Sole Pepe for 22 million to Arsenal and Johnson for 16 million, got Ter stergen in for 17 million and ... Cavani! 7 million up front, 18 across 48 months. Not sure how to play him with Suarez though.

I seem to be having awful luck with my Liverpool team. I've tried all sorts of tweaks, shouts etc with my tactics. Had them all fluid but keep getting beat by smaller teams. So annoying!

can anyone tell me how they managed to get on with selling joe cole. i offered him out for nothing but he never agrees terms with them.

Glad to see that it's not just me struggling with Liverpool! I've had a shocking league start although I've wiped the floor in europe. I've really tried all sorts but I think I've finally got a tactic working (just beat united 4-1 at anfield). It's a 4 - 2cm - 3am's - 1st formation. A ball-winner and a DLP seemed to work well. United had their attacks though, I may have to tell one of the CM's to drop deeper.

Tactics.

My way I replicate Brendon Rodgers with the 3 tactics 2 versions of the 4-3-3 one with DM and other with AM(4-2-3-1).Your third tactic I would suggest 4-4-2 or 3-4-3.Match training is very important balanced average -teamwork to start.Focus rotate-team cohesion-attacking-team cohesion.
Team instructions=Fluid-control-shorter-press more-zonal marking-stick to position.
FBx2-Support-cross deep often- aim targetman
CBx2-defend or Agger BPD cover
BWM-Lucas or Anchorman-4-3-3.
APP-Steven Gerard -4-2-3-1
Wingersx2 I do not set as inside forwards in any tactic cross aim Target man.
ST-pocher or CF set as target man in team settings.I also play Suarez as RWA.

Transfers First season.

Sell =Downing£11m -Doni£1.5m-loan cole if you cannot sell,
Loan=all offer for season even Jack Robinson for this season,
Buy=My suggestions are Wellington Nem-£3.5m-Leonard Kweuke-£3.2m Kara-£3.5m if he passes work permit offer £25k PW to each be quick all sought after players.I do not buy Demba Ba you can resell for profit him but he gets injured and goes on barren spells far to often for my liking.
Keep Sahin for the season.Try and get Drenthe on free £30k PW should tempt him.
Your team should have enough depth and cover to mount a title charge with the tactics to boot.

Staff.
Mutal Terminate *** man contract rubbish scouts and fitness coaches and hire Cruijff he is worldclass *** man,
Hire Carravetta and Pintus as fitness coaches there some good scouts free also maldini is one make him chief scout if you can.

Last edited:
I'm playing Liverpool quite well. We've got some nice results (4-0 against Fulham for example). The only problem is that we can't play against weak defensive team (we can't create good situation for goal). I think it's something wrong with my tactic. I'm playing 4-2-3-1 formation:

GK - Defend
FB - Auto
CB - Defend
CB - Defend
FB - Auto
CM (Lucas) - Defend
CM (Allen) - Auto
AMR as a Winger - Attack
AMF as a Att. Mid - Support
AML as a Winger - Attack
ST as a Complete Forward - Attack for Suarez, ST as a Poacher - Attack for Borini

Style: Fluid
Strategy: Control (sometimes Offensive)
Passing Style: Direct
Creative Freedom: More Disciplined
Closing Down: Press More
Tackling: Default
Marking: Zonal Marking
Crossing: Drill Crosses
Roaming: More Roaming

-----------------Reina--------------------

Johnson----Skrtel----Agger----Jose Enrique

----------Allen-----------Lucas----------

Leitner-----------Gerrard-----------Assaidi

-----------------Suarez------------------

So what do you guys think? If you have some thoughts just write here :) Thanks

Set your team instruction for creative freedom to default then set wingers and CM auto to NORMAL creative freedom.
Set your ST to much creative freedom- move into channels- roam from position-yes regardless of role.
I use Suarez as STC rarely, as he does not get over 20 league goals often for me and can be frustrating play him as RWA rotate with sterling for first season or two while sterling develops he is often in world team of year in this position and gets goals.I hate to say it but within 3-4 seasons he is normally sold.
I would set roaming to default as well as you seem to be trying 2 different styles of play.
Remember match training and focus also this is important for fluid attacking play.

Last edited:
Replicating Brendon Rodgers Liverpool tactics in FM2013:

BrendonRodgers philosophy and vision:Tiqui-Taka

Short passing maintaining possesion interchanging positions.
patient style of play, moving the ball in intricate patterns with crisp one or two touch passing, working the ball through various channels probing the opponent for the perfect opening.

-View attachment 290919View attachment 290920

Brendon Rodgers two systems of 4-3-3.

The two CM hold position and dictate as opposed to the AM who movesforwards into attacking positions to support the striker will look todrag defenders out of position to open space for ST/IF in Brendonstactics.
Ballplayed out from defense in both Brendons tactics.

