Status
Not open for further replies.

parkin

Reaction score
First FM story - starting a bit of a stupid time, got exams coming up in the next few weeks and so won't be able to post much - unless this distracts me, which it probably will!

I've always loved football. Growing up in Porto Alegre, I played every day in the dusty little park with its two little nets. I still had fond memories of beating kid after kid with deft Brazilian touches, tackling with the tenacity of Dunga and trying to reproduce the magic of many of my Brazilian idols. There were scouts everywhere, and many often looked at me, took notes and called me over. At the age of 14, I was offered a trial at Botafogo in Paraíba. I took it. I remember clearly the long bus journey through Brazil, and the week long trial, which was successful.
By the age of seventeen I had a career ending injury, and I looked into becoming a builder with my father. We had stayed in Paraíba. I also applied for a coaching badge to the Brazilian Football Associatoin. I continued building for many years, but my heart was in fútbol. I continued in my job as a builder, while I had developed a strong passion for Campinense Clube. I saw them every week, and bought my notebook with me, making notes on positioning and marking. I found it fascinating.
That was in 2005. Now, at the age of 23, I found myself touring the majestic Amigão stadium, with the chairman of Campinense, Saulo Mínah, talking to me.
"We've seen you at every game, making notes, analysing. We like analytic people in football. I have also heard from your father you have a coaching badge. You are also an avid Campinense fan. I see you as the ideal man for the job. Our former manager Adílson was a faliure in my eyes."
At 19th in the league after 7 games, I could see why. I had a burning desire to have a go, to turn this around.
Three days later I signed the contract with Campinense Clube.

imagem-php1.png

Saulo gave me a 1 and a half year contract with the club, on £1,900 per week. I was delighted with the deal - definitely a step up from my builders wages; I had always been a poor man. I spent the day with my new players, getting to know them, ask about some of the training techniques they had used under their former manager, and about their thoughts on why they were 19th. The thoughts were positive, upbeat.
At 7.00 PM, I made the decision that 36 year old Tácio was to be the captiano. He appeared to be an incredible influence on the other players. After a day of training I had analysed that Almir was one of the better players at the club. A shame he is only on loan. After that day, I rang the chairman up and indicated that I thought I would be able to steer the club into a top half finish. the wage budget was set at 40k per week, with the transfer budget at 0£.

Next post will be a preview of the next game.

Last edited:
I decided to organise a friendly against my reserve before the first league game in four days time. The players looked sluggish and slow, despairing at the prospect of making fools out of themselves in front of me (as they had done with Adílson, the former manager, many a time).
Obviously, I had had no time so far to instill my style upon the boys; so far this season they had played quite simply awful football, not the silky passing and skill I wanted from my players. Going out onto the Amigão pitch, I gathered round them, and told them to play with their hearts, show me what Brazil is all about. In the meantime, I had a long phonecall with the club negotiator, asking him to put in contracts for several players. Audacity would be a key factor if I was to survive at the club.
Anyway, we won 1-0 against the reserves. We didn't play well; there was some very nice passing, but no real finesse. A header was scored from a corner by Renan, our CB, while the captiano Tácio put in a man of the match performance from centre mid. I'm worried by the apparent lack of harmony amongst the players, but I am confident this can be turned around. Pre match updates for the first league game of Parkinão's reign next.

good luck with this :)
cheers mate:)

---------- Post added at 10:49 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:39 PM ----------

América FC(RN) v Campinense Clube

We made the long journey up to Natal by coach on Thursday 2nd July, the day before the game. The players already looked tired - one or two had knocks from the last game, which worried me. There was still an air of awkwardness amongst the players and myself; I wasn't sure exactly how to get through to them - this was my first managerial job after all. When we arrived there 8 hours after setting off we ate, and I tried to uplift the players with a bit of samba dancing. No one laughed. I remember the screening of The Damned United at the local cinema - this was very Billy Bremner-esque. I, however, remained upbeat, despite my knowledge that the opposition were a far better team.
We entered the Machadão, and I immediately ran to the tactics room to sort my team out. I was strongly considering a 4-3-3, with solid full backs, a defensive midfielder tough in the tackle, two creative all-round centre midfielders and three strikers. The football could be free-flowing and wonderful if the team was organised properly, I was sure of it.
I did, however, expect my team to lose. As do the bookies.

