Terrible youth players- what am I missing?

mkw101

Reaction score
Hi all long term FM12 manager here, I've brought my club up to worldwide status after a number of years, and my youth players are still TERRIBLE.

I've got:
  • Top training facilities
  • State of the art youth facilities
  • Exceptional junior coaching
  • Extensive youth recruitment
In addition to this, my U18 squad (in england) have roughly 4 star training ratings across the board and basically all my youth coaches have 20 for "working with youngsters".

And still, I get a set of terrible rated players, year after year, for perhaps 10 years now. I realise my players are world class (top rating is 4 stars, although I have caught ONE 4.5 star player that evaded my scouts, I think 4 stars in my game is basically the best I am likely to get).

So my youngsters this year, 16 in total, have 0.5 stars average, with a single guy getting 2 stars. They're all going in the trash.

All I want to know is, am I unlucky, or is there something I'm missing? I felt like I've genuinely left no stone unturned with all my youth coaching, and they still suck, year after year. My last 'world class' youth product was about 20 years ago, and by that I mean a 4 star potential player that became the England captain for a while.

Last edited:
I agree. I never ever seem to get any good potential players despite playing as Arsenal who have state of the art facilities and youth recruitment all over. When the AI manages them, they get wonderkids. -_-

But don't expect too much from England, it pretty much reflects the lack of talent there is irl.

You will be lucky to find two 4+ star potential player a year comming from England. Spain, Italy, Holland, France, Brasil and Argentina are the best places to get them. But I found a guy from China that was 5 star once. That ****** me off when I was getting the crappy players that were going through my system in Scotland.

that brings me onto another thing, my scouts have been absolutely sucking recently, can't find any 4 stars at all.

Doesn't help that it takes my top of the range PC 15 seconds to process any change/sort/filter to the list of 175,000 players in my scouting range.

/rant

that brings me onto another thing, my scouts have been absolutely sucking recently, can't find any 4 stars at all.

Doesn't help that it takes my top of the range PC 15 seconds to process any change/sort/filter to the list of 175,000 players in my scouting range.

/rant

The star system scales depending on your club and the players in it. For example a player with a PA of 180+ will get around 4 stars in Barca.

You call yourselves unlucky? I am unlucky: I've played 10 years with Ajax, all top facilities and recruitments. Highest potential for a player? 3.5 stars, that was ONCE! All other years I've had players 3 stars or lower, and most of the time they were 0.5 stars - 1.5 stars. That's just unlucky if you ask me. It doesn't make any sence either.

5 stars doesnt mean the player will be a messi or ronaldo
i had a player who was rated 2.5 and he was one of the best playmakers in the world, his average attribute for a advance playmaker attack was 17,8 or so

I had more or less the same settings for my facilities as you did and had Spurs as second richest and most reputable club in the world. Still on the save but resigned and tried taking a team from the conference... anyway I digress.

I was lucky enough to get a 4 star player through my academy and he realised his potential by the time he was 20. Other than that I got a few 2 and 2.5 stars through (by the time I left the club 5 of my own youth products were either in or around the first team).

In any case, it's worth taking into account that the lower starred ones can actually increase quite easily in star ratings providing you give them enough game time and a decent tutor.

My advice would to be ignore the star ratings and look at the stats and attributes. If for yourself you don't see any potential then bin them, but if you reckon there is a slightest chance they could make it regardless of star ratings, then give them a shot.

I'm talking about the potential rating, and my assistant manager has 20/20 scouting so I'd like to think it's fairly accurate.

I don't look at the stats because when they're 16 the stats are usually rubbish, even for my players that do turn out well, the only way of judging how good a player will be IMO is the potential rating. So when I say I only get a 0.5 star player I mean the player is actually like 3 grey stars with a potential rating of 0.5 gold stars.