The holding midfielder will try and dictate the rhythm and tempo, the two BBM will move forward when attacking and back when defending and try and control the game.
The IFs will get into box and support the striker in both tactics.
The wingbacks push forwards in both Brendons systems.IFs and ST interchange.

Implementingin FM2013
Teamsettings.
Style:Fuid/veryfluid
Strategy:control/Attacking
Passing Style:Shorter
Creative freedom:default(set for individual position)
ClosingDownPress more
TacklingDefault
Marking:Zonal Marking
Crossing:default
Roaming:Stick to position.

Shouts:PLayout of defense,Pass to feet,work ball into box,Retain possession.

Overcomming tactical/positional/player problems in FM2013:

As in real life having the wing backs set to attack leaves us exposed changing to FB auto or support should tighten up the defence in both formations.

4-2-3-1
Rather than 2 CM support in 4-2-3-1 i pefer Lucas as BWM defend and a DLP/CM.
I also play wingers instead of IFS as i find this more balanced and get better results particulary in the first couple of seasons when funds are limetid to buy players who are a better fit and the required quality.I also never play with a DLF ST/CF/P seem to give the best results.Steven Gerrard as APA one of the best in the game at this position.I do not interchange positions I play Luis Suarez as RWA in both tactics one of the most underated attribute wise in the game but plays very well here with trainning as AF Borini play and train as poacher I can acheive regular 60%+ possesion and win using the above as Liverpool reguluary acheive this in real life we are on the money.

4-3-3
IFs changed to wingers again with cross to Target man set in team settings I use this when protecting a lead and some away games sometimes interchangeing winger.s in game.Lucas plays better as Anchor man than DLP as in Brendons tactics but Allen is OK as DLP if a little short and lacks strength prefer in midfield.Lucas can turn into one of the best in the game as DM/BBM/A.
The 2 CM one is set CMA/APA and other BBM/BWM support full backs crossoften from deep target man.
This tactic works well against any tactic with a AP also but possesion can suffer in this tactic at times unless narrow.
Once I am fully fluid 4-2-31 this is very much a back up plan.

I do tweak a few other player settings creative freedom and the striker settings but hopefully this have given you ideas to try and an insight into Liverpool and Brendon rogers tactics and moulding your own I can see the a more purer mirror of BR tactics with quality IFS but so few and so expensive on FM2013.

Last edited:
Set your team instruction for creative freedom to default then set wingers and CM auto to NORMAL creative freedom.
Set your ST to much creative freedom- move into channels- roam from position-yes regardless of role.
I use Suarez as STC rarely, as he does not get over 20 league goals often for me and can be frustrating play him as RWA rotate with sterling for first season or two while sterling develops he is often in world team of year in this position and gets goals.I hate to say it but within 3-4 seasons he is normally sold.
I would set roaming to default as well as you seem to be trying 2 different styles of play.
Remember match training and focus also this is important for fluid attacking play.

Thanks for advice. I'll try it :)

I'm trying to recreate the playing style, roles and positions of my favourite Liverpool side, the 1987/88 side with the current squad. I'm a bit stuck on the Midfielders roles and duties and would like some advice. John Barnes will be a Winger, but your opinions what roles would Whelan, McMahon and Houghton have??

Basicly all of you dont now how to play properly Fm,this team is realy strong!

Go on my topic page 17 there is guide how to fight for title with Liverpool.

http://www.fm-base.co.uk/forum/foot...ed-champion-league-4-2-2-2-false-defence.html

I just done almost half season still undefeated with 17 year old W.Hughes as key player, and I have big chances to win Premiership,every day i post some new info there,also you can read all topic to learn some things.

You can see also there why Gerrard is kicked from team and Suarez transfer listed.

Last edited:
I'm trying to recreate the playing style, roles and positions of my favourite Liverpool side, the 1987/88 side with the current squad. I'm a bit stuck on the Midfielders roles and duties and would like some advice. John Barnes will be a Winger, but your opinions what roles would Whelan, McMahon and Houghton have??

Here my take:

Steve McMahon=CM/BTB/BW High tacking aggression stamina influence long shots teamwork work rate concentration.
Ray Houghton =RAM/IF High Technique creativity dribbling finishing stamina
Ronald Whelan=LM/CM/DM High Influence stamina work rate teamwork bravery determination passing.

Basicly all of you dont now how to play properly Fm,this team is realy strong!

Go on my topic page 17 there is guide how to fight for title with Liverpool.

http://www.fm-base.co.uk/forum/foot...ed-champion-league-4-2-2-2-false-defence.html

I just done almost half season still undefeated with 17 year old W.Hughes as key player, and I have big chances to win Premiership,every day i post some new info there,also you can read all topic to learn some things.

You can see also there why Gerrard is kicked from team and Suarez transfer listed.

