The Alfa Romeo Metaphor

"Ciao, Enrico," Alessandro said. I'd called after reading the Saturday morning edition of Diaro de Cadiz.

"Well, did you talk to him?" I asked.

"Yes, I talked to Florentino yesterday," Alessandro replied.

"And...?"

"He's aware of your chart," he continued. "He listened to me explain your plan for yet another time. I got the impression he understood that you feel we are on track for the promotion playoffs."

"The impression?" I asked. "It doesn't sound like he's terribly confident in me."

"Just win tomorrow, Enrico."

"Ciao, Alessandro. Thanks for trying to stand up for me. I truly appreciate it."

"Best of luck tomorrow."

"What if he fires you tomorrow?" Ana Maria asked breaking the silence after our dinner plates had been cleared.

"I don't know," I replied. "I'll figure that out if it happens. I don't know."

"Would you like dessert?" she asked.

"Not really," I replied. "Let's get out of here."

"To answer your question," I said as we strolled out of the restaurant and into the beautiful Cadiz evening. "I would call my agent from my playing days and ask him to find me a job."

We walked in silence for a while. She was deep in thought.

"At some point, you'll have to make a decision," I said finally. She nodded. She knew what I was talking about. We hadn't talked about it, but it had been the elephant in the room for a while. Maybe tomorrow, probably for the new season or even if somehow Florentino decided to sign me for another year and was able to convince me to stay, at some point I was going to leave Cadiz for another position.

She was crying. I stopped. I put my arms around her.

"I know you're the responsible type," I said. "And you have to support your family. I get that."

"I'm just not sure that if I ran off with you, I could live with myself," she said then sniffled. "If you got a job in Spain, maybe I could find one in whatever town you're in. Or nearby. But ..."

We walked in silence.

"What if it's Italy or England?" I asked.

this is possibly one of the best, most detailed stories that i have ever read on this site :) keep it up!
btw if you do get sacked will you keep going with the save?

this is possibly one of the best, most detailed stories that i have ever read on this site :) keep it up!
btw if you do get sacked will you keep going with the save?

I've pretty much decided that even if Florentino DID offer me a contract for next season, I'd refuse. I'm either done tomorrow, next week or next month regardless.

Round 32 Albacete Balompie v. Cadiz CF

The drive was exhausting. 644km, nearly 7 hours on the road. Or maybe it was just me worrying for 7 hours.

View attachment 474787

The stadium isn't in good shape, but the showers and toilets work. That's always a bonus.

View attachment 474790

The stadium was half full which is a considerable number compared to what we're used to in El Segundo. This crowd seemed to make a decent amount of noise. A decent number of Cadistas had made the long trip.

GK: Alejandro
D: Albert Dalmau, Mikel Martins, Wellington Carvalho, Moises
M: Kike Lopez, Josete, Jorge Luque, Perico
F: Aymen Souda, Jose Villar

Subs: Andres (D/M), Bruninho (M), Abdoullai Fall, Kike Marquez (M/F), Javier Valdes (F)

We got lucky with the ref. Jose Figueroa Vasquez is the most lenient in all of Spain. He hasn't red carded anyone this season and only shows a single yellow per match. This give us the opportunity to spread the special sauce especially thick and generously.

I told them to target their two forwards: Rizvan Umarov and Sergio Molina; as well as right winger Israel. Israel is their top assist man and second top scorer. I told Moises to play defensively and tightly mark him.

I reminded them of our plan to drop into a 451 if we scored first or if they were overrunning us in the midfield.

"We are on a really good run, let's continue it tonight," I said. "We're on this run because we're moving the ball around really well and concentrating when we get chances in their half. I believe in you guys. You defenders have the skills to shut down Albacete. You midfielders know how to control the tempo and get the ball to Aymen and Juan up top. And I have faith that you as a group will continue scoring plenty of goals."

"So let's get out there and kick those cheap b*st*rds in the nuts and make our Cadistas proud of us!"

Despite my positive, assertive pre-match comments, the game started out cautiously. Eventually, we started asserting ourselves. Albacete didn't seem like the team that had won 10 straight.

In the 21st minute, Luque passed the ball upfield to Souda. Souda controlled it and held off the defender on his back. He saw Luque charging forward and once he was past him, tried to feed a pass into his path. The right back sprinted over and thumped the ball out across the far half line.

Dalmau threw the ball into Luque who sent a pass up to Villar. Villar spun past his defender took a few steps and thumped a dipping shot for the near post. The Alba keeper managed to parry the ball out for a corner.

