kj94c

Reaction score
I'm really struggling with team talks this year, not sure why?

For example:

Match at home against Norwich, we (Man U) are 2nd, on a 4 game winning streak, Norwich are 17th, they lost their last 3 games. Odds are a Norwich with 10-1. In the press conference leading up to the game, I praise my players saying "they're happy and playing with confidence" etcetc, saying that "one loss won't defeat them, they're a strong bunch".

Pre-match team talk; I tell them all Passionately "We're favourites here, go out and get a win", only three players respond, Valencia, Buttner and Hernandez. They all go too negative "looked stressed" Buttner went to "Seemed to lose confidence".

Bearing in mind that their morale pre-match was all "very good/fairly good".

None of the other players responded.

Half-time we were 1-0 up; I told them Calmly "I'm pleased with how your playing but you could improve", 2 players' morale went DOWN, citing "looked stressed" and "looked nervous".

Full-time we JUST managed to hold onto a 1-0 lead, i told them calmly, "I'm pleased with the result but we must do better against weaker teams etcetc", 2 responded as "looked stressed".

Now. In FM12, a team talk like that, would've resulted in quite a few of the players looking either "motivated" or "happy" or "fired-up". But in FM13, if you give them ANY sort of constructive critisism like "could improve" or whatever, and their morale takes a massive nose-dive.

Any help? Am i doing something wrong? Do i need too be kinder/harsher?

To be honest even if you are kinder it happens aswell mate. Dont think theres really a way round it.

:/ it sucks! In FM12 even if we lost i'd assertively say "not happy" or "should have done better" and the majority would respond "fired up" or "motivated", as would be the case IRL!!! But now if i say it they all get upset or nervous or stressed! Its a real bummer.

Yeah, I'm quite fed up with this as well.

There's three ways (I've found) of getting good reactions from your players.

Pre match

1. Saying calmly that the players should relax and the result will come - results in your players being calm and relaxed (approx. 7-9 players react positively)

Post match

2. Aggressively say that they weren’t good enough, or something to that effect - Results in players looking fired up (approx. 7-9 players)
3. If you've beaten a team convincingly and say that they've done well, they'll look happy. (approx. 4-7 players)

The problem is that I don't necessary want to say these things to my players. For example if I narrowly lose to a good team away from home I’d rather say we were unlucky, which should give the players a boost in moral. Or if I’m playing Everton at Anfield and I say “do this for the fans”, it should work, at least with some players. I also find it ridiculous that if you ever say a player has played well (regardless if they have or not) that they would react negatively, it just wouldn’t happen. I find myself giving talks that will result in good outcomes (1,2 and 3) rather what I think the players should hear or how I feel as a 'manager'.

Cheers mate!! I'll try yr suggestion out next time :)

But yeah that's the annoying thing. It's not realistic to real life in one bit. Don't know why SI changed it from FM12 tbh :(
I understand trying to make the game realistic (and i think it is!!) But if you lose a match and you assertively tell them they should have played better or they were unlucky, they should respond fired up or positively, instead in FM13 they get all upset and lose morale.

Its frustrating because in FM12, if i was losing at half time, i'd give them a kick up the backside at half time, and more often than not, the team talk is what motivated the players to play better in the second half. I'd ALWAYS see the commentary "the manager must have said something at half time". Now there's none of that. SI didn't need to fiddle with team talks, they worked fine!!

I agree, Another thing is that if you tell the team that they played **** but tell an individual they played well, they often 'appear confused'! There's no confusion, the team played rubbish but you played well! They should be motivated!!! Needs sorting because like i said, i'm not using it instinctivly, i'm saying the same things, regardless of whether i believe them, every match.

I hope it gets tweaked? Doubt it though, they're too busy doing the ME. I hope they sneak in a little change to make it more realistic like FM12

Maybe try to set your past experinece as 'International football'? But I agree too whatever we say nothing work! Maybe don't say anything at all or hire a new *** man with excellent motivation & management attribute and let him do team talk?

Yeah, I'm quite fed up with this as well.

There's three ways (I've found) of getting good reactions from your players.

Pre match

1. Saying calmly that the players should relax and the result will come - results in your players being calm and relaxed (approx. 7-9 players react positively)

Post match

2. Aggressively say that they weren’t good enough, or something to that effect - Results in players looking fired up (approx. 7-9 players)
3. If you've beaten a team convincingly and say that they've done well, they'll look happy. (approx. 4-7 players)

I do this as well.