---------- Post added at 11:00 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:49 PM ----------

It was a weird match. In several ways I felt i had already installed my principles into the club - the passing was fluid and we ghosted past opposition players - but the finishing was appalling, as was the defence. No one seemed to know what to do when they were near either net. Therefore, we lost 3-0. Very unhappy with the boys, but can I really blame them?
I refrained from shouting at them, telling them that they put in a good effort but results have to be better soon. We then made the 8 hour journey back home, depressed.

I moved swiftly in the transfer market before the game on Saturday against 17th placed Bragantino. Wando, Paulinho, Luisinho Paulista, Dieguinho (loan) and Julio Cézar (loan) all chose to join the revolution. I am delighted with these signings, especially with that of Paulinho. He is excellent for this division - creative, with a lot of technique. There was even a press conference with local journalists gathering round asking about the signing. I laughed to myself. So this is what it feels like to be famous! The spokesperson told me that the fans on the one and only Campinense Clube forum were delighted with the signing of Wando, who they had seen at Párana and Vila Nova. I had heard of these players before from studying the league, while the scout alerted me of Julio Cézar, Dieguinho and Luisinho Paulista. For some reason, according to Brazilian law Luisinho Paulista is not allowed to play in the next match. It's an outrage.

Campinense Clube v Bragantino

We were at home - hopefully this would rejuvenate the players a bit. Three hours before kick off, they still seemed depressed. The fans were still in great spirits - ticket sales were shockingly low for a club with a 50,000 seater stadium, but the fans who attended sung their hearts out.
Some new players made their debuts today. This also seemed to help the team; there was an air of professionalism I had not noted before. I sat down and took my seat, and watched the game with hope of a win. The media predicted a draw.
We won 2-0, with goals from Julio Cézar and Almir (who I predicted would be the star at the beginning of the season - I have revised my opinion a little with the new arrivals). The passing was great, and the players enjoyed themselves, showing off to the fans with step overs and skills Ronaldinho would be proud of. The fans seemed delighted - so were the players, and so am I.

any feedback would be appreciated - barely started, but do I need more screenshots, is it too long/boring etc... thanks:)

Last edited:
Thanks Anu

The last month or so have been quite hectic. The reaction to me from the fans, press, and players has changed. Long coach journeys are the norm; boring, but every day I find something new about my players, and they seem to warm to me, despite me being younger than many of them. They seem to appreciate the football I insist on, despite the hard work that they have to do as a result. The new signings, while there are many of them, appear to be relatively happy; anything is better than unemployment, even this!
Anyway, a week after the match against Bragantino we faced Brasiliense. A decent team, who were 8th in the league, came to our ground. The teams support, while not large in numbers, made a huge uproar and red and black flags were high.
At home, we drew 1-1. A decent result, with decent football. Paulinho, who can play striker, attacking midfield, and centre mid all to good effect, got the goal for us with a nice finish. I was hoping this was the start of things, and we went home in reasonably good spirits.
This hope was trounced however by a loss away at Juventude. However, I was delighted with the way the team played. We managed to score against a team twice as good as us, but their quality up front proved too much for us. The lads went home in bad spirits, despite their excellent efforts.
That was also the first time I had ever seen myself on TV. It was televised. My dad rang me for the first time since taking over at Campinense.
The next match was against the best team in the league, a real South American force who had been in a bad state recently. Vasco da Gama were not a team we expected to get anything from. However, seeing as we had nothing to lose, I told the players to go for it.
They responded accordingly. While the result was a 0-0 draw, we could easily have got trounced 5-0 if the boys hadn't had such a high spirit. I was disgusted by the snobbery shown by one or two Vasco players, who didn't shake the hands of a few of my players. The manager rang off without shaking my hand.
The PR officer decided this should be a fan day, and so I went to see a gathering of fans at a local Café. I chatted to a few fans, but my heart wasn't in it; I had seen quite a beautiful Brazilian woman. I'd estimate she was aged 25; a gorgeous brunette with a beautiful brazilian tan. Actually, she approached me. From that I found out she was an avid Campinense fan. I found myself attracted to her instantly; funny, cute, bubbly but sharp. I got her number; I did not want to be distracted from my football, but she was beautiful. She was called Claudia Álvares.
The next match was against another continentally known name: Figueirense. A long coach journey was declared pointless by the bookies, who had written us off. I had little faith if I was honest - as impressed as I was by the draw, I knew it was more likely hope than reality we could form a run at all.
Again we were on TV. Prior to this match, I decided to buy a new suit, costing a thousand pounds, with one of my wage packets. I wanted to look my best on national television. I wanted the team to look their best on the pitch, and a 2-0 success with goals from Alceu and Luisinho Paulista left me and the players delighted, and the local area seemed stunned. The players opened up to me even more after that match, and, based on a dubbed over version of Soccer AM i had once seen where the dirt was dished out on players in a team, I found out this:
Longest in the shower - Dieguinho
Longest in the mirror - Dieguinho again
Best dancer - Fernandinho. Has real sense of Rhythm.
Biggest joker - Wando. A real joker, always pulling pranks. Six years my senior, he never failed to crack me up!
Most intelligent - Tácio. An inspirational figure is the captiano, always knowing when to speak.
Most stupid - Léo Lima. He plays in quite an intelligent manner on the pitch, but not off it.
Biggest player - myself for sure! Either me or Dieguinho again.

