Reaction score
The Back to the Future challenge - Mourinho edition

View attachment 43005
View attachment 43004
View attachment 43003
Hello everyone and welcome to my new story! I've seen a lot of really great challenges being created on this forum over the last 2-3 years I've been here and it made me want to start my own. I'm not entirely sure if something like this has been done before but if you find any challenge that is similar, then let me know and I'll be sure to credit the person who created it!

This will be a story that I'll run alongside my Reviving sleeping giants (chapter 2): Aston Villa story with one day of updates for the Villa story and the next of updates for this one.

I've come up with this "Back to the Future" challenge from reading a lot of SAF challenge stories. In this challenge, you may choose any manager you want but the more successful and smaller teams managed, the better. A great example of this would be Carlo Ancelotti, who managed Reggiana and Parma before getting to the bigger teams managed in his career. A terrible example would be Pep Guardiola. Yes, he's a very successful manager, but has only won these trophies with big teams like Bayern and Barcelona, which wouldn't make this a challenge.

Once you've picked a manager, the idea is that you have to look through their stats to see how many games you're allowed to manage for, how much money they've spent throughout that career and how many players they've signed as well. The financial restrictions mean you cannot break a manager's transfer record (in Mourinho's case, Pogba for £89 million), and you cannot spend more than what the manager has spent over his career or sign more than the amount of players that manager has signed. This would make it more difficult for the smaller teams to win trophies which means that if you do want to get to the smaller teams, you better save up on your signings spaces when you're managing big sides like United or Real Madrid! After that, your career as a manager should last as long as the manager's picked. In Mourinho's case, 794 games. An added little bonus can be that if you reach the end of the games your manager has had in his career and you have a better record (in Mourinho's case a better record than 518-157-119), you get an extra amount of points. I haven't decided if it would be something huge like 200 points or a little less.

Oh, and I also forgot to mention that you may use the in-game editor to move from club to club, as building up the reputation to go from Porto to Real Madrid for example could take ages and therefore make the challenge impossible. The one restriction I'll put in place for that is you have to spend at least 2 years at a club before using the editor to change if you wish, since Mourinho stayed at least 2 years at Porto, Inter and Chelsea.

To explain my choice of José Mourinho: he's managed a few big teams in United, Chelsea, Real Madrid (and Inter who could be included in that list) but also two weaker teams in Porto and Uniao De Leira. This means that I could stay at a few big clubs for the duration of the story but wouldn't get as many points as I would if I managed one of the weaker sides. On top of that, he's made some pretty big signings in his career and has signed quite a few players which could make this interesting with regens being so expensive in FM.

The next update will be my club choice and an introduction to the manager I've created in-game. I also thought I could start a leaderboard in case anyone decides to take on this challenge; there could be multiple leaderboards per manager chosen so a Mourinho leaderboard, Ancelotti leaderboard and so on.

Hope you all enjoy this new challenge, in my head it sounded really interesting and unique but I guess I'll have to see what the community's reaction is to it!

Last edited:

Meet the story's manager, Ricardo Marques. Much like José Mourinho, Marques used to be a professional footballer at national level but never got out of Portugal. He played for a handful of small clubs and had a few notable transfers here and there but again, his professional playing career just never took off. Now retired at 32 years old and with a few coaching licenses, the Portuguese man is looking to manage at a high level, just like his idol José Mourinho.

Ricardo is a manager who likes possession play, but also prides himself on his defensive ability as a coach. He loves a clean sheet and whilst he also enjoys some kind of attacking football, he much prefers when his team holds onto the ball, passing it around and waiting for an opportunity. The question now is, where will Marques start his career?

View attachment 42963
View attachment 42962
Where better to start than in his home country of Portugal, at his favourite club growing up? FC Porto is where our main character will start his managerial journey, as he will be looking to be the club's first league title winning manager since 2012/13 and Vitor Pereira, now the manager at Shanghai SIPG in China.

View attachment 42961
FC Porto are a club with undoubtedly a lot of history, with a big part of it written by José Mourinho. The expectations set by the board will be high but with one of the best sides in the Primeira Liga NOS, it should be a nice start to Marques' managerial career.

View attachment 42960
Marques
will feel perfectly at home at the Estádio do Dragão, where he will be greeted by some 50,000 fans on his first home game of the season on the 9th of August 2017.

Clearly, Ricardo Marques will have a tremendous squad at his disposal. On top of having some excellent quality right now, there are also some great youngsters in the youth teams of the club and a lot of talent out on loan as well. It should be a very interesting first season in charge for the Portuguese man.

This is the setup that Marques is rumoured to use over the course of next season. His explanation of it was simply this: one full-back, preferably with the better crossing ability, will be attacking and going up and down the wing. On that same side, there'll be a deep winger who can cover for the attacking full-back if needed and can attack when the team is in possession of the ball as well. The left-back will support attacks without getting out of his position too much, as the left inside forward can create chances and space on his own as he's put right next to an attacking midfielder in the middle who will be the main creator in the side. The two defensive midfielders are there to be used as centre-midfielders like in a 4-2-3-1, but their deep position mean that they can control the midfield from a deeper position and therefore protect the defence a little bit more. Finally, the target man up front is perfect for any of Porto current strikers as they all possess the physicality needed in that role and are all great in the air, hence the use of a target man up front.

