The Arrival Of New York City

Reaction score
INTRODUCTION

New York City is a Brand new MLS club that were announced in 2013 and became the 20th team to take part in the MLS. There first season was in 2015 which is the season we will be starting in which gives us a chance to start from scratch pretty much and make this club into a worldwide success. I also must add that New York City FC is an expansion to Manchester City. They also have 3 world class players in Andrea Pirlo formerly of Juventus, Frank Lampard formerly of Chelsea and Andrea Iraola formerly of Athletic Bilbao. The goals of this save is simple become the greatest club to ever grace the MLS and maybe win a few Champions League trophies while we are at it. :)

Last edited:
- Meet The Squad -

View attachment 163914
I have to say we have some cracking youngsters with Jack Harrison being the best prospect. Hopefully these young guys can learn of the likes of Pirlo, Villa and Iraola. And of course lets not forget the player that scored New York Citys first ever goal in real life, Mix Diskerud who will forever be remembered for that goal vs Orlando City another newly found club .

Almost started my own NYCFC save on this forum but you beat me to it! Will be following this for sure, excited to see how you get on :)

- Tactics - ( Formation )

View attachment 163912
The formation i decided to have a pop with is 4-1-3-1-1 . its a very narrow formation which makes me think it may be wise to play possession based football. its Not a tactic i would usually use i have to admit but i needed a tactic that i could get all of the top players in. :)

- Tactics - ( Instructions )

View attachment 163910
I decided to set the mentality to controlled as i am going to 'try' to play possession based football but the tempo is set to lower as i feel it gives us more time on the ball and we wont rush things. ive also decided to play very disciplined football and not let players express themselves to often because of our quality players are getting old and they dont have skill and the pace they used to have.

Any things you think i should change let me know :)

I should also add i will be spending about 1-2 hours a day doing this and after all of the introductory things are out the way i will be doing monthly reviews :)

Nice, defo keep my eye on this, been playing a game in the US as the Chicago Blackhawks, playe NYCFC in the cup semi, won 2-1 but lost the final to the LA Lakers... :(

- Pre Season -

View attachment 163842
Pre season was decent with 4 wins in 7 games despite the fairly positive results we just were not playing up to the standard i know we can. During these games despite dominating possession in every game getting around 60-65% possession we just were not creating enough chances. Ok and now onto the positives. One pleasant surprise was the performances of Khiry Shelton who managed to get 3 goals in 5 games playing in that defensive forward position and RJ Allen the right back who constantly found his way up the pitch do deliver some quality crosses.

Also i should also add that about 6 of the 7 games in pre - season came against teams in the 3rd tier of american football which kind of puts into context the challenge that awaits us

- First Games Of The Season -

View attachment 163841
Absolutely shocking, no heart, no passion and most importantly no belief and what makes it worse we should have lost by more but no point thinking about the past onto the next game and lets hope for a win

View attachment 163839
Fuming!!! drastic times call for drastic measures. Not only did we lose but our main striker David Villa is out for 3-4 months :(

View attachment 163838
We scored our first ever MLS goal shame it had to be in a 2-1 defeat to Colorado. Pirlo will forever be known as the first ever goal scorer for New York City FC which is nice to see. Colorado actually had a player sent of was actually linked with us at the start of the season but we were unable to capitalize on there mistake

View attachment 163837
And we get our first point on the board and we could have perhaps won the game but with our current form i will take a point. Great finish by khiry

Last edited:
- League Table -

View attachment 163828
Not going well at all if we are going to be getting at least top 2 then we need to hurry up and start winning some games quickly im just happy we managed to get at least a point in our last game which gives us a small glimmer of light in a dark tunnel. This is our first ever season so in my opinion we should be aiming for top 6 finish

PS: let me know if you like the layout like this where i talk about every game or should i give updates every 3-6 months

Good luck with NYCFC, I never like managing in usa for some reason!

- Results Are Hard To Come By -

View attachment 163677
Its game 5 of the MLS season and to be perfectly honest in our current run of form without a win in 4 i was in desperate need of a result. To be perfectly honest it was a fairly even game in terms of chances which i guess could be taken as a positive but possession and keeping hold of the ball for any length of time seems an impossible task.

View attachment 163676
Next game we had Philadelphia at home surprisingly as we played them in our last outing. I honestly thought we could get a win out of this game as we held them to a draw at their place but that just was not the case. They took the lead after 4 minutes thanks to a Nogueira goal but we pulled it back in the 46th minute thanks to a spectacular effort for Kwadwo Poku. The stats were fairly even in terms of chances once again but this time we had a little bit more possession with 48%.