Also even if they play well but don't win i will give them the hairdryer because i want them to "want more"

Other think is i NEVER tell them they have "played well"; if they win i just say "good win" (i do this since 12), not sure if it actually makes a difference but i have a feeling that it affects the next match performance negatively, they get overconfident or something...

Maybe try to set your past experinece as 'International football'? But I agree too whatever we say nothing work! Maybe don't say anything at all or hire a new *** man with excellent motivation & management attribute and let him do team talk?

I'm a "continental" manager and i still get rubbish reactions :( My assistant Mike Phelan is pretty rubbish man management (13), But i suppose i could let him try it. I never normally let assistants do team talk because they always want to say something i don't agree with haha!

I do this as well.

Also even if they play well but don't win i will give them the hairdryer because i want them to "want more"

Other think is i NEVER tell them they have "played well"; if they win i just say "good win" (i do this since 12), not sure if it actually makes a difference but i have a feeling that it affects the next match performance negatively, they get overconfident or something...

I agree dude, i can never get a good reaction from them consistently like in FM12, they shouldn't have messed with the team talks from FM12. Now i can't get them motivated or give them constructive critisism at all!! Sucks :( i hope it gets patched.

I think team talks, are supposed to be harder in fm13, so you can't keep everyone happy, at superb morale for half the season, like you could in previous fm. You just have to accept, that from time to time, some players will react badly to your team talks, and I wouldn't say it's such a big deal.
Also I personally, go really harsh on players in talks, and it seems to go well (I've rather professional squad though) usually, when on good run, I tell them assertively/aggressively that I expect win, at half time if they're not winning - I' disappointed, if wining slightly or when they have average rating to keep focused/not get complacent, if winning and most of the players with ratings 7,4+ then I'm happy, although I haven't played a lot yet, it seems to work well.
On a side note, when someone is really not in form/played badly and reacted poorly at half time talk, I just sub him. None of them ever bounced back for me (I used to give them 15min in the second half).

So we're losing 1-0 at home to wigan when I'm Man Utd.. isay agressively I'm not happy.. everyone reacts with looking motivated, I then say Passionately I have faith, everyone then seems to gain confidence.. full time we lose 3-0.. I'm not saying that team talks should work every single game but they NEVER do anything.. ever

Maybe your team was just in poor form, or it was tactic related. Have your team really poor ratings, or was it around 6,7? Did wigan dominated the match, or they just scored lucky?
Also, I never make individual talks to entire (or close to) team. I use them sporadically to 1-3 players, so maybe that's issue, like I said I've never used individual talks that way, so I've no idea how it works, but if they reacted well, I guess it shouldn't do any harm, quite otherwise.
And after all, your talk seem pretty weird for me, first you told them aggressively that, you're not happy with their performance, and then you go nice, soft and tell poor fellas that you have faith in them...
Again I'm no expert, I don't know how things work technically, but logically it's a bit off for me.

I am set to "Semi-proffesional footballer" and do the Team-Talks myself, and I have no problem?

Most annoying thing is when one player plays well, and you HAVE to give the general team talk first. Man U lost 3-2 to West Brom at home, Bale scores twice in the second half but we still lost.

I say "your performance has not been good enough" to the whole team. Most midfield and defence are "fired up" Bale gets angry and his moral goes way down. I say to him personally "I am happy with your performance". He gets confused, and Wayne Rooney and Nani get angry and a bunch of other players become confused.

It's like what the ****? Rooney had a rating of 6.2 and Nani 6.8, no assists or goals. In general I have had bad responces from talking to players individually, where last year it worked great.

Maybe your team was just in poor form, or it was tactic related. Have your team really poor ratings, or was it around 6,7? Did wigan dominated the match, or they just scored lucky?
Also, I never make individual talks to entire (or close to) team. I use them sporadically to 1-3 players, so maybe that's issue, like I said I've never used individual talks that way, so I've no idea how it works, but if they reacted well, I guess it shouldn't do any harm, quite otherwise.
And after all, your talk seem pretty weird for me, first you told them aggressively that, you're not happy with their performance, and then you go nice, soft and tell poor fellas that you have faith in them...
Again I'm no expert, I don't know how things work technically, but logically it's a bit off for me.
No disrespect to Wigan but irrespective of the tactics Man Utd should be trouncing Wigan.. and of course with this being FM 13 they make triangle across the whole of the pitch like it's xavi and iniesta in the middile, except it's ben watson and james mccarthy..

Eh, I just can't play this game whatever I try

Well i've read in the new patch notes that they've "tweaked team talks" SO, hopefully we won't get such negative responses. I'll give it a try when i'm back from work.

If you notice team talks have got better since the 13.1.3 patch do let us know on here :D