View attachment 42919
Marques' Porto side will be travelling to Spain for their pre-season, which means not too much travelling and therefore less rest time, which should give the new manager a great opportunity to talk with his players about this new system, how to perform with it and more specifically how to do well with it. The next update will feature the pre-season results, as well as the manager's player of the pre-season and the schedule for the upcoming Primeira Liga NOS games.

OK, so I'm thinking about taking this on but I have a couple of questions first....

Do you have to manage EVERY side they've managed, or just choose between the teams they have managed for your own career? ie....could you potentially just stay at one club throughout the entire career?

Also, is the transfer budget based on what they spent at each individual club, or you just can't spend more than they did in their WHOLE career?

OK, so I'm thinking about taking this on but I have a couple of questions first....

Do you have to manage EVERY side they've managed, or just choose between the teams they have managed for your own career? ie....could you potentially just stay at one club throughout the entire career?

Also, is the transfer budget based on what they spent at each individual club, or you just can't spend more than they did in their WHOLE career?
For the transfer budget, you just can't spend more than what the manager has spent in their entire career yes! It means having to keep track of how much you spend each season which could be a little annoying I guess but can be quite easily done by just checking at the end of every season how much has been spent.

As for the clubs, I would say you can decide. Much like the rule about getting a better record than the chosen manager at the end of your career, you can choose to stay at one club throughout your career like Porto for example, but you will get extra points for managing each club (keep in mind that means staying at least 2 seasons at the club chosen).

Hope that helps! Let me know if you decide to take this on or not and I'll create a leaderboard!

For the transfer budget, you just can't spend more than what the manager has spent in their entire career yes! It means having to keep track of how much you spend each season which could be a little annoying I guess but can be quite easily done by just checking at the end of every season how much has been spent.

As for the clubs, I would say you can decide. Much like the rule about getting a better record than the chosen manager at the end of your career, you can choose to stay at one club throughout your career like Porto for example, but you will get extra points for managing each club (keep in mind that means staying at least 2 seasons at the club chosen).

Hope that helps! Let me know if you decide to take this on or not and I'll create a leaderboard!

I'm creating a story post of my own as we speak.....

I assume the 'signed players' doesn't include loanees or free transfers? Which would also lead to my next questions.....are loans and free transfers classed as 'allowed extras' on the game save?

I assume the 'signed players' doesn't include loanees or free transfers? Which would also lead to my next questions.....are loans and free transfers classed as 'allowed extras' on the game save?
To be honest, I have no idea if the signed players include frees and loans (took the data from transfermarkt and it doesn't specify) but I imagine they don't. For the sake of the story I'll exclude them from the "signed players", to make things a little bit easier when you take charge of a weaker team from the available ones.
In short, yes they're allowed extras! (but don't go TOO crazy with them either hahaha)

To be honest, I have no idea if the signed players include frees and loans (took the data from transfermarkt and it doesn't specify) but I imagine they don't. For the sake of the story I'll exclude them from the "signed players", to make things a little bit easier when you take charge of a weaker team from the available ones.
In short, yes they're allowed extras! (but don't go TOO crazy with them either hahaha)

Cool, my post is up and I'm doing the career of Claudio Ranieri....so now I guess you need to create me a points multiplier for the clubs he has managed?

Cool, my post is up and I'm doing the career of Claudio Ranieri....so now I guess you need to create me a points multiplier for the clubs he has managed?
I'm about to head out right now so can't at the moment but will be able to do so later today probably! You can have a look at the one I made for Mourinho though and get an idea of what the multiplier is for big teams and smaller teams :)

View attachment 42836

2017/18 pre-season

View attachment 42835
View attachment 42834
My first order of business as the new FC Porto manager was to go through the squad, look through the players and their contracts and offer anyone new ones. Two of our most important players are Spaniards in Iker Casillas (who needs no introduction) and Iván Marcano, who's been at the club for the last 3 years now. Both of them will be key in our quest to win the club's first Primeira Liga NOS title in 5 years.

View attachment 42833
This could very well be one of the main reasons why the club hasn't won a league title in so long. With so much debt, the transfer budget given to me is very minimal and on top of that, most of the revenue I will be able to make from player sales or just overall revenue throughout the season will go straight to the board so they can off the club's debts.

View attachment 42832
View attachment 42831
View attachment 42830
I let go of 3 different players around the same time in July. André André was surplus to requirements in the midfield and just didn't fit in with the way I want to play football at this club. For Paciência, it was more for him to get some game time as I couldn't see him play ahead of Aboubakar or Soares. Finally, my scouting team and based on what I've seen in training from Marega just wasn't good enough to me and considering I could get a decent fee for him, I decided to let him go.

View attachment 42829
We did suffer a bit of a blow just before the start of pre-season as Maxi Pereira got injured and will be out for at least a month and a half and will as a result miss the start of the season. I want to say he's a big loss but I just won't know until I've seen the team play to be honest. Ricardo Pereira is my first choice right-back so I don't think losing Maxi is that big a deal yet.

View attachment 42828
View attachment 42827
With about €6 million raised with the sales of Marega and André André, I had just enough to make our only signing of the window: Nikola Vukcevic. The Montenegrin from Braga comes in for just €2.5 million in what is likely a bargain deal for the club. We're weakening a title challenger in Braga and strengthening our own side, as I noticed that we lacked a proper deep-lying playmaker, a key role in the system I want to use at the club.