We were nowhere near being even a good second division team, but we were on the way. We had foundations to be good, which delighted everyone. The next two results could be key, against 2nd placed Cereá and 11th placed Guarani in terms of starting a run and keeping morale up.
We went and won them both. Needless to say I was buzzing. beating Cereá 3-0 was something special, morale was at an all time high. Even Wando's sending off in the 39th minute for ****-slapping an opposition player while he was injured couldn't stop us, with goals from Fernandinho, Luisinho Paulista and Neto. Guarani we beat 1-0, with a nice goal from Neto. Claudia rang me to congratulate me on my recent success, and we went to meet in the café again. Just the two of us this time; I'm definitely far deep into her already.

just an indication as to the fact there is an early indication that things could be turning themselves round:

People are starting to recognise me in the streets. Paraíba is a big state, and I look like an average Brazillian male - short hair, tanned and built - but people know me.
Anyway, inbetween long phone calls with Claudia and various meet ups, and all this popularity that is starting to form, football matches were being played - one of which was Campinense v Vila Nova. Due to the turn around we were making I had a confident feeling about this game. Being 2-0 up after 15 mins (Neto & Luisinho Paulista) calmed any fears I had of ending this run. We won 4-1, and the fans were delighted. Neto and Luisinho Paulista are beginning to form a really good partnership, even if I do rotate the third striker in the trident.

But then it ended. A 2-1 defeat to Paraná left me devestated. I suppose it was a good effort by the lads, and we pulled a goal back from 2-0 down (Paulinho) but it wasn't enough for a win. They were better than us, so from that perspective I shouldn't complain too much.
Transfers next.

Following this now
good luck

sorry to those who are following this - busy period with exams so won't be many updates in the next two or three weeks.
Transfers coming shortly.

---------- Post added at 08:31 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:15 PM ----------

Campinense Clube, Nike and Petrobras have finally collaborated to unleash the three new Campinense kits for the next two seasons!
While maintaining the style and comfort one would expect of Nike, they have also managed to create a radioactive looking kit. Let's hope Luisinho Paulista and co. Aren't writhing around on the floor with 10 arms and 20 legs!
Joking aside, I know little of the deal. The kits are decent, except the incredibly dodgy third kit and the slightly homosexual looking away, but apparently the revenue from Petrobras is decent. They are a massive oil company after all. The chairman seemed delighted.
In news on the pitch, Juilo Cezar has finally made the most of his natural finishing skills (under training he already had the best finishing skills at the club) to score a few, but more on that later...

Transfers

The date is September 1st. I've had to work ridiculously hard to wrap these up, while improving the teams fortunes on the pitch and keeping them all happy. I'm worried the team won't gel, but I've stuck a few of the poor players in the reserves and the team is enjoying playing, so I have hope.
Anyway, I'll give a guide to the players. Wando is a 29 year old striker who, despite my thinking he would be key, has gone on to prove to be fiery and not as good as I had hoped. He is an excellent squad player, however. Júlio Cézar is a good striker who I got on loan, with decent skills off the ball and in the air - however, he seems to be able to finish from anywhere. Sao Paulo are very lucky as I think he could be excellent in the future. I will definitely try to buy him permanently. Dieguinho is a speedy, skilful left back who has performed exceptionally thus far. He has integrated into the team exceptionally, and gets on well with all the lads.
Neto is a striker I have high hopes for. He's already netted 6 goals in his 10 games this season, and again has helped form a good partnership with Luisinho Paulista.* Good in the air. Fernandinho is a tenacious DM or CM who will be important to our fortunes. Alceu is a versatile defender who can also play DM or CM (as well as CB). Élton (Johninho) is a player I've been very impressed with. The Brazilian National Football Weekly gives him an average rating of 8.11 thus far into the season, and he has incredible flair and dribbling skills. He can spot a pass, and plays alongside Paulinho*, another new signing. Paulinho is similair to Élton in his ability to dribble and spot a pass. Very useful asset. Renié, a 6 ft brute of a centre back, joins on loan from Vitória, while RB Arilton joins on loan from Internacional. Finally, Luisinho Paulista is another striker with brilliant finishing; he is key to our plans this season
*For some very strange reason, Paulinho and Luisinho Paulista have not shown up on the transfers screen, despite it being checked to History. Have included their history details.

