Team unhappy for no reason - sometimes this game is annoying...

yaniv297

Reaction score
So I'm Hull City, 17-18, in champions league last 16, 3rd in league, doing great.

I sell a player (Will Hughes) because he's underperforming and United are offering a lot.
Terance Kolongo comes along saying he's worried about first team size. I tell him I'll fix that.
I buy 2 players this very window.
Kolongo for some reason is angry that the promise has been broken, despite the fact that the team is now bigger!
14 players unhappy at treatmeant of Kolongo.
Board emergency meeting about unhappy squad.

WHHHATTTTTTTT??????

Seriously this is not realistic and simply annoying... lots of hard work now in danger because of what is basically a bug. Don't know how long it will take to raise the squad morale again and prevent players leaving.

By the way, the whole unhappiness engine seems to be broken.
My backup goalkeeper is frustrated from not getting first team action - fair enough.
Than a while passes, and suddenly he's 'happy to stay at Hull' because he is now happy with his play time - despite the fact that he hasn't played a single minute!
than a month passes and he's unhappy again.
Than happy again.
This happened a few times despite the fact that he didn't play at all during that time.

Last edited:
Seriously this is not realistic.
On what are you basing that? Young primadona gets annoyed with the manager for no real reason and stays annoyed regardless of the managers attempts to solve what he claims is the reason. Then he badmouths the manager to a lot of his friends and poisons them against him as well.

I mean sure, I won't deny it could well be a bug, but you can't really fault it on realism grounds :)

I mean sure, I won't deny it could well be a bug, but you can't really fault it on realism grounds :)

Seems you don't know what realism is. When a player complains about team size and after few weeks the team grows with two more players and that player complains further and corrupt the team, this is not realistic. And here realism means it suppose to be logic. What is the logic that 14 players would be unhappy because some other player didn't get what he wished for (not to mention that his demand was satisfied but he didn't realize)?

Seems you don't know what realism is.
No, it seems you don't. Either that or you need to get out there and observe how people behave in real life a bit more.

Last edited:
Piemaster, go to observe then.

By FM15 logic, no big transfers would be possible cos the whole squad would turn against you.

Did the RM squad turn against Ancelotti when he sold Ozil, Higuain, Di Maria, Alonso? Do that in FM15, heh.

I know some players are primadonnas but this simply does not make sense.
I mean, if he'd complain I sold an important player, it will make sense, since Hughes was good for us last season, england international, etc.
If he'd say the replacements aren't good enough - technically he'd be right (even though both are younger and have much greater potential than Hughes, at present they're not as good)
But complaining on the number of players in the team, while it actually increases, doesn't make sense.

I'm pretty sure it's a bug. From a programming point of view, I guess the unhappiness trigger and promises method are 2 different parts of the code and don't communicate enough.
-The unhappiness was triggered rightfully (the squad was indeed quite thin)
-Once the 'sign more players' promise code was triggered, it makes sense that signing 'only' 2 players wouldn't satisfy it.

Both are logical on their own, however when the two are put together the result simply doesn't make sense.

Piemaster, go to observe then.

By FM15 logic, no big transfers would be possible cos the whole squad would turn against you.

Did the RM squad turn against Ancelotti when he sold Ozil, Higuain, Di Maria, Alonso? Do that in FM15, heh.

I have? Atleast, on a similar scale. I sold Rooney, Herrera, Smalling and Hernandez all in the second season. Not one player complained. Heck, I removed Rooney as a captain as soon as I started - considering his personality, you'd think he would turn against me and turn his teammates against me, but no, he accepted it gracefully.

Reason? Have high mental stats. Especially at a big club, if you don't have high mentals (Determination, Discipline, Motivation, Man Management), you'll be screwed. IT isn't realistic that you'd get a job at a top club w/o those, atleast not initially. Otherwise, you'll face lots of problems from would-be prima donnas in the squad.

[h=1]FM15 Post your Frustrations/Raaaage[/h]
These threads just descend is to he said; she said, name calling and everyone telling each other that they don't know what they're talking about. Do us a favor, avoid all of this by posting in the correct section in future.

I'm pretty sure it's a bug. From a programming point of view, I guess the unhappiness trigger and promises method are 2 different parts of the code and don't communicate enough.
-The unhappiness was triggered rightfully (the squad was indeed quite thin)
-Once the 'sign more players' promise code was triggered, it makes sense that signing 'only' 2 players wouldn't satisfy it.

Both are logical on their own, however when the two are put together the result simply doesn't make sense.

Yeah I agree with that prognosis. It probably is a bug and that explanation sounds reasonable.

The only point I was trying to make is that a player claiming to be being upset about one thing and then you solve that thing and he is still upset isn't actually that unrealistic.

I used to manage a small team (boring office team, not football) where one guy in the team came to me and said he was angry because he hadn't got a pay-rise in three years and would leave if he didn't get one. It wasn't really in my power as the whole company had a pay freeze at the time, but a few months later, completely out of the blue, the company announced they had better annual results than expected and gave everyone a 3% pay rise. I thought the guy would be happy, but actually he ended up getting more angry. Now he knew there was 'extra money available' he felt he should get a larger slice of it because he had been the top performing engineer the previous year. He ended up leaving a couple of months later. I still have no idea why he was really upset. Maybe what he wanted all along was better recognition for being good at his job over and above the others in the team. More likely there were other reasons he wanted to leave and was just using the 'no pay rise' thing as an excuse either to me or maybe to himself.

That was years ago now, I was still relatively young at the time, but the point is that if someone is angry and gives you a reason then you can't always take that reason at face value. It may be true, it may be a lie, it may conceal a more complicated reality. I bet several real Football Managers have faced a similar situation as this in the past :)