View attachment 42826
View attachment 42825
Our last piece of business this window came from two new departures. Hernâni doesn't have the quality to play here in my opinion, and some big players will want some game time this season that I just can't be giving to Hernâni instead of them. As for Oliveira, he was another player who was just surplus to requirements in midfield and selling him has freed up some wages and some money to add to the transfer budget as well.

View attachment 42824
View attachment 42823
Nikola received the player of the match in his first unofficial game for the club, which is a fantastic sign even in a pre-season game. The bad news came from Yacine Brahimi, who will be out injured for the next 2-3 weeks. This will keep him out for the remainder of the pre-season but he should be back for the start of the official season; hopefully. I guess this will end any interest from bigger European teams!

View attachment 42822
We're quite obviously the favourites for the title this year, although our winless run in terms of Liga NOS titles should have probably put Benfica ahead of us in the odds for the league title. I'm confident I can get this team to win the league though, as we have a huge amount of quality compared to most of the other teams in the division.

View attachment 42821
Unfortunately, the rest of our pre-season didn't really go to plan and we suffered two 1-0 defeats and drew 2-2 with Granada. All the games were away and the players had to adapt to a new signing, a new manager and a new system which can all be used as excuses for these bad results but ultimately, we have to do better. I've made that clear to the team and I just hope they'll keep that in mind as we head in the new season.

View attachment 42820
Braga are by far our toughest opponents in August and will be my first big test as the manager in Porto. I'm ready for it personally, I just hope the players are as well as we will hope to start the new season with 4 wins from our first 4 games.

Player of the pre-season

#22 Danilo Pereira
View attachment 42819View attachment 42818
Our 188cm and 83kg beast wins the player of the pre-season for me. He played in all 4 preparation matches and did quite well in most of them, earning a 7.0 average rating from the trip to Spain. I saw a couple of scouts from Liverpool and other big European sides earlier in the window as they were clearly looking to see what he was made of and if he would work in their respective sides but the interest has died down a little bit and Danilo looks like he'll be staying with us for a little bit longer.

View attachment 42800

August 2017

View attachment 42799
The board has some pretty big expectations for me in my first season in charge, wanting me to get out of our Champions League group, win the league and win the Taça de Portugal as well! It honestly is doable domestically as we have such a strong side, but we'll need better results than we got in pre-season. As for the Champions League, it'll all depend on who we get in our group.

View attachment 42798
View attachment 42797
Definitely not the start I wanted for my first game in charge. Felipe was excellent in defence and Vukcevic was pretty decent as well but no one turned up up front and that was our downfall. We kept possession, had chances but just couldn't put any of them away and that's hugely disappointing.

View attachment 42796
Now that's more like it! After a really disappointing second game in charge, our first big test against Braga and Jesús was the main man for us along with Aboubakar. What a huge result this is against the then-leaders of the Primeira Liga NOS.

View attachment 42795
A lot of our players have been called up to their national team for international duty in early September. Most of them are in the youth teams to be honest but we have a few senior players going as well. Other than Vukcevic, Brahimi and Pereira there's not really any key players though which is great because it'll allow me to train and practice with the other players to get them more accustomed to the new system.

View attachment 42794
The moment I was waiting for the whole month. The Champions League draw. I would say considering some of the teams in the 1st, 3rd and 4th seeds that we could've gotten, we have a really decent group! Dortmund are by far the best side in the group obviously, but I can definitely see us get wins against Basel and København if we play as well as we played against Braga for example.

View attachment 42793
Ricardo Pereira is by far one of our most important players and one of our better players, so to get him to sign a new contract is a relief. We have increased his wage by €20,000 a week, yes, but he's that important to the team. On top of that, we've also managed to get rid of his previously existing €37.5 million release clause, which is fantastic.

View attachment 42792
A huge blow in our last game of the month as our main striker Aboubakar got injured. We have Soares who can replace him for now but I definitely hope that Vincent won't get multiple long-term injuries like this throughout the season.

View attachment 42791
We clearly didn't get off to the best start this season but some good results against Braga and Feirense have definitely allowed the players and I to save face a little bit. I'm now hoping that with the Champions League coming around, we'll be a little more focused and will look to get better results in the league.

View attachment 42790
Next month will see us face Dortmund in our opening Champions League match, which should be interesting, but will also see us face our main title challengers for the first time in SL Benfica. They're obviously a great side and have started their season a lot better than we have so let's hope we'll get a good result, even away from home.

View attachment 42789
For my first managerial job, I'll take 5th after 4 games! We didn't have a good start at all so I can't help but wonder where we'd be right now if we had done well in those first 2 games.

Player of the month:

#17 Jesús Corona
View attachment 42788View attachment 42787

He might've just scored the one goal this month, but was fantastic in all the games he played. By far our best performer and I'm certainly hoping to see more good performances from him in my time here at the club.

View attachment 42712

September 2017

View attachment 42711
Our first bit of news this month is transfer related. In typical Porto fashion, we went fishing in Brazil for some great youngsters to make a hefty profit on and Richard is the man we chose. He's a centre attacking midfielder with a huge amount of potential and without anyone truly capable of playing in that position other than Óliver and Quintero (who's out on loan), so it's a great addition to the team. He'll arrive on the 1st of January 2018.