View attachment 163674
SHOCKED!!! 4-1 at home to Portland is just not good enough we just didn't turn up on the day (again) and we were punished. We actually took the lead in the first minute would you believe thanks McNamara but we were just not able to hold on and in the 22nd minute Melano gives Portland the lead and from then on we just fell apart and we ended up losing 4-1. The thing that is distracting me the most is the fact the board want us to finish top 2 which gives me the feeling if we dont start picking up results soon i will be out of that door very soon.

View attachment 163678View attachment 163658
Next game we come up against Chicago Fire who i believe where in second place before the game kicked off and alongside playing them at there fort i was not positive about getting anything from this. In the 32nd minute Harry Shipp Gives Chicago the lead but in the 54th minute Khiry Shelton puts us back into the game and that is how the game finished a rather OK 1-1 draw. Before i move forward i would like to say because of the poor run of form before this game i felt we needed a change of tactics. Because of this i decided to download a new tactic of steam which uses a 4-1-4-1 formation which really gives us the opportunity to use all of our top talent and needless to say it went rather well i will update very soon hope you enjoyed.

PS: hope you dont mind me using a tactic i downloaded of steam :)

- First Wins On The Board + Derby Day -

View attachment 163654
BOOM!!! The new tactic seems to be working so far a solid draw vs Chicago Away and a sweet victory vs Seattle who have the likes of Obafemi Martins and Clint Dempsey two former Premier League Stars. Anyway we get the game going with Andrew Jacobson our defensive Midfielder he picks the ball up outside the box and smashes it in top corner and its 1-0. The closing stages of the game came and i was extremely nervous but in the 88th minute Mix Diskerud gets a goal to top of a fantastic performance and our first win of the season

View attachment 163648
Its the big day our first ever game against our supposed rivals New York at their ground and to be honest i could not be happier with the performance all be it a draw. Veron gives New York an early lead but a few moments later we show great fight and bring it back level with a goal from McNamara who is probably our most influential players this season so far. 10 minutes after half time Iraola gives away a stupid penalty to let B.Wright Phillips get a goal to put them in the lead. 10 minutes before the end Khiry Shelton uses his pace to burst through the defense to slot a coolly worked goal. Great Result.

View attachment 163636
Firstly what a performance from both teams who both constantly attacked from the start and gave everything physically possible. F. Brillant gives us the lead early on with a bullet header from a corner. Chicago get a goal shortly after through Igboanike but the next to goals before half time thanks to McNamara and David Villa (first game back from injury i believe) proved pivotal in our victory they managed to get two after half time but we managed to seal the deal in the 77th minute thanks to an own goal. 2 wins in 3 is not bad at all i will take it.

View attachment 163633
This game was probably the most frustrating and disappointing result on FM i think i have ever witnessed considering how much we needed the win. Real Salt Lake take the lead after 26 minutes through Morales. We then claw it back after half time thanks to another Brilliant goal from Brillant (I had to haha) we then took the lead after 76 minutes through David Villa but what happens next really grinds my gears. After being on top all game they score in the 90th minute at which point i was pulling my hair out but then they score AGAIN in the 92nd minute at which point i was ABSOLUTELY FUMING how could we be winning in the 89th minute and then lose the game i will never know but back to the drawing board it is

hope you enjoyed :) Let me know if you are enjoying so it makes me even more motivated to create these and let me know how i can improve.

- League Table 12 Games In -

View attachment 163628
As bad as it may seem we are putting in better performances scoring more goals and creating more chances but i can only hope in the future it will translate into the league table

A bit of a tough start but great to see you getting those first wins! :) Keep up the good work mate, the updates are coming in really fast which is great to see :) Good luck in the future, will continue to follow this!

- Transfer Update -

View attachment 163627
Nothing much going on in the transfer department at this moment in time. With no departures and only two players coming in we i think we can all agree it has been a quite dull window. The two players that have come in are Scott Caruso a solid looking 17 year old goalkeeper as Erik Johanson our back up keeper was injured for a long period of time and we also brought in Tim Melia a 28 year old goalkeeper yes thats right another one, as Josh Saunders is getting on a bit at 33 and he just wasnt putting in the performances we required. Im also on the lookout for a left back as we only have one at the club.

If anybody knows any cheap left backs in the MLS that are ideally American let me know :)

Back