Luque whipped a ball right into the mixer. 4 players went up for it and the ball pinballed between them eventually landing at Villar's feet. The game then devolved into a U10 kickfest. There were a flurry of swinging legs. I'm pretty sure I saw Villar take 3 kicks at the ball. I'm not sure if he connected every time, but the ball was certainly pinballing around the 5m box as everyone desperately tried to thump the ball somewhere.

Eventually the ball soared high and wide, clear of the danger. Moises got underneath it, controlled it and passed it across the top of the box to Josete. Josete fed the ball to Villar.

Villar hit a thunderous shot right at the keeper. Pressure relieved.

Israel realized that Moises was going to stick to him like stink on ****. So in the 32nd minute he dropped deep to get the ball and quickly passed the ball up to Molina. Moises didn't track Israel's run from well in his own half, but Perico did. Molina fed the ball into the space Moises had created but Perico was sprinting right next to Israel.

Israel won the race to the ball but Perico was right at his side. The pressure from Perico helped and Alejandro blocked the shot and it trickled out for a corner.

This fast break began an onslaught from Alba.

We cleared the corner, but the ref called a foul on us in the center circle after some back and forth in the middle of the park.

Alba played a long-ball down the left channel. Their left midfielder out-jumped Dalmau and the ball bounced into the path of Molina. Alejandro parried his shot out for a corner.

We cleared that corner, too.

But in the 39th minute. They worked the ball down the left again. As the ball came into the middle from the left, Martins decided to step forward and abandon Umarov. He immediately realized his mistake but he was too late.

Umarov was in alone and slid a shot under Alejandro.

1-0

The players then got organized and we kept the ball until halftime. We created several good chances, but a couple of great stops by their keeper preserved their lead.

Then Luque played a ball up to Souda just like earlier. Souda tried to feed the ball into his path and this time succeeded. Alba didn't pick up his run from deep and he was in alone.

1-1

He bulged the side netting.

At halftime, I gave them another pep talk. They were doing great and just needed to keep doing what they were doing. I decided to drop Villar into the midfield as he hadn't done much as a forward in the first half.

I also told everyone to get Kike Lopez the ball and for Kike to run with it. He hadn't really seen the ball in the first half.

We completely dominated the first 15 minutes of the second half. We created chance after chance. Their goalkeeper stood tall and we just couldn't put a header on net. The runs from deep by Villar and Luque were terrorizing the Alba defense.

Then in the 62nd minute, Moises lost Israel. Either their midfielder was planning on trying a ball into the right channel or he saw that Moises wasn't paying attention. Regardless, Israel was all by himself and running onto a through ball. Fortunately for us, his first touch was atrocious. It bounced off his knee and was running nicely to Alejandro.

Danger averted.

We continued to create chances, but so did they. This was mainly because Luque was tiring. His passes were starting to get intercepted and he just wasn't as sharp. So in the 67th minute, I replaced him with Bruninho. Bruninho was a good passer and while he wasn't going to score, he'd be solid defensively and help keep the ball.

Then disaster struck.

Alejandro tipped a long range shot over the bar for a corner. Israel took the corner and we cleared it, but right back to him. In the meantime, Wellington forgot about Molina. Israel spotted our mistake and sent a near post header right to a wide open Molina. His redirection went over Alejandro and nestled into the far side netting.

2-1

We had 17 minutes to go plus stoppage time. We answered by camping in their half. Alba parked the bus and dared us to try and break them down. They threw themselves in front of shots, several of them from in close and their keeper made a miraculous point blank save on Villar in the 78th minute.

I replaced Perico with Kike Marquez as Perico was tiring in the 83rd minute.

We kept crossing the ball in, lumping it in, working in it, but nothing bore fruit.

As the 4th official raised his board signaling a mere 2 minutes of extra time, I had the sinking feeling that we were going to lose.

Suddenly, the players had trouble connecting passes. Their desperation crosses were woefully inaccurate.

Then 1:50 into extra time, Jose Figueroa Vasquez looked at his watch and blew three depressing blasts on his whistle.

I saw nearly every player's head droop as the final whistle sounded. So close, yet so far.

The locker room was silent.

"I apologize for letting you down, boss," Martins said.

"Relax guys," I replied. "You played great. Their keeper made some fabulous saves. If he's not man-of-the-match, well, I wouldn't know what to tell you. He was great. We were unlucky and it just wasn't our night."

