The Arising from the Dead : Blyth Spartans Saga

Reaction score
Helloooo, am back after god knows how long,

Apologies for a delay if you've missed me (most of you wont know who the heck I'am) but that's not important. What is is that am back to write up on my beloved Blyth Spartans load after being given the chance to play as them through the hard work of my friend who added the leagues below the Blue Square's down an extra 4 levels of the footballing pyramid.

Blyth was relegated from the Blue Square North last season (First relegation in the clubs history, going back over 100 years) and were placed in the Evo Stik Premier Division - clearly a highly rated and well known division in the country, naaaatttt!!

But here we go anyway's, my friend even went into great detail creating all the players for Blyth and all the other teams in the divisions ( main detail of the Northern League, most local league at level 9 ) so great thanks goes to him.

Quick Brief

Blyth are based in Northumberland, North East of England and are of a semi - professional status. They are known well for their FA Cup heroics and hold a rivalry with local professional outfit Gateshead FC. The ground they play at is named Croft Park, holds capacity of 4400 and our facilities on training and youth ain't the strongest.

Pre-Season

Luton, Bishop Auckland, Hartlepool, Morecambe, Concett was the list of games arranged to test the paces of the players at the club. (Just to say, Hartlepool United are our parent club on the game) Here's how they went ...

Luton Town - Difficult tie against professional opposition, would always be lucky to pick up a draw or win, ended up with a decent 3-1 victory at home with goals coming from Riley, Airey and Maddison.

Bishop Auckland - A more local tie against a Durham outfit from the Northern League. Comfortable 4-0 win on the road with goals from Jennings, Hawkins, Mason and Farrell.

Hartlepool United - A difficult tie against another professional side from League 1, game finished at a respectable 2-2 draw, scorers named as Dale and Kendrick.

Morecambe -
Another tough tie against league opposition, players and fans will be happy with the 1-0 defeat from the visitors.

Concett - Another tie from the Northern League, a very easy and comfortable 6-0 thrashing from the Spartans saw Airey, Jones score once with Maguire and Davies knocking in twice each.

So with a mostly positive pre-season, the squad needed to be sort for the up coming campaign, it was mainly already good enough but a couple more additions were added to the mix, here's a list of my players for my first season at the helm ...

Goalkeepers - Conor Grant, Craig Pickering, Matty Hunter

Right Backs - Craig Baxter (Bedlington, Free), Shaun Utterson, Paul Buzzeo (Ashington, Free)

Centre Halves -
Wayne Buchanan, Carl Jones, Darren Donnelly, Ritchie Slaughter, Jordan Mellish

Left Backs - Joe Kendrick, Michael Riley (Newcastle United, 5 month loan)

Right Midfield - Lee Mason, Ryan McGorrigan

Centre Midfield - Neal Hooks, Shaun Vipond, Tom Berj, Sam Hodgeson, Paul King, Jack Stanger, Craig Hubbard, Scott Blandford, Jake Turnbull, Lewis Hawkins (Hartlepool United, 5 month loan)

Left Midfield - Robbie Dale, Damon Mullen

Strikers - Ashley Davies, Phil Airey, Dan Maguire, Callum Hassan, Craig Farrell, Andy Jennings, Marcus Maddison (Newcastle United, 5 month loan)

Yes, my squad is large but its everyone who Blyth have signed up in real life but play for other clubs, because this low down (in real life) players can play for two clubs if they sign the right paper work. So right, here we go, the start of the EVO STIK, the players, staff and fans need to stick together to do well after relegation
;) (see what i did there, sorry ... )

evo-300x85.jpg

Will post the fixtures and results of the first 4 games later some point today in more detail than the pre-season matches, hope you join me on my adventure!!

So after playing the first few games of the season, here is what has happened ...

11/08/2012 - VS Stocksbridge Park Steels

First game of the season see's Blyth Spartans host Stocksbridge Park Steels infront of 411 fans. After just 11 minutes into the tie, the home side took the league through club legend Robbie Dale. Just before the 20 minute mark, the lead was doubled by on loan striker Marcus Maddison making his debut for the club. A great way to start the campaign with a win and the new players to introduce themselves to the home fans. Debuts from Airey, Maddison, Hawkins, Brittain, Riley and a man of the match performance by Baxter would of done themselves justice.

14/08/12 - VS Nantwich Town

The first away game of the season for the North East outfit is too travel down to Nantwich on a tuesday night. It was a poor start by the visitors as they concede on 16 minutes by Nantwich's Tony Evans. But Blyth left it late until they fought back and grabbed an equaliser after 73 minutes with Robbie Dale's second goal in as many games. A draw is acceptable at this stage of the season so no negativity is placed on the squad. Debuts for Andy Jennings, Jack Stanger and Ryan McGorrigan didnt have the best show but its early days yet and more matches under their belts will only help them.

18/08/12 - VS Hednesford Town

A real test for the Spartans team as they welcome Hednesford to Croft Park. The game started off slowly and didnt kick off until the second half when loan signing Maddison buried the ball past the away sides goalkeeper after 58 minutes. And just before the full time whistle, the Newcastle reserve player got his and his teams second goal on 83 minutes to secure Blyth and extra 3 points towards the league table. A first start for Joe Kendrick at left back was a positive one with the player getting a good rating from the match.