Last edited:
Good stuff! Enjoying the backstory.
Cheers matey:)

The date is September the 2nd. I sit at home having just returned home from Rio de Janeiro. It appears my numerous TV appearances have done me bad as well as good, as following the away match near the heart of Rio de Janeiro I was kidnapped right in front of my team before I got on the coach. It was a poorly planned kidnap - while they knew that I would not be guarded, they did not account for the fact that Rio de Janeiro is swarming with policeman, intent on lowering the massive rate of crime including drug trafficking and kidnapping such as this. They also didn't account for the fact that several of my players were carrying phones, with which they could call the police.
As I was making my way to the coach - a 150 m walk from the door of the stadium, with the players 50 m ahead of me - three men ran towards me and covered my head with a sack. It reeked of potatoes. I felt gagged, and lumps were rising in my throat, butterflies in my stomach. I kicked out, but it was no use - one or two of the players making an effort to stop them, but decided not to when one of the kidnappers pulled out a gun. I was taken to a back alley, and sat down on a chair, where a man pulled out a knife and held it out to my throat.
"Parkinão! You stay calm, otherwise you die. Try nothing funny, or I'll kill you here. You give me your fathers phone number, and we arrange a ransome. Then you can go, and tell no one, or we will find you and cut your throat."
With that, they pushed me, and I felt a fist hit me right between the eyes. I was knocked out instantly. According to newspapers, a high octane chase followed, with the kidnappers being caught. I never paid a ransom, but memories rang of my parents telling me to be careful, because the streets of the big cities are dangerous. I saw my dad half an hour ago - he was silent, shocked, but obviously relieved. Claudia was coming over in an hour, and we would have dinner.
Anyway, to take my mind off things I'll go ahead and talk about recent results. After the game against Paraná we faced first placed Bahia - a quality side. We had home advantage and were on a good run, however, so I had hope - I always have hope nowadays. The feeling going onto that pitch with the crowd finally completely behind me was wonderful. The football was quite fast and free flowing - however, Fernandinho, our main enforcer, did a wonderful job in slowing play down when required. Bahia's defence matched our attack and vice versa, and going into half time the score was 0-0.
A great corner was swung in by Élton in the 69th minute, however, and centre back Alceu was there to unleash a powerful header which nearly burst the net. The game was ours by then - Luisinho Paulista put it in with a nice side foot finish in the 83rd minute, then in the final minute of stoppage time Júlio Cézar slotted it home. The fans were hugging each other; it was delightful to watch. I began to gather some critical acclaim in the back pages of the local newspapers.
Next up were ABC (chants of "ABCDEFG, your too illiterate to count with me" rang out on national television.) Expected to win this one - morale was superb, whereas ABC were not doing too well, in 16th place. Lining up in our typical 4-3-3, we performed superbly and ran out 4-0 winners. The fans seemed delighted - pre season, no one would have been surprised if we'd lost every game 4-0 under former coach Adilson. Two goals from Neto - one fabulous one where he side stepped one defender, did the Marseille turn past another and slotted it wonderfully past the keeper, and another side footed finish - a goal from Márcio Paraíba and an own goal completed the scoring for us.
After that game, Claudia texted indicating we should go to the local park. I accepted her invitation - it is brilliant spending time with her, she is so joyous and beautiful. There we shared our first kiss. Ideally I didn't want the press finding out in case it disrupted the team somehow, but I knew that at some stage it would break out, especially if we were to ever get married, which seemed a real possibility in my mind. I was in love.
I won't speak further about events at Duque de Caxias. I'm still in shock. However, in the actual game Júlio Cézar had a great game and we ran out 2-0 winners. He got both.
Looking at the league table now, the rise has been majestic - we lie in 11th place. I'm delighted.

Good stuff so far.

I would only try to break up the walls of text a bit more, to make it easier on the eye.

Status
Not open for further replies.