The Arsene Wenger [A tactical discussion][Creating tactic]

TheeRash

Reaction score
Arsene Wenger is undeniably a very good coach (tactically and economically!). So how has he been so successful whilst being so shrewd with his money?
That's what this is for. I want to try and emulate his style in FM14!

First stage: Understanding everything about his tactics!

I will be releasing this when we are done!

Under Wenger, Arsenal play a very attractive, free flowing style of football. It's somewhat possession oriented, but with an deadly intent. They don't pass the ball around slowly, but they don't give the ball away by trying to force the issue. There is a lot of two touch football happening. The idea is very pass-and-move oriented.

Arsenal have always boasted a very technically gifted midfield, and that's where the secret to the Arsenal way is. Midfield domination. They hold the ball very well, and pass efficiently. Lately (until walcott injured himself again), the Frenchman was utilizing walcott as an Inside forward out right (AMR) and Ozil/Cazorla/Wilshere (depending on who is playing) rotating around each other into space.

Behind them sit the DLP (Ramsey) and the Anchor man (Flamini).

The striker has always had just one job - Score. They aren't needed to help (significantly) to the buildup play, they just needed to be a poacher. Scoring anything that is put at their feet in the box (RVP, Henry, Giroud).

This term Arsenal boast one of the best defences in the league. Gibbs and Sagna push up the pitch, but not too high (to prevent defensive frailties). One the attack they overlap and turn into wingers. They are the epitome of the modern fullback.

The Combination of the AMR/AML with their respective fullbacks is very important. The midfield job is not to provide width (that falls to the fullbacks!). What they do is tuck infield, and player their football and wait for the opening.

Down to the Football manager side of things!

V 0.1

Formation

4-2-3-1

Current roles

GK (D)
FB (S) CB (D) CB (D) FB (S)

BWM (D) B2B(S)

IF ( a) AP (S) AP (S)

P (a )

Team instructions

Retain possession
Shorter passing
Work ball into box
Play narrower
Allow wide players to switch
Hassle Opponents
Get stuck in
Higher Tempo

DD7B60445AAB7CC05D33843CECB7DA0E237C3439

Will expand this soon!
please contribute to whatever you can!

Last edited:
I think Gibbs is a CWB or an WB A at least and the BWM is used sometimes in specific scenarios cause there is where Arteta plays as DLP D or Regista. Ozil is more a Trequartista or an AP A. Giroud is not a Poacher from my point of view, maybe a DLF A, TM A or CF S. I agree in the rest.

Santi Cazorla could also be an IF (S) because he usually cuts inside to make space for Gibbs.

Thanks for the input guys.

I'm currently dominating games possession and stat wise, but not really creating CCC's or scoring all too much

Current formation:

DD7B60445AAB7CC05D33843CECB7DA0E237C3439

Too many attacking duties, If you put AMR as IF the AML has to be AP S, or the AMR a W A and the AML IF S. The RB is less attacking than the LB, maybe a Wingback Support in the right and a CWB in the left or FB S and WB A. Also I don't like Podoslki as forward, better use Bendtner there. Hope it helps.

Suicidal tactic with BBM-DPL and CWB. you need at least a CM(D) or your opponents will score 5 goals every game

I'm trying to replicate Wenger's tactic, but i'm still undecided on fluidity (balanced or very fluid?) ,roles,instructions and duties. These are my tactics. What do you think i have to change? View attachment 419460