The Art of Defence...4-2-2-2...rigid,disciplined,counter attack football

baryes

Reaction score
Hello all. I want to share a tactic I created recently. I couldn't find much time to test it but still I want to share it . I want to start by saying a couple of things.

i think its very difficult to play counter attack football in reality. and only top teams can play it properly. because it requires 90 minutes of concentration from all the players . the players who play this kind of football need to have great concentration, composure.they all need to be aggresive. they all need to play for the success of the team. teamwork must be at the highest level. there is no place in the team for the players who are selfish and dont work for the team. all the players must be strong physically.. all players need to be fast to be able to defend. defenders and midfielders must have good vision and passing ability to start a counter attack. and the attackers who will get the ball must be good at anticipating where the ball goes. so what they need is not being good with the ball.what they need is being good off ball. because of all of these things I've always enjoyed this kind of football.because all the players need to be on the same page to get the win.

now I can start to tell about the tactic...

while creating this tactic, I aimed to create something that just gives the team a win. so my main purpose was to score more goals than my opponent.so '1-0' would work out for me. for this I needed to have at least 6 good defenders. two central defenders, two limited full back who can also play as central defenders and two defensive midfielders.

these players must have good anticipation,positioning,concentration,composure,determination,work rate,aggression,decision. and they need to be quick. the limited full backs are very important. I suggest you use central defenders in this position.they need to be good at defending.they will not support attacking movements much so you will not need a player like daniel alves.

for the good attacking movements you have to have four good players. two good midfielders who can pass the ball and have finishing abilities and two good attacking midfielders who have good anticipation, off ball, finishing, composure,passing and also they need to be fast. if you dont have good finishers this tactic could be frustrating for you.

in general I suggest you use players with good mental and physical characteristics. agression, determination, work rate, teamwork, off the ball , positioning , decisions , composure, concentration , anticipation are very important. probably I just told all of the mental attributes. I know its difficult to find players with good mentality.but the better the mentality is ,the better results you will get.

you will definitely find good opportunities to score. but i also suggest you have a good corner and free kick taker.

opposition instructions:

dr : left foot
dl : right foot
mc/amc : closing down
mr/amr : tight marking, left foot
ml/aml : tight marking, right foot
stc : tight marking , closing down

if you decide to try the tactic then it would be great that you give feedback.

if you have any questions id be happy to answer them.

as i continue to this save, ill post the results.

Last edited:
I left the general training to the assistant manager..and I used %50 match training on tactics till the team got used to the tactic and then i left it to the assistant manager.

I finished the season. and i must say im actually amazed. the team did not concede a single goal in 21 leauge matches. i was unbeaten for all the leauge matches. but in the national cup matches the team was really bad cause there were a lot of injuries and i used backup players mostly but still we managed to win the cup.

the team did not score many goals but still the amount of goals was enough to win the title.

i think this tactic could be a good one for the teams that have potential to win the leauge. I dont think it will work for the small clubs. but it could work very well for a team that chase the title after the big clubs. like tottenham, liverpool, roma, atletico madrid, leverkusen.

if you have good players, this tactic could take the team to the next level.

shadow strikers are very important. finishing, composure, dribbling, pace, acceleration, off the ball, anticipation, work rate , passing , creativity, flair, agility...these are very important attributes.

in this save , i disabled transfer budgets so i didnt sign anybody.