View attachment 42709
After Brahimi's injury earlier on in the season, I prayed that he wouldn't get another one yet here we are. It's a ligaments injury that'll keep him out until the last week of September at least, meaning he'll miss the incredibly important Dortmund game in the Champions League.

View attachment 42708
View attachment 42707
The LIGA Nos spending BIG, clearly, coming in as the 5th biggest spender in the world this summer. We only make up €2.5 million of that, with the €4 million from the Richard deal processing later this year. Overall a weirdly quiet window, especially in England where they usually spend over €1 billion but for some reason only spent just over €100 million this summer.

View attachment 42706
So far, so good? I guess? The board seems pretty happy about the atmosphere at the club right now and is somewhat happy with the tactics I'm using, but nothing exceptional yet. There's a long way to go though, and I'm confident I'll be able to bring up that trust and job security from the board in no time!

View attachment 42705

Some really good results over the course of the month. The draw against København is perhaps a little disappointing, but paired up with a draw against Dortmund doesn't make our Champions League start look too bad! On top of that, we also drew 1-1 with Benfica which is fantastic given our form at the start of the season.

View attachment 42704
My first official derby as the Porto manager and a huge win to celebrate the occasion! A fantastic performance from the man of the moment Corona was what gave us the win in the end, although a fabulous performance from Soares and a goal from Marcano helped as well.

View attachment 42703
View attachment 42702
A huge result for us to start off our Champions League campaign. Considering the fact that Dortmund are the best side we'll face in the group stages, I'm more than happy with that. I have to say though, I don't know what the bookies were on when they made the odds for the Champions League this season, but how we have 20-1 odds of winning the whole thing when Mourinho's United have just 18-1 I'll never know.

View attachment 42701
We might've been dominant in the Dortmund match and deserved the win, but the same can't be said about this game. Benfica were clearly the better side and whilst it was a tight game, I feel like they deserved to get all 3 points by the end of the match. Nevertheless, I'll take a point and move on against arguably our biggest title challengers this season!

View attachment 42700
Our second to last game of September was against København and I think the Danish side will come out feeling like they've just won the game here. They had just 2 shots on goal and scored one of them, while we missed a penalty. It was a very disappointing game overall but one that we'll need to just forget about and move on now.

#17 Jesús Corona

View attachment 42699View attachment 42698

Another set of impressive performances from our little Mexican magician sees him as my player of the month for September. He played in 6 games in total, 5 if remove the 45 minutes against Vitória and add the 45 minutes against Chaves but got 6 assists in total, incredibly enough. He's obviously starting to look like one of, if not our best, player this season so far and the other players in the squad should absolutely take example of him.

View attachment 42513

October 2017

View attachment 42512
It's a Porto player who wins the player of the month for September in the Liga NOS. A great set of performances from Soares, who replaced an injured Aboubakar, was enough to see him win it. With 6 goals in 5 appearances, he'll quite obviously be a very important for us in the near future if we're to win the league this season.

View attachment 42511
A big blow for us now as Ricardo Pereira gets injured. He's had a great start to the season and to lose him is a shame, but thankfully he'll only miss one game due to that injury since it's the international break right now.

View attachment 42510
Some confident performances from us this month. The two results against Basel definitely aren't as good as they could've been, but we've definitely put ourselves in a commanding position to make it out of the group. We did really well in the league as well with a win against the then-leaders and a draw against Sporting away from home.

View attachment 42509
By far our best result in October. Yet another world-class performance from Corona sees us take all 3 points against Basel ahead of our second game against them later this month. We were 2-0 up before they came back 2-2 but we did the job in the second half and that's what matters.

View attachment 42508
This was a huge game for us againt the leaders of the Liga NOS, and we did that job perfectly despite going down to 10 men after just 22 minutes. A huge performance from Pereira and goals from Aboubakar and Herrera were enough to see us continue our decent run of form in the league.

View attachment 42507
I wasn't overly satisfied with this result to be honest. We had such a dominant game throughout and just never managed to break their defence and get the one goal we would've needed for 3 points. Nevertheless, we stay in 2nd in the league which is great news.

View attachment 42506
Our last game in October wasn't the best. Much like in the Sporting match, we dominated throughout and this time actually scored in the 2nd minute but we unfortunately couldn't hold on to the 3 points and are now on 4 games, a win and 3 draws so far in the Champions League.

View attachment 42505
View attachment 42504
With the board setting high expectations of me for most of the competitions we're in, it's hard to focus on just one. Ideally, I would want to focus on the league since our club, FC Porto, haven't won it in so long but at the same time, the Champions League is very important too and I want to not only get to the next round but do our best then and see if we can exceed expectations. One thing's for sure, it's that we've done a great job in both competitions so far.

#17 Jesús Corona

24 years old
Right midfielder
Mexican

View attachment 42503View attachment 42502

And another player of the month for Corona! He's been in absolutely insane form since the start of the season and to be honest, we might lose him at the end of it if he keeps performing that way. I've already seen Emery, Guardiola and other big managers in the stands for our matches as they were scouting Jesús, Ricardo and Danilo. It would be a huge shame to lose them considering their huge presence in this team..

