The American Dream?

Statement of Intent

-06ad9335c0627c95.JPG
"There is what i can only describe as media carnage here in Portland as the national media gathers at the unveiling of the Timbers new DP, we have been promised a superstar is coming to the MLS and will walk out of those doors behind me in just under an hour, the Timbers management team has managed to keep this deal well under wraps from the public and apparently the mystery player will come out and sign the contract here today infront of this very large media circus and will then be unveiled to fans outside JELD-WEN field this afternoon, there is already large groups of Timbers fans gathering outside JELD-WEN where the unveiling will be screened on a large monitor to see the breaking news on their new hero, the rumour mill has been going crazy over the past 2 days with people throwing various names around on who this player is, one thing is for sure though, soccer is certainly sweeping this city and indeed the nation....i'm Dwayne Hollings, ESPN news"

MayorJeldWen_medium.jpg

Managing Director Ken Puckett takes to the mic to make the announcement

"Welcome to Portland people, now we all know there has been alot of
speculation over the last week since we freed up one of our DP slots. Mr Paulson, Head Coach Robbie Thompson and myself have worked very hard to secure the signing of the man we are here to see today, we promised a big name and we are very certain that they don't come much bigger than him in the world of soccer. The honours that this man has won speak for themself, a 3 time UEFA Champions League winner, a 5 time La Liga winner and capped at the highest level for his country... so without further adue.. ladies and gentleman i am delighted to announce the newest addition to the Portland Timbers family....GUTI !!"

jose-maria-guti-44.jpg

We had nailed it! Guti arrives in Portland

The room erupted in applause and cheers after those words from Ken, we had done it, we had signed Guti and i was like a kid at Christmas, this was like a bizarre dream for me, 2 years ago i was being made redundant by Portsmouth and now i was here in America as a Head Coach unveiling Guti as my new signing! things were certainly on the up.

After that phonecall from his agent Bruno Rocha, myself and Ken Puckett flew down to LA to speak with him and when we finally found out of the identity of what was the mystery man we knew we had to pull all the stops out and bring Guti to Portland. Rocha was the man left in charge of negotiations by Guti's main representative Marco Kirdemir who had other business and could not make it to LA that afternoon and he seemed like a man that got straight to the point, we met with him at the reception of his hotel which was also the place we were finally introduced to Guti. We sat and spoke for a couple of hours and things were looking very rosy, Guti told us about his release from Besiktas and some of the problems he had in Istanbul and he was keen on a new start and especially interested in having a piece of the American lifestyle. He got the point across to myself and Ken that he was 34 and he felt he had 3 good years left in him but he also made it crystal clear that he wouldn't come cheap. This was to be expected, afterall the guy had spent nearly all of his career playing for Real Madrid on mega money. Guti also name dropped David Beckham his old team mate saying he had spoken to David about the money that could be earned in the states and he wanted a piece. I could see Ken squirm a little when the money talk was flowing, Ken didn't know how much money Guti was talking but by the look on his face i think he thought Rocha and Guti were going to ask for $1 million a week, i didn't know exactly how much to be fair but i had a rough idea.

We eventually got down to the real business, Timber's owner Merrit Paulson couldn't be there with us on that day but he did say "When you get to LA and find out who the player is call me, we'll make a decision, but we don't exceed $50,000 a week on the DP slot okay guys?" So after we informed Meritt of the player's identity we got talking salaries. After a further hour of negotiations the deal was struck with various terms and conditions as always, Guti agreed to weekly wage of $47,500 with various bonuses which we haggled, Rocha's original figure he put out there was $55,000 per week so we did well i thought, however the player and Rocha were adamant that Guti was going to settle and live in LA so we had to agree to have him flown up to Portland via private jet for training. Training once the season is underway is four and a half days a week, Guti would join us for three of those sessions and train by himself in LA the rest of the time. I could understand why he wanted to live in LA rather than Portland, more so than Ken Puckett anyway but afterall Guti was used to the limelight, he had been a football superstar all his life practically and he wanted to live somewhere that went hand in hand with his lifestyle. I wasn't concerned i just wanted him playing for my team. Come night time hand shakes were made and the deal was struck, for Rocha's part in bringing Guti to Portland he received a hefty sum of $350,000..not bad for one call and a day of talking is it?