"We're still on track for a promotion spot," I continued. "The match against Linense is what will decide our fate."

The players all nodded and I could tell the blue mood from losing had lifted slightly. This wasn't the end, regardless of what Florentino might do tomorrow.

View attachment 430701 View attachment 430700

I checked my iPhone. Linense were trailing at home to an early strike from Jose Pina of Atletico SanLuqueno. If they lost we'd be fifth but still tied on points. Cartagena was up to third with a victory over La Hoya.

As the players were finishing showering, I saw that Linense had equalized. By the time we were loading the bus, their draw was final.

We were fifth but I would plead my case to Florentino in the morning once we were back home.

It was going to be an agonizingly long bus ride home.

Even over the rattling of the old bus and the drone of the tires and the wind, I noticed that the conversations on the bus had stopped. We were a mere half hour into our 7 hour bus ride back to Linense after having stopped for dinner.

"Boss, you should see this," said Mikel Martins walking forward to front of the bus where the coaches always sat.

"What's up?" I asked.

He handed me his iPad.
diarodecadiz.es 30 March 2014
Cadiz sack Pucci
Bogdan Laba

Cadiz CF Chairman Florentino Manzano has sacked manager Enrico Pucci after tonight's 2-1 away loss to league leaders Albacete Balompie.

"Pucci was not getting the results and had lost the players," Manzano said. "Assistant Manager Paco Leal will assume caretaker duties until a permanent replacement can be found."

Pucci gets fired despite winning 17 of 32 matches and keeping Los Submarino Amarillos in the promotion playoff hunt. Cadiz are in fifth and trail fourth place Linense by a mere point. Cadiz and Linense square up against each other for what appears to be the playoff deciding match in the 37th round.

Jose Aurelio Gay, Victor Esparrago, former player Jose Gonzalez as well as Leal are rumored to be in the running for the open post.

The new manager will have a mere six matches to right the sinking Yellow Submarine, find some consistency and win promotion for Manzano.

Have you ever been dumped by a girlfriend via text message?

An empty pit opened up in the base of my stomach.

That feeling of impending doom, like the other shoe was going to drop, like my Alfa Romeo would stop running hit me.

And hit me hard.

No job. Girlfriend is probably going to dump me because I have to leave town to find a job. Soon I'll have no money to fix the Alfa.

I'm ****ed.

"Enrico!" Paco said. "Snap out of it. You'll be alright. We all love you and think you're the best."

"Bus driver," Paco ordered. "Find the nearest bar. We need to purchase a vast amount of alcohol."

A few minutes later we pulled into restaurant in La Roda. Javi Garcia, Llorente, Mikel Martins and Luque piled off the bus.

Paco sat back down next to me.

"That's wrong, my friend, what he's just done to you," he said. The players were all crowding up at the front of the bus. I started feeling claustrophobic.

"Let's all get of the bus for a minute," I said. "I think I need some air."

Soon the foursome emerged carrying boxes on wine. Javi Garcia had a box of assorted hard liquor. The owner followed with a box of styrofoam cups.

"We are ready for the party to end all parties!" Javi Garcia shouted. "Let's get drunk!"

The rest of the bus ride was a blur of singing, shouting and carrying on. Towards the end there were several bathroom stops, I think.

I vaguely recall trying to convince the bus driver to drop everyone off at their residences. I think I offered him quite a lot of money, too, but he wouldn't do it.

I'm pretty sure that at some point Ana Maria called. I think. I'm not entirely sure.

At some point I lost my iPhone and one shoe.

thats bull you were on pace to meet you goal idk why you would be sacked best of luck hope to see the story continue

thats bull you were on pace to meet you goal idk why you would be sacked best of luck hope to see the story continue

Thanks but please don't type so loud. I've got a horrific hangover. Plus I think a small, furry rodent crawled into my mouth and died. Oh, wait. That's my tongue. I'm going to go back to bed now. Though maybe I'll take some tablets for the headache.

Someone was banging on my door. Oh sweet Mary Mother of God my head aches. I swung my feet over the edge of the bed. Oh **** the room is moving a bit.

The pounding continues.

"I'M COMING!" I yell back.

I'm wearing my pants and one sock. **** it. That's presentable enough to answer the door at this hour. What hour? 10:24AM?

Then it all hits me. I've been sacked. We got drunk on the bus ride home.

I fling the door open. It's Javi Garcia. He's wearing dark sunglasses.