Last edited:
View attachment 42495

November 2017

View attachment 42494
November was a month full of injuries for us and a couple of bad news as well. Brahimi was the first injury of the month, making it his 3rd of the season since I joined the club...

View attachment 42493
More bad news as our backup right back is now out for another month and a half. He got a pretty serious injury not too long ago but again, as a 33-year old, this injury isn't making the situation any better. I might be looking to sign a new right-back in the January window if possible.

View attachment 42492
There's the worst news of November. Corona has been incredible for us so far and as I said in October, I kept seeing Unai Emery in the stands at the stadium and looking at Corona to sign him and after Jesús came to me wanting a move, I couldn't really keep him here. We'll be getting about £7 million for this transfer which is a decent fee but nothing considering his amazing form for us so far this season.

View attachment 42491
There's yet ANOTHER injury. We're going to really need a miracle to not lose points now with all these backup players and first team players getting injured. It's incredibly annoying to lose these really good players and I just hope, again, that we won't lose points because of it.

View attachment 42490
A new contract for Telles was one of the best things that have happened so far this season. PSG, Chelsea and Barcelona have all been scouting him recently as well and when he came to me requesting a new contract instead of asking for a move, I was delighted. On top of that, we've gotten rid of his previous release clause set at about £35 million I believe, which is also great news.

View attachment 42489
And yet another injury... The results part of the update is going to be half as short as the injuries! Vukcevic hasn't played THAT much in the last few games as Herrera wanted some game time but he's still an important part of this team so to lose him to injury is really disappointing.

View attachment 42488

A really good month overall. I admit, the draw against Rio Ave is incredibly disappointing but how about that win against Dortmund away from home?! Incredible result and incredible stuff from the players who have done a superb job this season so far after a tough pre-season.

View attachment 42487
View attachment 42486
This was the second bit of good news from this month and to be honest, it's the best news I've gotten all season! After a disappointing draw against Basel, we needed a good result against Dortmund to establish ourselves as the second best team in the group and I would've absolutely taken a draw, but no the players went and got a 5-0 win away from home instead! With that result, we jump to the top of the group and also qualify for the first knockout round! This could really turn out to be a great season.

View attachment 42485
Another great performance to end November, with a 4-0 win in a derby and in the cup. We're really starting to get to the heights and the level I've wanted this team to be at and I can't wait for us to keep performing this well and maybe win some silverware this season.

View attachment 42484
View attachment 42483
Sitting just 2 points behind Sporting who are leading the Primeira Liga NOS, things are looking good for us in the league! A tough start to the season with a few draws here and there meant that we lost some group in the title race but we're now back in it, although one slip up could see us go down to 7th so let's hope that doesn't happen. As for the Champions League, we've now reached the board's expectations by making it out of the group! Whether or not we finish top or 2nd will be up to us against København now, and whether we make it past the board's expectations will also be down to us (and also the draw for the next round).

#17 Jesús Corona
24 years old
Right midfielder
Mexican

View attachment 42482View attachment 42481

Jesús never seizes to amaze of course, as he gets another player of the month from me. It's really annoying to have to congratulate him on his form when he's already said he's leaving the club but oh well, I just hope someone steps up once he leaves. Hopefully Richard will come in January and do some damage!

View attachment 42302

December 2017

View attachment 42301
More injury news as our loanee Waris is now the one who is going to be out for the next few weeks. He's not really played much and hasn't been great anyway so I can't say it's a big loss, but it's never nice to lose a player to injury.

View attachment 42300
More bad injury news as it's Óliver now who's going to be out injured. Our promising attacking midfielder has, unlike Waris, been a key part of the team and it really is a huge loss. We have Richard coming in January of course, which is great news, but Óliver is a great player who will be hugely missed.

View attachment 42299
Ugh, yet another important player leaves the club. The 27-year old Herrera didn't get much game time at the start of the season and when I gave him some later on, he still wasn't satisfied and asked for a move away from the club. City were the ones who were willing to sign him and there he goes.

View attachment 42298
Herrera's replacement? A defensive midfielder who's got a lot of talent and potential by the name of Danilo. Much like the Vukcevic signing earlier this season, it weakens a title rival and strengthens us so it's a great deal! For just €3 million as well, what a steal.

View attachment 42297

It's been another great month at Porto in December. Just 2 goals conceded in 7 games and as many as 17 goals scored and some great victories along the way. On top of that, we got a 1-0 win against København meaning we'll finish first in the Champions League group and go through to play a second-place team from any of the groups!

View attachment 42296
View attachment 42295
View attachment 42294
Dortmund's 5-0 defeat at home against us has proven to be very, VERY costly for them as they come crashing out of the Champions League to Basel! The Swiss side go through to the next round in 2nd place in the group, as we win the group and get drawn against Ajax for the first knockout round! Same goes for Ajax, I don't know how they got out of their group but here they are in the next round and I can honestly see us with a huge chance of going through to the Champions League quarter-finals!

View attachment 42293
View attachment 42292
My tenure as manager of this club is turning out to be better and better. A 3-0 win against a tough opponent in Braga and a record broken as well! The Taça de Portugal Placard is ours to lose now after such a great performance. We'll have to beat a couple of big teams to get to the final, including the likes of Sporting but I'm confident we can get there.