Tell another joke.Sure I do not know how to play FM after 7 yrs, kick Gerrard from the team!!!! taxi for Vujevic

View attachment 292514

Last edited:
How to sell Downing and Cole? They want badly to stay in club, even if I tell them that I dont want to see them in my team. Sorry for my bad english, also.

How to sell Downing and Cole? They want badly to stay in club, even if I tell them that I dont want to see them in my team. Sorry for my bad english, also.

Downing should go for 11 million always offer to clubs at the start of your game.Cole is somewhat tricky to off load normally I send on loan if cannot sell for season, sometimes he will sell in 2nd season other times he has been on loan until the last year of contract then rots in reserves as he never takes mutual termination,,BTW if you do loan him always except the high % of wage contribution if you can.

Hello,
We have seen since Daniel Sturridge has joined the mighty reds a change in tactics has happened under Brendon Rogers,So we will start a new save and try and replicate this with success.

The formations are a fluid 4-1-1-3-1 changing to a 4-4-2 often in the match by Brendon Rogers Focusing on possession, pressing and exploiting space,
Liverpool have been very impressive using these formations of late and a few interesting player positions have changed lets look at some these tactical changes under Brendon Rogers.

Luis Suarez:
His role is now more of a true Trequartista with Sturridge drawing players out of position with pace and positioning Luis is moving into space between the lines providing,creating and shooting.
Daniel Sturridge:
His role is the Poacher running at the defence creating space and forcing teams to play deeper due to his pace and pressing the defence looking for one-on-ones and getting in behind the defence.
Jordan Henderson:
Has played centre Midfield as Box to Box pressing and driving forward but was deployed on the Left Midfield against Manchester City he is finding good form.
Stewart Downing:
Played on left and right Left as a winger when on the right he is an IF cutting in onto his left foot.He has also had an big uptake in form.

Now onto FM2013I have started in season 2013/14 as I could not sign Sturridge in first season and update not out yet.I did use both formations for season 2012/13.

Transfers In 2013
Simao £2.5m/LeonardKweuke £3.2m
Out
Doni £1.3m

Transfers In 2013/14
Daniel Sturridge£10.5m/ Merek Hamsik £27m(Gerrards replacement listed by Napoli)Mattia Destro free Vladimir Weiss free

Out
Joe Cole £500k Jay Spearing £2.5m Leonard Kweuke£11.75m
Loaned out Andy Carroll£200k PM 30% of wages

Terminated a lot of staff hired Johan Crujiff as Assman.

Both formations are fluid/control/shorter/Zonal marking/Drill crosses all other team instructions are set to default.

Team Training is attacking/ball control/team cohesion.

Shouts
Possession combination=Drop deeper/Pass to feet/Play through Defence/work ball into box/retain possession.(play out of defence can be added with the right defenders)

Attack combination=Push up higher/Pass into space/play wider/Run at defence/get ball forward/Exploit the middle.

Defensive combination=Drop deeper/Stay on feet/Play narrower/retain possession/stand off opponents.

View attachment 307289View attachment 307290

I will update Roles and more tatic depth in next post.

Last edited:
Hi everybody! My first forum post ever, first of all, please excuse me for some spelling,i'm Norwegian. I have also used a lot of time to try to figure this game out, trying lots of tactics and formations.

Background

I've been a Liverpool fan since 1989 and have never played fm with any other team. This year I was very eager to see how well I could develop Sterling, who has become a personal favorite in short time. Problem is that he does not fit (very good) in the formation I want to suggest.

Formation
I play with Norwegian language, so I might type wrong on the formation setup. Please just ask or correct me if wrong

As mentioned I've tried ALOT, but in the end I managed to do quite well with one I came up with on my own. I have not seen any other suggesting this one.
I play with Reina GK of course
Then I use two CD. Agger and Skertl. Agger as a ball playing, skrtl as a normal CD
Then I play with two WB. They do NOT form a flat line with the two CD's, push them up a notch(?) between defence an midfield. Just keep them at Automatic.
In the midfield I play with a centered diamant. That means Leiva as DM with defence as task. Then I play with two CM, Nuri Sahin as Deep playmaker, and Allen as ball winner, both with support as task. Then I use Gerrard in his preferred position as AM support. On the top I use Suarez as Complete attacker, attack as duty, and Borini as a poacher.

---------Reina--------
----Skertl--Agger----
Johnson------Enrique
---------Leiva--------
----Allen----Sahin---
--------Gerrard------
----Suarez-Borini----

I du not tweek the tactics much, but play standard and control. Against stronger opponents I suggest dropping from control to standard or counter attack.
However I'm not oversatisfied with how I play against the other top teams, specially Man U and Arsenal, who I'm having difficulties beating.
The fasit after first season: Second place, one point behind City. Win in carling cup and uefa. Dropped out early in the fa cup however..

Greetings. Just wondering. Has anyone here bought torres back to liverpool in your save? If yes, did it work out well?