The A-League Thread

NorthVic

Reaction score
Melbourne Victory to get their 3rd title this year under Ange.

You heard it here first.

Plus....**** the Heart.

S(***)ydney are looking like they'll sign Del Piero. Hopefully he turns his back on that abortion of a football club.

Nice to see an A-League thread, i spent a few months coaching at Brisbane (Queensland as it was then) Roar FC.

There are a few Aussies here on the forums so i'm sure they will appreciate the rivalry and potential to discuss things.

Can we have a bit less of the aggression towards clubs you don't support please?

At the end of the day you are all franchises with little to no history, so to call another club an abortion is a little rich.

Nice to see an A-League thread, i spent a few months coaching at Brisbane (Queensland as it was then) Roar FC.

There are a few Aussies here on the forums so i'm sure they will appreciate the rivalry and potential to discuss things.

Can we have a bit less of the aggression towards clubs you don't support please?

At the end of the day you are all franchises with little to no history, so to call another club an abortion is a little rich.

You coached at the Roar...?

For a few months when i was over there on a work holiday visa. I played a few games for a couple of sides in Brisbane as well as coaching in their youth setups. One of the senior coaches knew someone at the Roar, they then invited me to coach their young goalkeepers until the end of the season.

Maybe slightly harsh, but what i'm getting at is there is no established firm history between clubs, due to the fact that most clubs didn't exist before the A-League started. There can't be a rivalry like say West Ham and Millwall, or Rangers and Celtic etc.

Fair enough.

In regards to your second paragraph; The rivalries in the A-League are growing fast. The league might only be 8 years old but there has been enough matches to carve out some fierce derby's. Sure, not on the level of the Old Firm etc., but for example, the Melbourne Derby has turned into a intense rivalry, on and off the pitch and that will only grow.

Like Melbourne/Adelaide because of the two grand finals (+ other games) has been made a pretty fiery clash for supporters and players alike, so there is enough history between (some) clubs to create decent rivalries.

iPhone.gif
Harden up and enjoy the banter.

Harden up and enjoy the banter.

its a spambot.

Its copied my wording exactly.

There were early signs of some rivalries even when i was there i'll admit.

What is really needed though is a national cup system involving all the clubs, not just A-League sides.

Even better is some promotion/relegation from the state leagues to the a-league.

its a spambot.

What is really needed though is a national cup system involving all the clubs, not just A-League sides.

Even better is some promotion/relegation from the state leagues to the a-league.

...But that is not how franchise sports work. :)

its a spambot.

The FFA have said a cup is on the agenda and was meant to start in March 2012 but never eventuated due to well, other issues surrounding the league.

Promotion would be good, but the majority of the clubs wouldn't have stadiums and fanbases that would be acceptable currently. We need to wait until the current league has stabilized before delving into the second division debate. 10 years plus at least IMO.

Promotion's going to be hard to install though.
The financial side just isn't here yet, and it'd have to be all new clubs as well considering no 'ethnic identity' based club is to be part of the league.
The league itself is barely bouyant enough financially (if it is at all) let alone having a second tier.

It's bad enough the FFA were too stupid to follow through with the Crawford Report. I mean no offense to Melbs Heart or West Syd Wanderers, and not in a neanderthallic, redneck seperatist kind of way, but they just shouldn't be.
1 club per city until the league was stable enough to support itself... which it still isn't.
Heart should be in Geelong, and Wanderers Wollongong or Canberra.
MHeart will work out because Melbournites follow sport with their feet whilst Sydney kids are just too fickle.
Maybe WSW will be stable (the league needs it) being in the football heartland... Hope so.
That said, as much as Wollongong/C'ra deserve teams (stupidly large ammount of talent spews forth from the Illawarra) the chances of fulfilling 10k patrons per home match is unlikely heaping a large fiscal burden upon the investors.
... You could combine the two. In Rugby League, Saint George - Illawarra and Balmain - Wests crowds are almost always full (or close to), but when both sides of a club become successful enough to stand on their own feet how do they untangle such a merger to be their own identities?

I wish it could be in 10 years, but look at the last 6. In and out go New Zealand Knights, Gold Coast United (destroyed by a childish tycoon) and North Queesnland Fury (who probably should have shared themselves out through Cairns, Townsville and probably Darwin).
Season 1 was a blinder for patronage, but since then advertising/hype has almost entirely disappeared (unless you're one of the minority with Foxsmell in which case you're REALLY limiting the covered audience) and so the crowds dwindle too.
Salary cap started off at a manageable, afforadble (mostly) level. Since S1 it's been bumped up and up again, then when you add in Marquees and almost all clubs are struggling to stay afloat, even when successful in Asia!

I don't agree that Free-To-Air is the answer. Could be if it's only FTA live to areas outside of clubs groundings. Maybe 4 or more hours delayed within the teams city.

Last edited:
Wow! The A-League is looking soooo good right now!
Alessandro Del Piero has signed with the mightY SYDNEY FC!
Emile Heskey has signed with Newcastle Jets!
And Ballack is supposedly in talks with the Western Sydney Wanderers!
I've followed the A-League since day one, and this season is looking like it will be the BEST one yet!
I seriously cannot wait for it to start, C'MON SYDNEY! :D

Ballack or Shinji Ono for WSW... either way great.

Looking like some type of a break through year for the A-League signings wise, hopefully the standard of play continues to pick up and improve. As a Heart supporter I am hoping for a finals appearance at the least! Bring on round 1!

The great recruitment by the A-League clubs (Sydney and Newy, maybe WSW) will definitely bring more people to the games.
I can't wait for the first few rounds, especially soldout Sydney home games at the SFS! But lets hope for many sell out matches this season! :D

Even the rivalries are looking really intense this year:
The Melbourne Derby is looking as strong as ever, the new Sydney Derby looks to go OFF!
And even the Victory-Adelaide rivalry looks ready to explode ever since Marcos Flores' signing with Victory!

I really hope Wanderers get Ballack over Shinji Ono, it would be great to get both but I don't think they're in a position to do so, and Ballack would provide much more exposure and experience (especially from his time at Chelsea) to the young Wanderers side.

Shinji Ono!

To be honest, it was a win either way. Either Der Kaiser reborn or the more dynamic Blue Samurai.
Ballack has been caught out with time which one could see with Chelsea and the difference his cutting made from the German setup for the world cup, that said I reckon he'd have fit in with the A-League.

Tensai is still a gun in the middle of the park, and his time with Shimizu was pretty injury free (which is what cost him a move to the big 4 in the EPL back in about '04-'05)... Should be more than promising, just need the kids around him on the same wave length and that'll be a devestating attack.

I really would've preferred Ballack but it looks like Ono is already having a big influence!

According to Fox Sports, some Italian tv network has bought the rights for all of Sydney FC's games to show Del Piero and it looks like a big Japanese network is close to doing the same because Ono has gone to WSW!

Great for the league and hopefully its a great season on the pitch, because its looking pretty **** good off it already! :D

Nice win to WSW. Bridge is still a waste of space through the middle, but the attack looked a bit more spritely without Dino Kresinger.

****** to have missed the SFC-Perth match. Was in Canberra pedalling (and cramping) through Mordor and finished too late to drive up.