View attachment 42291
Our title race continues with Sporting, as Benfica are close behind. It's been a great season in the league so far but the goal is to win the league so this is not acceptable at all.

#22 Danilo Pereira
26 years old
Defensive midfielder
Portuguese

View attachment 42290View attachment 42289

Arguably the best player at the club, it'll be really tough to keep him here in January. I'll do my best but I can already see and hear the big teams knocking on our door to steal him away from us. He was fantastic this month and gets my player of the month, finally someone who isn't Jesús Corona!

View attachment 42288

January 2018

View attachment 42287

Diego Reyes' contract was expiring at the end of the season. I don't know if I want to keep him here next season if I stay here (as my contract hasn't been extended yet), but I'd rather get a little money for him in the summer than lose him for free.

View attachment 42286
With Herrera's departure, Marcano has been named the new captain of the club. His contract was also expiring at the end of this season when I joined the club, but I immediately got him to sign a new one knowing how important he would be for the team and there is now, the new club captain.

View attachment 42285
It's now our club's top goalscorer's turn to get injured. Most of the injured players have come back from injury but now he's going to be out for a month and a half. An absolute shame considering his form, but thankfully we have Aboubakar who can now step in and score goals instead.

View attachment 42284

Well, I guess the calendar kind of spoils the Taça da Liga CTT results and it's obviously a great one! As you can also see, Richard has had a fantastic start to his FC Porto career!

View attachment 42283
Our second defeat of the season was an awful one. We managed to beat Braga every time we faced them, but today just wasn't the day. We dominated the game but just couldn't find the back of the net unfortunately, and that's put a big question mark on our title race.

View attachment 42282
Sporting are the current league leaders so having to beat them to get to the final of the Taça da Liga CTT was always going to be tough but some huge performances from Óliver now back from injury and Aboubakar have allowed us our first opportunity for some silverware this season.

View attachment 42281
And there's our silverware! We waited until the 83rd minute to score our equaliser but it was enough to see us go all the way to penalties and win the trophy then! I had promised Ricardo and Danilo Pereira silverware this season to convince them to stay and we have some, so they've already come to me saying they're happy to stay here which is huge! All month long I've had to reject offers for Brahimi, Danilo and Ricardo so for them to come and tell me they're staying is a huge relief.

View attachment 42280
As I said previously, that defeat to Braga has really harmed our chances at the title this season but we are "only" 5 points behind. With Benfica so close behind us though, there is literally no room for error now. We have to win the league this season if I'm going to keep my job here, and I really hope I can win this club the league.

#21 Ricardo Pereira
24 years old
Right back
Portuguese
View attachment 42279View attachment 42278

As we weren't able to sign a replacement right midfielder since Corona's departure, it looks like Ricardo is going to have to play there now! To be fair to him, it was his second best performance of the month when he played there so he can quite obviously do damage there. With Maxi Pereira being so fragile, I've decided to bring in Diogo Dalot from Porto B to play as our right back for the rest of the season. He's got huge potential and is just 18 years old so has plenty of time to develop and playing right behind Ricardo Pereira should allow him to really excel.

View attachment 42276

February 2018

View attachment 42275

View attachment 42274
I'm honestly starting to feel a little left out here with all the players signing new contracts! Out of literally most people at the club, I'm one of the only people who hasn't signed a new contract yet! Nevertheless, Felipe and Vukcevic are great extensions to have at the club and I'm glad we didn't have to increase their wages too much either.

View attachment 42273
More positive news as Óliver came out of my office having signed a new contract himself. Even though I would love one of those myself, I'm also more than happy that I can share these kinds of news with you and not injury news!

View attachment 42272
Danilo and Ricardo Pereira both continue their amazing form as they're both in the standings for the player of the month in the Liga NOS. I've been really happy with them and to see them perform so well after they've assured me they're staying at the club is incredible.

View attachment 42271
As for myself, I get my second manager of the month award after winning it in December. We've been on a great run ever since that tough start in August and it's great to see the players doing so well. I just hope the board thinks I deserve a new contract at the end of the season!

View attachment 42270

In the league, things are still going really well. With a goal conceded and 11 scored in 3 games, we're looking incredible. As for the Taça de Portugal Placard, we're in the semi-final and have taken a big step towards the final by winning the first leg 1-0. The Champions League is the worrying part though.

View attachment 42269
The first game to highlight this month was quite obviously our Champions League 1st knockout round first leg and well, it didn't go according to plan. A 0-0 draw would've been bad enough as we wouldn't have scored an away goal but a 1-0 defeat is even worse. Ajax might only have a one goal advantage but in football, that's enough to take you very, VERY far.

View attachment 42268
Our second game to highlight was our second largest win of the month and it was thanks to Danilo. A great win against a good Paços de Ferreira side allows us to continue our chase of Sporting for the Primeira Liga NOS title.

View attachment 42267
The final game I decided to highlight was our cup semi-final against Rio Ave. They're not a bad team at all, but they're also not the best. I guess we can be thankful for that since we were playing with 10-men for almost an hour and they didn't manage to score an equaliser or come close to it! Benfica drew 0-0 in their semi-final so both second legs could go either way.