Guti.jpg

We had captured the ex Real captain

"I am delighted to sign for the Portland Timbers, they made it clear they really want me here which was a huge reason for me, i look forward to meeting my new team mates and becoming part of the MLS and i can't wait for the new season"

Guti on signing for the Portland Timbers

timbers-logo-masthead.jpg

my pleasure guys , thank you very much.. new update coming today! (open to any suggestions on improving the story also)

Team Introduction

Strong-Earle Stand Up.jpg

Robbie Earle - New Broadcasting Analyst of Timbers TV

"Yeh the pre-season results have been quite average for the Timbers, 2 wins, 1 draw and 1 defeat all against lower American sides but all that goes out of the window when they come face to face with the Colorado Rapids on game day one in three days time. Robbie Thompson has submitted his final roster this week and a couple of players have unfortunately had to be waived because of the arrivals of Richards, Ihemelu, Guti and Dulee Johnson but the team sheet looks alot stronger on paper than it did a month ago"

"Thanks Robbie let's take a moment to analyse the main players in the Timbers roster for 2011 starting with the goalkeeper.."

perkins.jpg

1. TROY PERKINS - "he's a decent goalkeeper Clive, at 29 he's in his prime and this is his first season in Portland, previous MLS experience of course with DC United, did okay in pre-season i would expect him to come into his own after he gets a few games under his belt"

Defence

ihemelu.jpg

3. UGO IHEMELU - "newly acquired from FC Dallas in the off-season, a big strong lad at centre back with vast experience in the Western Conference and the MLS, this man has won the MLS with LA Galaxy in 2005 and that winning experiance will come in vital, he's been there and done it and still only 27 years old, a big season ahead for Ugo, i would expect him to be a key player this season"

Timbers.Training040511.CM16-1.jpg

98.FUTTY DANSO - "A Gambian international, he's played with Portland before the MLS days and at 6'3" he brings huge physical presence to the back line, great in the air, i would expect him to partner Ihemelu in the heart of the Timbers defence"

Midfield

2010-07-26+Guti.jpg

14. GUTI - "Well what can you say about this man? he's done it all and at the highest level, 3 Champions League's and 5 La Liga titles with Real Madrid, it's no wonder Robbie Thompson has made him club captain, a mega signing in the off-season, i would expect him to sit in the middle of the park creating chances, picking passes for his team mates, Guti has great vision, great technique and is a brilliant passer of the football"

jewsbury.jpg

13.JACK JEWSBURY - "it will be Jack's first season in Portland but the guy is no stranger to the Major League, 8 years experience with Kansas City, over 180 MLS appearances, i would expect him to be the defensive cog in the midfield, sitting infront of the back four as he did in pre-season and that should allow Guti more freedom to get forward. Jewsbury is known for having a great determination and work ethic, Robbie will expect him to do the non fancy stuff, the nitty gritty if you like.

Timbers.vsAjax.052511.CM047.jpg

7.SAL ZIZZO - "A tricky winger capped once by the United States and at 24 still has time to add to that collection, made 10 MLS appearances last year for Chivas USA after arriving from German Bundesliga outfit Hannover of where he was a product of their academy and made 8 appearances for their first team. It's now time for him to step up and become a regular in this Timbers side"