"Is this your phone?" he asks holding out something.

I grab and look at it. It's a little blurry. I try to focus.

"Thanks, Javi," I say. After fumbling the password into the phone I realized it was mine. "I'm gonna need this today."

"My friend, that was wrong what he did," Javi Garcia says. "I've seen some managers sacked in my day, but this tops it. It's not like we were out of contention or anything. What a ****** **** ********* *** *******!"

"Yeah," I replied. "Thanks."

"Stay in touch, my friend," he said. "I've got to go in and meet the new manager. Talk about not having the room. This poor **** is going to have a hard time."

"Thanks, man."

And with that Javi Garcia turned and walked out of my life. He sure was fun to work with. Gonna miss him. Gonna miss all of them.

diarodecadiz.es 31 March 2014
Cadiz hires Jose Aurelio Gay
Bogdan Laba

Jose Aurelio Gay takes the helm of Cadiz CF replacing Enrico Pucci. Chairman Florentino Manzano wasn't satisfied with the progress the team was making under Pucci. The away loss to league leaders Albacete yesterday was the last straw.

Gay inherits a team that is the second top scoring team and boasts one of the stingiest defenses. Gay will be tasked with pulling that all together and finding the consistency needed to win promotion through the Segundo B playoffs.

Los Submarino Amarillos currently sit in 5th place. Gay's first task is to win back the changing room and win against the Cordoba B team.

"I will be reevaluating the players available," Gay said. "And move forward and deliver promotion for the Cadistas."

Gay knows something about winning promotion in El Segundo having achieved it with Pontevedra in 2004. He has also been in charge of the Madrid C, Jaen, Lorca and Zaragoza B.

As I lay in bed unable to sleep and with Ana Maria snoring softly beside me, I reflected back. I realize that 11:30pm is the wrong time to think this through, but I'd been in a hangover fog until I met up with her after work. I am fully aware that if my next gig is outside of Spain, we're done. We're probably done regardless. Her family means everything to her and like so many other families on the Iberian peninsula, the few are supporting the many. The economy is really that bad. An estimated 50% unemployment amongst the 18-30 demographic.

The dynamic between us this evening was different. Like we both knew this was going to end and that we'd best enjoy it. Not sad, not yet anyways. Just sort of resigned to it all.

My lease for this apartment is up at the end of July. Since I was fired, I get paid through the end of June.

I'll miss Esteban and the twice weekly shaves. The Cadiz sun is really, really nice. I'll definitely miss that.

I think I've only had 4 days off since I took the job. I can't even believe that I haven't gotten sick or anything. Must be the mild climate. I was guaranteed a cold or two each winter because of the damp of Bologna.

I was ****ed the minute that Michael as suspended for cocaine. Yeah, that was it. He was a gamer. By gamer I mean the kind of player who grabs the match by the short hairs and makes it do what he wants. He showed that in the pre-season and in his first game. What a cluster**** that was. How the **** do you not tell affiliated club to whom you're loaning that guy that he has a cocaine suspension hanging over his head? Affiliated clubs are supposed to be friendly. Theoretically, we were helping them out by giving a young player the playing time he wouldn't get back home.

The only other gamers were Alejandro, Jorge Luque, Mehdi Nafti and Jose Villar. Nafti got crocked and missed the second half. That sucked. Luque is a passer at heart. He needs a real poacher to feed. Airam and Aymen Souda and sometimes Villar just weren't true poachers. Souda scored in bunches. 18 goals are great, but he missed so many opportunities for everyone one he scored.

Villar is like Freddie Kanoute. Remember him? Someone once said that on his day, Kanoute was as good as Thierry Henry. While you may scoff, it's true. It's true because his day didn't come all that often.

And the reason Cadiz have such a stingy defense is Alejandro. It certainly isn't the myriad players I tried in my effort to stay in close games. Too many soft players in the back. I mean seriously, I was playing a teenager as my left back because at least he had the speed to track back and make recovery tackles.

The come from behind draws against La Hoya and La Roda in October hurt. Airam and Souda were missing in action. The loss to El Palo was brutal. That win against us was only 1 of 5 wins total.

That and the game I threw because the Camorra told me to. With those six points in the bag, Cadiz would be battling Sevilla Atletico for 2nd. ****ing Camorra. ****ing El Palo and their tiny one thousand seat stadium with no changing rooms.

It's midnight now.