25/08/12 - VS Whitby Town

The most local away game for the Blyth fans saw them travel down the east coast to the sea side town of Whitby. Coming to the game it was a clear victory for the visitors, as they put four past the home keeper. The first came after 29 minutes from a new signing named Paul Brayson, an ex player of the club. The second goal came from the very impressive Marcus Maddison on 59 minutes. Brayson got his second of the game after 76 minutes and then wrapped up a perfect debut for the club by sealing his hat-rick on 89 minutes. A very impressive game from all players who took place, specially from debutee Paul Brayson.

News

2 new player have joined the club whilst the past fixtures took place, both coming in on free transfers. First Paul Brayson, signing on a free from Bedlington Terriers who is a striker. He used to be at the club in the 2009/10 and 2010/11 and scored 54 goals in 82 games and will hopefully make the difference in the strike force for the club again. Also a new goalkeeper has joined the club from a free agent named Josh O'Connell. He will be able to help the club as back up in case of injury to the current number one, Matty Hunter.

Craig Pickering has left the club after only being training with the club and not being near the starting position. Also 4 players have been loaned out to other clubs. Jake Turnbull has joined Durham City, Dan Maguire has joined Darlington, Sam Hodgson has also joined the Quakers with Maguire and Lee Mason has joined Bedlington Terriers.

The next four games will be posted the next time i have the time to write these up, hope you will be continue to follow!!

twitter_profile_pic.png

Sorry for the delay, got my 18th birthday coming up tomorrow and been nerding the coursework so have a fun weekend ;)

But here is the lasted results after the Whitby trip ...

01/09/2012 - VS Frickley Town - Not a great result but its still early days for the club as they pick up an away point in West Yorkshire. It was the home side which stuck first as the took the lead just before the half time whistle through teenage striker James Lee. But straight after the break, the away side raced out of the blocks after some stern words by the manager and quickly equalised on 54 minutes through now the very impressive Marcus Maddison, his fifth in as many games. Both teams held back and protected their goals and quite happily took a point each.

04/09/2012 - VS Chorley -
Safe to say that there was only going to be one winner in this tie after half time. A demolition job was put onto the Chorley players shoulders as they went down 7-0 to Blyth Spartans. The first of many came after 8 minutes through right winger Ryan McGorrigan. The 2nd goal of the game came from prolific striker Marcus Maddison for his 6th of the season after 20 minutes. Former Newcastle United reserve striker Phil Airey made it 3-0 just before the half time mark to put Spartans into a solid lead. Second half started off the same as the first, with a McGorrigan goal on 50 minutes, making it 4-0. It was soon 5 when McGorrigan completed his hat-rick, from the right wing. After 63 minutes, Phil Airey got his second and Blyth's 6th as they continue to tear Chorley apart. And shortly after, the 7th and last goal was placed in by Airey to also claim his hat-rick, but a rare time in occurring wont get the match ball due to McGorrigan's earlier three goals. A cracking performance all round, including a Blyth debut for goalkeeper Josh O'Connell.

08/09/2012 - VS Stafford - Following the white wash against Chorley, Blyth will be looking for a similar result against Stafford on the saturday. Blyth's impressive strikers continued their great form in a comfortable 4-0 victory over Stafford Rangers. A hat-rick hero from the past game, in Phil Airey opened the scoring on 7 minutes for the Spartans. Strike partner, Marcus Maddison scored his 7th goal in as many games as he doubled his teams lead on 20 minutes. Just before the break, Maddison made it two for him and three for Blyth as they went into half time looking very impressive. Second half started off in a bang as Maddison completed his hat-rick within seconds of kick off to put Blyth 4-0 up against their league rivals. The game slowed down after that and settled out for another secure win for the Northumberland outfit. Marcus Maddison left Croft Park with the match ball under his arm and knowing his nine goals in seven games are really showing him and the team off well in the Evo Stik Premier Division.

15/09/2012 - VS Rushall Olympic - Blyth will be looking to see how long there unbeaten run will stretch after a 2-0 win against Rushall. Goals from right winger Martin Brittain and Phil Airey was the difference between the two sides as Blyth and new goalkeeper Josh O'Connell make it 3 games without conceding and scoring 13 goals in them. O'Connell will be very happy with his start in the Green and white shirt as he has yet to concede in 270 minutes or even at all for Spartans since joining at the end of August on a free transfer, after being released by Blue Square North side Vauxhall Motors in the summer.

News

Players in : N/A

Players out : Damon Mullen + Craig Hubbard (Darlington 1883 ; loans)

Cups : FA Cup 2nd Quali Round ( @Sheffield FC) + Doodson Cup* (Marine @ Home)

So, another very promising set of games for the club, more fringe players coming into the first team or getting loaned out for experience. Some excellent performances from the attacking players and a promising start by new goalkeeper O'Connell. FA Cup is joining the mix along with the Doodson Cup so legs will be tested and hopefully progression as far as possible in both. Lets hope for more success in the next block of fixtures.

*Doodson Cup is basically the league cup but for the Evo Stik Leagues (Premier, North & South)

doodson-sport-cup.jpg

Apologies to people who were looking forward to more posts but i've been busy securing my own real life situations with football and have managed to be installed as the OFFICIAL BLYTH SPARTANS PRESS OFFICER! :D Wont be able to carry on with these blogs as am going to be have my hands full with the actual real team, what a chance for me! Sorry again people, truly disappointed i cant carry on this story ...