Forwards

Timbers_Boyd_Presser_LW002.jpg

9. KRIS BOYD - "I know what Kris Boyd is all about and that's goal scoring, 164 goals in 300 Scottish Premier League appearances with Glasgow Rangers and Kilmarnock tells the story, Kris is a natural goal scorer with a great pedigree i would expect him to be up there in the scoring charts come the end of the season, a great piece of business by the Timbers to get Boyd in, and he's still in his prime at 27 years old Clive"

nagbe_0.jpg

6. DARLINGTON NAGBE - "Portland's first choice pick in the MLS draft (2nd pick overall), this kid clearly has talent, at 20 years of age he's fresh, quick and has that flair side to his game. Nagbe can play as a striker or an attacking midfield player, he did very well in college soccer for Akron University and alot people are expecting big things from this kid"

"Thanks Robbie, That was the thoughts of our very own Robbie Earle there of Timbers TV now here's a look at the Timbers first team roster in full before we go, I've been Clive Collins with Robbie Earle, until next time Timbers fans, have a good day!"

timbers-logo-masthead.jpg
MLS-Logo.gif

1. TROY PERKINS - GK
3. UGO IHEMELU - DEF
5. ERIC BRUNNER - DEF
6. DARLINGTON NAGBE - FWD
7. SAL ZIZZO - MID
8. DANE RICHARDS - MID
9. KRIS BOYD -FWD
10. EDDIE JOHNSON - FWD
11. KHALIF ALHASSAN - MID
13. JACK JEWSBURY - MID
14. GUTI (CAPTAIN) - MID
15. JORGE PERLAZA - FWD
17. ERIC ALEXANDER - MID
20. JAKE GLEESON - GK
21. JAMES MARCELIN - MID
22. RODNEY WALLACE - DEF
25. STEVE PURDY -DEF
26. ANDREW JOHN-BAPTISTE - DEF
27. CHRIS TAYLOR - DEF
30. LOVEL PALMER - DEF
40. DULEE JOHNSON - MID
98. FUTTY DANSO - DEF

As i sat there and watched Timbers TV the excitement was gathering for the new MLS season, this club's first MLS season. Timbers TV was a new feature which had little spells on local TV but was mainly broadcast and streamed online for the fans, a way for the fans to get closer to us it was portrayed as. I couldn't actually believe Robbie Earle was working as part of the Timbers media team, what a coup that was, the guy wasn't a bad pundit for ITV before he got sacked that was..

Pre-season was finally over, it went okay, not the greatest. Four away games, two coincidentally against my old employers Minnesota Stars in which we drew and lost. I wasn't happy with those results as you can imagine but it was only pre-season. My return to Minnesota was well received to there was no hard feelings from anybody and it was nice to see some of the old faces there again including my old friend Carl Craig.

I had made one more addition to the squad in pre-season and that was Liberian midfielder Dulee Johnson who we picked up as a free agent. Dulee had played for many years in the Swedish leagues with AIK Stockholm and BK Hacken his most recent spell was with Dutch outfit De Graafschap where he played 3 games but the Dulee decided to have his contact terminated by mutual consent. I thought we may need some more edge in the central midfield area, it was a position on which we where short on numbers so we are all glad to get a deal done for Dulee.

1_2082345TS1280650273179_slot100slotWide75ArticleFull.jpg

Latest Addition - Dulee Johnson

There was now only 2 days to go until myself and the Portland Timbers would make our MLS bouts. The first fixture would see us travel to Colorado to play the Rapids, immediately i thought to myself Diego Chara would be on a revenge mission but that didn't concern me, i needed the team fully focused on the challenge ahead. The Rapids game would be followed by two further away trips to Philadelphia Union (in the US Cup first round) and then a trip to New England to play the revolution before eventually playing our first game on home soil which would be against the Chicago Fire. So we had three games before we got play infront of the Timbers Army at JELD-WEN field but our focus had to be on match day one in Colorado.....

Last edited:
Great story man! The only reason I never manage in the USA is because I don't get the designated player, draft pick etc.

Great story man! The only reason I never manage in the USA is because I don't get the designated player, draft pick etc.

cheers pal...yeah, it's very very complicated and there's so much to get your head around i had to do a bit of research as i was playing to try and understand it! :D

I may do an American save when I've finished my Sociedad one!

Back