Nickman69

Reaction score
10.21am, 7th July, 2008

I was laying in bed one morning when I heard my mobile phone vibrating on my bedside table, I tiredly reached over and grabbed my phone, stealing a glance at my clock/radio.

"10.21" it read.

I yawned, then answered my phone...

"Hello?", I mumbled. "Good morning, is this Nicholas Mingos?", an unfamiliar voice asked. "Yes, why? Who is this?" I responded, intrigued by who it could possibly be...

"This is Lee Carter, chairman of AFC Telford, I am pleased to inform you that you have been successful in applying for the vacant managerial position here! Congratulations", he said.

I paused for a moment, then recalled an evening a few weeks ago when a few friends dared me to apply for the Telford, Shrewsbury and Harrogate positions, using my Football Manager experience as a resume. "B-b-but Mr Carter," I stuttered, "I'm only 22, I've never played at a high level, the only experience I have is on the computer - since CHampionship Manager 00/01!"

"Nick, I'm aware of that. There is no pressure on you to make a decision, lad. We made several enquiries on other, more expereinced managers but they turned us down. You are the best qualified out of all the other candidates. What do you say, lad? Come down to the ground 12pm tomorrow for a bit of a look-see? We can iron out all the details then, in preson. You know where our stadium is?", Lee said forcefully, contradicting the fact that he had said there was no pressure!"

"Um, yes, OK, Mr Carter, at midday tomorrow", I responded, now wide awake." "Great lad, look forward to working with you", Lee said abruptly, then hung up.

I gazed at my ceiling, then leapt up in the air in delight! A manager, me?! I started thinking of all the possible ramifications. I'd obviously have to defer from my university course. This is a full-time job! A dream come true!!

I picked myself up, and started going about my daily tasks, thinking how trivial they seemed when compared to my new job that I was about to begin! My friends and family were ecstatic, and jokingly asked if I could be on their support staff... "We'll see, boys, we'll see" I said...

Will Post an update soon!

If anyone cares, I've been absolutely dominating!

I won the Blue Square North easily first season, not losing a game until I virtually had the title sewn up. I also won the FA Trophy, and made the first round of the FA Cup proper, going down to Leyton Orient after taking an early lead.

In past FM experience, I always believed that the step up from BSN/S to BSP was negligible. This was no different. My team remained unbeaten for a large portion of the season, and also managed to defend the FA Trophy! After getting a dream run, the boys also managed to go to the 3rd Round of the FA Cup, travelling to Nott Forest and going down in a fighting performance!

I've bolstered my squad with some quality additions in the build-up to League 2, and have started off promisingly, beating Rotherham 5-0 @ New Bucks Head to get the ball rolling!