Testers needed for Croatia 98 tactic

Igneos79

Banned
Reaction score
Chule gave me the idea to try to recreate this. This is something Croatian manager Ciro used and reached third place in the world, and if I remember correctly, Croatia could have even been first, but the referee made sure that doesn't happen. Croatia is a small country, and probably not the best choice for a world cup champion in FIFA eyes, because of it.

However, their tactic and the great players they had then is something that should work in modern football too. Our colegue, Chule, tried to recreate it, but gave it up and made something else instead.

A few minutes ago, I assembled what I think is their tactic, but I don't really have the willpower to test it. I just played one match and this was the result:

View attachment 328453

They basically played a 3-5-2 and tiki taka. Three players at the middle made sure they control games, and they mostly penetrated on the left flank, where they had a really fast, explosive player. They were also prepared to counter quickly if under pressure. Players were often criticised in the media because of their inability to run, and poor physicall preparation.

The tactic is a 1 minute effort from me, and probably needs work regarding a few player roles, or their positioning.

So if you are willing, please test it and post your screenies.

EDIT:

I have got some info on player roles at that time, and changed formation to 5-3-2 with a libero. These are proper roles I think.

EDIT:

Version 3 removes some errors.

EDIT:

Version 4 improves form of players

Last edited:
Hey, being croatian i know exactly what you're talking about. Our football over the years has been nothing but criticised of, quite frankly, i dont blame them. However, i love croatian, and having croatian heritage, im currently managing zadar, i will test this squad for first 3 games, then im going to make my interpretation of the tactic with it.

Hey, being croatian i know exactly what you're talking about. Our football over the years has been nothing but criticised of, quite frankly, i dont blame them. However, i love croatian, and having croatian heritage, im currently managing zadar, i will test this squad for first 3 games, then im going to make my interpretation of the tactic with it.

Cool