Dazron

Reaction score
Just posting a little bit of frustration I have with FM11 (despite loving it in general and pretty much totally being addicted to it!)... it seems sometimes that the whole game revolves around giving the right teamtalk - they are far too 'overpowered'. You can have a wonderful squad of players, fantastic tactics, and yet, you can win OR lose a game purely based on the wrong team talk... seems a bit pointless at times. Devalues the other aspects of the game that should be over-emphasised if anything.

Expect a win at the beginning and at half time:
Winning: Encourage/ nothing
Draw: You can win/1 more goal or encourage
Losing: Angry/dissapointed

Always gets results for me.
If its a low priority cup match i usually say for the fans.

I judge more on opponent and stature of the cup.

Mainly, it's "For the fans!" or "You can win today/tonight!"

If I'm winning say 1-0, Encourage works great.

If I'm losing say 1-0, it depends on opposition, higher status = You can win!, lower status = dissapointed/embarresed.

Usually gets what I want out of them.

You must choose your team-talks by the quality of your opponent and your own standing - it helps to view the match odds you either get from a message in your inbox reminding you of the game or in the match preview screen. I have no idea if it's merely calculated from both teams' (hidden) reputation value or if the past form and squad strength are a factor as well.

In any case, you're right about the team talks. I started using them in FM 10 from an Excel table which I found in the official forums, but that made it much too easy. Why would I want to win the league 10 points ahead with a team only good enough for a mid-table finish or in the European qualification places at the most?

That's why I have started each game with my search for a good Assistant Manager who always does my team talks now and the team is playing much closer to its real strength. If you have too bad of an assistant then you'll keep reading about it in the press when players go public about what a failure he is.

I agree completely. It does ruin the enjoyment of the game, knowing that you're tactically sound, with a good squad but watching the match makes it clear that you said something wrong in the press or you gave the team the wrong pep talk. I noticed this because the team creates loads of opportunities but they miss them all.

I really enjoy the motivation part of the game. It's fun to get to know your players and learn the best approach to take with them. The best moments in the game are when you get the halftime talk just right and your team storms back from behind to win.

I agree it's overpowered though, to the point where it's almost all that matters. It's strange to see people worrying about moving a particular slider in their tactic a few notches one way or the other when changing their team talk strategy would make 10x the difference.