View attachment 42259
There's technically 10 games left this season. 11 for us as we have a game in hand and a win in that game would put us 5 points behind Sporting. We're yet to face Sporting AND Benfica in this second half of the season so it's going to be all up to us to beat Sporting to the title I think.

#28 Felipe
28 years old
Centre back
Brazilian

View attachment 42248View attachment 42246

The Felipe-Marcano defensive partnership at the back has been nothing short of exceptional all season, which is why it's about time one of them got my player of the month. With a goal and some incredible performances in 5 games, he more than deserves this award and I'm so happy that he finally is getting some recognition for the amazing work he's put in since the start of the season.

View attachment 42231

March 2018

View attachment 42230
Still no new contract on the horizon for me, despite just winning the Best Portuguese Manager of the Year award! I even requested a new contract after I received the award, and the board still said my performances hadn't been good enough yet... Alright then!

View attachment 42229
In a month packed with intense and very important matches, Soares signing a new contract was the only other bit of news that came from my office. He's been one of the club's top goalscorers this season so it's great to get him to extend his stay here. Hopefully his great form will continue until the end of the season!

View attachment 42228

I warned you when I said this month was packed with huge games! We dropped points against Belenenses, Chaves and Vitória but won against Sporting and Benfica to keep our title chase alive. We're still a long way away but if Sporting slip up, we could definitely win the title. Oh, and as you've noticed, we're through to the Champions League quarter-final after an incredible second leg comeback!

View attachment 42227
Another world-class performance from Ricardo Pereira as we bounce back from going a goal down inside the first 5 minutes to claim all 3 points in our stadium. This was a huge game that we absolutely needed to win if we were going to keep chasing Sporting for the league title and we've done that.

View attachment 42226
View attachment 42225
Well, well, well, we meet again! How Basel have gotten past Napoli and into the quarter-finals of the Champions League, I'll never know. One thing's for sure, we played them in the group stages and know what to expect so it could either be a really easy tie, or we'll be surprised and lose to the Swiss side. Our second leg performance against Ajax was what got us in the Champions League quarter-final for the club's first time since 2014-15 when they were knocked out by Bayern who lost to Barcelona in the semi-finals.

View attachment 42224
This was of course the last game to highlight this month and what a game it was. We played really well in the first half and I thought we had it in the bag at half-time. Big mistake on my part since they scored straight after the start of the half but Danilo Pereira was our saviour as he scored a goal late in the second half to give us all 3 points against Sporting. Where does that leave us in the league and the title race then?

View attachment 42223
It leaves us in a pretty decent position. Benfica have a game in hand and if they win, they would still be 4 points clear. At this point in the season however, we have 6 games left and we can't be thinking "oh we have a small margin of error for 2nd place since Benfica would be 4 points behind". We're 7 points behind Sporting and we'll need a miracle to go and overtake them now.

#22 Danilo Pereira
26 years old
Defensive midfielder
Portuguese

View attachment 42222View attachment 42221

Another great set of performances from Danilo earn him my player of the month for the second time this season. He couldn't play against Vitória and we lost. It might just be a coincidence, but he's been instrumental to this team's success so I wouldn't be surprised if we played the match again with him in the team and won. Nevertheless, he scored 4 goals from 5 games as a defensive midfielder which is quite incredible, and I hope he'll do that again against Basel in the Champions League!

View attachment 42212

April 2018

View attachment 42211
Oh dear... With no actual left-back in the team to replace Telles, Marcano is going to have to play there while Alex is out. If he performs then I guess I don't mind, but it's absolutely not ideal after playing a frustrating first leg of Champions League football against Basel.

View attachment 42210
Finally!!! After a long season with a lot of hard work, I finally get rewarded for my efforts. Coming in as a completely unknown manager made it really hard for me to relate with the players and get them to fully support me but after the season we've just had and continue to have, I hope I can create a great legacy here.

View attachment 42209
Yet another injury and again, it's an injury for one of our best players. If this had happened in the middle of the season, I don't think I would mind as much but considering this is at such a crucial time in our season, it's hugely disappointing.

View attachment 42208
View attachment 42184
Just when our right-back prodigy was starting to pick up form and look really good just behind Ricardo Pereira, he picks up a long-term injury. It's a huge blow just like the two previous injuries and I'm just praying that it won't impact our Champions League and Primeira Liga NOS campaigns too much. Otávio also picked up an injury which is a huge shame as he was, with Richard, our attacking midfielder to replace the injured Óliver.

View attachment 42183
View attachment 42181
You've got to be kidding me right? Is this the FM mode where you pick a challenge and the challenge is that all your first team players get injured and you need to get wins with other players? It certainly feels like that... We've picked up a total of 6 injuries in the space of a month, with two of those happening to the same player! Diogo Costa is going to be the Porto B keeper that I've called upon to replace Casillas. He's got a decent amount of quality for right now and can develop really quickly by getting first team games now as well. As for Telles, it's Marcano going back to left-back again!

View attachment 42180

A lot of good news, and a few bad ones as well. The good news is, we're in the Champions League semi-final!!! How about that for an achievement? The bad news, we're 2-1 down after the first leg and also we dropped points in the league despite gaining some in late April when we beat Sporting... One step forward, two steps backwards...

View attachment 42179
Oh boy was I worried after this game. Basel worked so hard to not concede and they didn't and went on to win 1-0 with just 3 shots on goal the whole game, taking an away goal back to Switzerland for leg 2. A quarter-final exit would be an achievement for Porto anyway but considering the "favourable" route we were given, we needed to do better.

