Reaction score
So I understand the important role that teamwork plays for midfielders and attacks- whether to pass to an open teammate or to shoot, take on their man, etc. But how important is it for defenders? Does it affect a players ability to play as part of a team/unit, or rather only their willingness to do so? For a defender, this difference could be huge. If it affects ability, then it is a key defensive attribute, as a defensive line with high teamwork would be better at holding their line, maintaining relative positioning, staying compact, and preventing gaps. If not, it seems to be a sort of luxury attribute for defenders, who, having generally low flair, spending significantly less time on the ball, and operating in positions far from the oppposition goal generally lack opportunities to be selfish in the way strikers can be.

My understanding/ assumption is that teamwork affects only willingness, and that anticipation, positioning, and work rate (as well as the gks communication and possibly influence levels among defenders) therefore account for how well the defensive unit plays together.

Can anyone confirm or deny this, or add anything else to my thoughts? What does a particularly selfish or selfless central defender look like in the match engine anyway? Has this attribute ever benefited you or undone you at this position? I generally look for high teamwork in my back line, but I've been starting to rethink putting such emphasis on it