Oh my God! I've completely forgotten about Ricardo Chara. The loanee from Udinese. Boy-oh did he turn out to be far less than advertised. He was supposed to be a strong, dynamic center back. Turns out he's more of a great big fraidy cat frightened of any attacker dribbling at him. Sweet Mary Mother of God did my defense panic when Mikel Martins was out hurt.

I wonder how Senor Gay gets along with the lot of them ...

Last edited:
Looking forward to where the next chapter of your managerial journey takes you. :)

"Enrico, my friend, come in come in, sit down," Esteban exclaimed as I walked into his barbershop. "On behalf of all Cadistas I want to apologize for our ******* ***** ****** Chairman."

"Thanks, my friend," I replied.

"I now fear that he has no idea what he's doing," he continued. "It's just not fair. Not fair I tell you. What are you going to do now?"

"I've talked to my agent," I replied. "He'll started looking to find me a new job."

"Do you think he'll find you one in Spain?"

I shrugged.

"What countries is he looking?" Esteban asked.

"Here, Italy and England," I replied. "Countries in which I speak the language."

"Of course, of course," he said as he began shaving my skull.

"What about Ana Maria?" he asked after a moment of silence.

I sighed.

"I ... um ... we ... um ... I brought it up," I stammered. "I'm pretty sure she'll be staying here. She and her brother have good paying jobs and are supporting a lot of people. She's the responsible type."

"I'm so sorry, Enrico," he replied. "Football management is a brutal business. She is a marvelous woman."

"I know."

"Hold your head high, Enrico," he continued. "You worked under very difficult circumstances. No transfer budget. That cocaine suspension. Expenses slashed. I remember you telling me that they stopped overnight travel and made you ride on older buses. Then this last month's worth of votes of confidences. What a huge stinking pile of merde."

"Thank you, Esteban, you've been a great friend."

It's April 1st, 2014. Right now there are only 3 positions open. Ascoli who are getting relegated from C1 to C2 and two Spanish clubs who are getting relegated into semi-professional football. I'm sure that as the season nears it's end, more managers will quit or get fired. I have to remain patient.

That's going to suck.

I've been dead broke before so I'm going on austerity measures just in case a job doesn't pop right away. Like I said before, Cadiz are paying me until the end of June. I'm going to make that money last as long as possible.

First off, no more dining out. I can't cook, but I can boil rice and pasta according to the directions on the box. I can heat up pre-packaged sauces. This is going to suck, but I'd rather make the money last. I'd better buy some cookbooks.

Secondly, I'll spend some of my time visiting some of the day trip sights. I'll pack a lunch (I can make a sandwich) to save money. Or bring a hunk of chorizo, fresh bread, some cheese, some fruit and a bottle of water.

Third, less drinking in bars. I know which bars have the cheapest drinks and best/cheapest wine selections. When I do go I'll hit the happy hours.

Fourth, I will do my best not to freak out or get too depressed about my situation. I need to be in a good frame of mind when I get an interview.

My phone jangles. It's Wednesday. It's Paco. He must have just left training, it's just after 2pm.

"Hey Paco," I answer.

"How are you doing, Enrico?" he asks.

"Fine," I said. "My agent has begun the process. The jobs will open up. How's Gay?"

"He shouts all the time," Paco replied. "We'll see how it goes."

"Cordoba Bs this Sunday," I say.

"Yeah," he chuckles. "I can't see it going well. Tomas and Josete have been restored to their "rightful" places in the defense."

"The goals will flow," I quipped. Paco snorted on the other end of the line.

"Jose keeps talking about setting things right and righting the ship," Paco said. "He's not exactly helping his cause. I can see that the players don't agree with him. They're at least being polite. Most have been through manager changes before."

"Moises will likely never play again for Cadiz," he continued. "Bruninho is dropped for Martins as the holding mid."

"I'd have rather played him there," I said. "But who was going to hold the middle in the defense?"

"Exactly," Paco replied.

"How's the coaches and staff taking it," I asked.

"They're fine," he replied. "You know how it goes. The coaches have been through all this before as have the staff. Margarita told me to say hello to you."

"She's such a sweet and generous person," I said.

"I'll tell her you said that," he replied.

"Talk to you soon, Paco," I said.

"Ola," he said and hung up.

Sunday, 6 April 2014

Here's the first result under Jose Aurelio Gay. Oops.

View attachment 429612

Cordoba B scored early and the players couldn't get going. Only 3 shots on net. So much for our passing ... wait ... their passing game.

Pathetic.

Back