View attachment 42178
What a win we got in the second leg. Vincent Aboubakar has had his moments this season and on this cloudy night in Basel, he had one of those moments by scoring an 81st minute goal which gave us a 2-0 lead and a 2-1 lead on aggregate to put us through to the Champions League semi-final. We could face one of Monaco, Barcelona or (somehow) Besiktas.

View attachment 42177
Another significant game this month was the Taça de Portugal Placard semi-final second leg, after we beat Rio Ave 1-0 at home in the first leg. A 2-1 win away put us through to the final where we'll be playing GD Chaves, who beat Benfica on penalties! Could we do the domestic cup double?

View attachment 42176
Despite losing both Casillas and Telles for the second leg, here we are in the Champions League semi-final having to win just 1-0 at home in the second leg to go through to the club's first Champions League final since 2003/04, when the great José Mourinho won the competition with this club!

View attachment 42175
Sporting have a game in hand and lead by 4 points. With just 2 games left this season, I think it wouldn't be wrong to say that we're not winning the league this season. Sporting do have one of their 2 games against Benfica but I just can't see them dropping enough points to see us win the league. It's been a great campaign in the league but ultimately we just dropped too many points and don't have enough depth in the team.

#21 Ricardo Pereira
24 years old
Right back/right midfielder
Portuguese

View attachment 42174View attachment 42173
What a great month for our best player this season: Ricardo Pereira. I know at the end of the season his value will most likely double and we'll be able to get a lot of money for him, but I just don't want to imagine my life at this club without him. He played incredibly well throughout the whole year as a right back and now right midfielder and I just hope he decides to stay here in the long-term!

View attachment 42164

May 2018

View attachment 42163
There goes our league title dream then! We won't be winning it this season, but with surely a larger transfer budget for next season and some great performances as well, we'll obviously be one of the teams challenging for the title. Sporting won their game in hand which was why they went and won the title with 2 games to spare. Fair play to them.

View attachment 42162

Our Champions League also came crashing down as we drew 1-1 in the second leg of our Champions League semi-final, meaning Monaco will go on and face FC Barcelona in the final! We'll be cheering Monaco on of course, as they beat us I guess it would make it more bearable if they ended up winning the whole thing right? As for the league, by the time we played those games Sporting had already won the title so it didn't really matter. We did win our second domestic trophy of the season though against GD Chaves!

View attachment 42161
We did so well to get all the way to the semi-final and I couldn't be prouder of the players. We played with a greatly weakened team but still somehow did so well against Monaco and they do deserve to go through at the end of the day, but it's really promising to see us getting so far under my tenure already (although the draw was pretty favourable to say the least!).

View attachment 42158
View attachment 42156
Right after our match against Desportivo das Aves, we heard the news that Benfica drew their match as well which officially qualified us for next season's Champions League! It's fantastic news as it means we secured a top two finish in the Liga NOS and we can now fully focus on next season and making sure that we have depth, and quality in the team as well. As for the budget I'll have for those reinforcements, the board have given me €20 million. Obviously, this could increase massively if we sold some big players and we're going to get a LOT of players back from loans as well that we can also sell if need be.

View attachment 42155
View attachment 42154
Our last league game of the season saw us disappointingly draw 0-0 with Estoril, who are 16th in the table. Speaking of, here is the final one above. We really did have a great season but just missed out on too many points at the end of the day. We do really need to improve up front though and score more goals in the future if we're to rival with Sporting for the title next season, since defensively we're obviously by far the best team in the league!

View attachment 42153
And there was our second cup win of the season. We clearly took a while to score the final goal and how fitting that it would be Soares, who had such a good season up until the last 10 games or so where he just didn't score, to score the winner. A great win but an expected since Benfica and Sporting weren't in the competition anymore.

View attachment 42152
View attachment 42151
View attachment 42150
And there's our season review. I'll be honest, I don't think we played badly at all! Yes we didn't win the league like the media predicted us to and like the board wanted us to, but we won both the domestic cups and went all the way to the Champions League semi-final as well, a first for a Portuguese team since God knows how long. It honestly has been a very good year and I'm really happy with the signings we made and how they played and now I just can't wait for next season to see how things go, because it could really be a great year for us if we replicate our good Champions League form and stop dropping points in the league as well!

StatisticsJosé MourinhoRicardo Marques
Total games79458
Wins51834
Draws15714
Defeats1197
Win percentage65%63%
Total transfer expenditure€1.5 billion€9.5 million
Total players bought1023
UEFA Champions League20
UEFA Europa League20
Primeira Liga NOS20
Taça de Portugal Placard20
La Liga10
Copa del Rey
Supercopa de España10
Premier League30
FA Cup10
Carabao Cup40
Community Shield20
Serie A20
TIM Cup10
Supercoppa TIM10

Still a long, LONG way to go before I ever reach Mourinho's level of success. He's just won another Premier League with United (not counted in the total of course) and with 736 games left in my career to get all the trophies that José has won, I'm going to need a lot of work and help. Porto was the perfect club to start at but I'll soon have to move away and try to win other trophies if I'm ever going to be as successful as the man himself.

Last edited: