont get complacent if you were at home. at best. Even then probably not, certainly not in that situation away from home.

So basically the game defines complacency different from the real world? The fact that they got confused even shows that they were complacent.

So basically the game defines complacency different from the real world? The fact that they got confused even shows that they were complacent.

No it doesn't. You don't seem to grasp that there is a context to it. And no it doesnt show that at all.

You misjudged the situation by saying dont get complacent, you would using if your team had been sloppy and you wanted to refocus their minds without being overly unhappy. They are 2-0 up with 10 men away from home, thats hardly a sloppy performance. They've havent set the world alight, but they have been fairly good, and you acknowledge that but you then want them to push on and not sit on their laurels, because they can play better. So you would say "that wasnt the worst half " (because it wasnt) but you can player better (because they obviously can). Which is exactly what your assistant manger said.

You confused them by effectively telling them to not be sloppy when they had not been sloppy. A half time team talk both addressed the first half and prepares for the second half.

Last edited:
No it doesn't. You don't seem to grasp that there is a context to it. And no it doesnt show that at all.

You misjudged the situation by saying dont get complacent, you would using if your team had been sloppy and you wanted to refocus their minds without being overly unhappy. They are 2-0 up with 10 men away from home, thats hardly a sloppy performance. They've havent set the world alight, but they have been fairly good, and you acknowledge that but you then want them to push on and not sit on their laurels, because they can play better. So you would say "that wasnt the worst half " (because it wasnt) but you can player better (because they obviously can). Which is exactly what your assistant manger said.

You confused them by effectively telling them to not be sloppy when they had not been sloppy. A half time team talk both addressed the first half and prepares for the second half.

Exactly how is that confusing? They had not been sloppy yet and I wanted to ensure they wouldn't be in the second half. It's not "You've been a bit sloppy, try not to be", it's as simple as "Don't get complacent". Where is the implication that they had been complacent?

View attachment 290039

We're down to ten men but two nil up, exactly what is wrong with telling them not to get complacent?

yeah mate..i NEVER use the complacent one...it obviously doensnt mean what it says in a dictionary lol
I saw brendan rodgers use it in one of his team talks on a liverpool doc when they were leading at half time..i mean u wouldnt use it in RL if you were losin would you!
I'd just use the encouragement ones whilst winning :)

I just won 3-0 away from home against Arsenal, and said passionately "I'm very happy with your performance and the result". Still one player decided to switch off. He had a 7.6 rating and has very good morale. People can be retarded in real life, and it has obviously been implemented in FM.

However, I do see the point Mike is making in regard to your team talk. I would never use that when winning away from home with 10 men. You even said it assertively, so some players might have interpreted it as if they were performing below par when in reality they were doing pretty good. Even if you disagree about the semantics regarding the part "don't get complacent", the team talk is also meant to comment on their performances so far. In my opinion you gave an impression of dissatisfaction.