The Ballad of Charlie McGhee – 2nd Stanza

Yeti01

Reaction score

View attachment 216070

Prologue

The offshore wind that had made this morning’s surf so good whipped Charlie’s hair as he sat on his beach towel, board beside him, catching his breath after a decent session. He watched on as a couple more surfers exited the water at Newy beach and trundled up the sand as they made their way to the cars before heading home to get ready for work.

Despite not being very ‘new age’ at all this seemed like one of the best opportunities Charlie had ever experienced for some meditation. As he closed his eyes he became more observant of the sounds and smells around him. To his left he could hear some swimmers paddling in the Newcastle Ocean Baths and the tropical, almost ‘coconutty’ smell of his sunscreen filled his nostrils as he lay back on the towel and thought about the last 20 years.

It didn’t seem all that long ago that a much younger Charlie was being driven home in the back of a police car. It was that act that led his mother sending Charlie to live with his estranged father in Peterhead, Scotland. Such a move felt incredibly daunting at the time but Charlie’s love of football soon became his outlet as he eventually wound up on the books of local Scottish League 1 side Peterhead.

News had quickly spread of the young 16 year old Aussie left winger flying around in the lower leagues of Scotland and a host of teams sent scouts to observe the young talent but very quickly a front runner emerged for his signature. Marseille were chasing him the hardest and that is where he would spend the next 5 years. Although not featuring much McGhee developed reasonably well after being tutored but by the time his 6th season as a professional rolled around McGhee knew his future lay elsewhere and he signed with Ligue 2 side SC Bastia.

That began one of the better stretches of McGhee’s career as he would feature regularly for Bastia and earn a call up to the Australian national team – scoring on his debut against Liechtenstein. 4 years later, at age 26, Charlie decided a change was in order and declined Bastia’s offer of a new contract. 6 months passed before McGhee signed for English Championship side Leeds United.

McGhee enjoyed a mixed spell at Leeds and his time there was more notable for what McGhee achieved at international level, playing with the Socceroos at the World Cup before being part of the side that won the Asian Cup where he played well enough to be named in the team of the tournament.

As McGhee’s contract with Leeds wore down it was clear that both sides saw it in their interests to move on. McGhee, then aged 30, signed a contract with Al-Arabi of Qatar. Despite being on big money McGhee never really settled in Qatar and only spent 18 months there before signing with Melbourne Victory of the A-League. This appeared to be a signal for the end of McGhee’s career but what began was his most fruitful stretch.

Appearing in another World Cup and Asian Cup for the Socceroos, McGhee would go on to represent the green and gold a total of 64 times before calling time on his career. With the Victory he would experience the success in club competitions that had eluded him to date, winning the A-League Premiers Plate and the FFA Cup as well as featuring multiple times in the Asian Champions League. Desperate to play in 3 World Cups McGhee played on until he was 36 years old but when he failed to make the squad for that 3rd and final World Cup he knew that was it and then turned his hand to management where he was appointed as manager of the Newcastle Jets of the Australian A-League.

Returning to the present McGhee got lost in the crashing of the waves - as he lay there, motionless, the rumble of the surf began to resemble the roar of the crowd. To his left he imagined the Don Revie stand at Elland Road, behind him was Bay 13 of the MCG and to his right was Olympic Boulevard end of AAMI park - all packed with screaming fans cheering him on. In front of him though was the West Grandstand at Hunter Stadium, home of the Jets. No noise was coming from there yet.

Snapping out of it McGhee sat bolt upright. ‘Time to fix that then’ he thought to himself as he hurriedly made his way up the beach and to his unit on Flagstaff Hill, preparing himself mentally for his first day on the job as manager of the Jets.

Last edited:
View attachment 216063

Newcastle Jets State of Affairs

Season 14/15 wasn’t very kind on the Newcastle Jets. There is a reason someone as relatively new to the managerial scene was appointed manager – the Jets had finished last, dead last, and had the worst goal difference in the league.

View attachment 216061

To top that all off in May 2015 the Football Federation Australia terminated owner Nathan Tinkler’s license to run the club after it failed to settle debts and experienced player payment issues. On 26 May, Football Federation Australia performed a review of the coaching setup at the Newcastle Jets that resulted in the termination of manager Phil Stubbins’ contract, along with those of his coaching staff.

Since then there has also been significant player turnover and the club appears to have the quality to start is drive back up the table. The main stars are now Socceroos fullback David Carney, who will be expected to marshal the defense, whilst former Ajax and Feyenoord star winger Leonardo and Serbian striker Milos Trifunovic are expected to provide the goals.

View attachment 216059
View attachment 216058
View attachment 216057

The club plays its games at the 33,000 capacity Hunter Stadium so there is no issue with the quality of the facilities. It is now up to the coaching staff and players to perform as the fan's expectations have been raised for season 2015/16.

In a similar vein to Mask’s Darren Trott save (It’s already seriously good, check it out – http://www.fm-base.co.uk/forum/foot.../349914-darren-trotts-managerial-journey.html) this is a continuation of a BAP save I did for FM15. I plan on taking the tendencies I noticed throughout the BAP save and incorporating them, and anything else there is to be gleaned from the information provided at the end of the save, and using them where it seems most appropriate throughout the save.

I think this should be plenty different from Mask’s save as he is starting in the lower leagues in England whilst I am starting all the way over in Oz! I plan on trying to manage a couple of sides I played for throughout my career and my end goal is to one day be manager of the Socceroos.

If you would like please feel free to go back and read over Charlie’s playing career (http://www.fm-base.co.uk/forum/foot...ger-stories/298781-ballad-charlie-mcghee.html). It’s probably been the most emotional I’ve felt about a FM save so I’m looking forward to seeing how his managerial career plays out.

I’m not setting any particular rules around this game other than trying my best to stay true to the Charlie McGhee that developed throughout my BAP story. So without further ado, time to introduce the new, and maybe improved, Charlie McGhee!

Charlie McGhee Profile

I saw in Lippo’s http://www.fm-base.co.uk/forum/foot...s/349903-liverpool-sucks-everton-journey.html story he wasn’t much for the “role-playing” aspect but as I was going through this I realised I am going the complete opposite way! Although I don’t care all that much for his appearance either in terms of stats and tendencies I am going all in when it comes to behaviors.

Well here is Charlie’s avatar. He seems a decent enough bloke.

View attachment 216049

Here is Charlie’s Staff Attributes page from the end of his playing career that I have replicated wherever possible when creating the manager.

View attachment 216048

Key takeaways for Charlie the manager are;

Attributes: Given his highest mental values are Determination, Adaptability and Discipline I picture Charlie as a guy who is flexible enough in his approach (adaptability) to do whatever needs to be done in order to win (determination) – that is, he is ok changing his own preferences, to a point, in order to win. This doesn’t flow down to his treatment of the playing group though as he likes them to behave and carry out his orders (discipline). He will listen to his backroom staff on tactical matters but prefers to have the final say however he will defer to them totally for motivating the team and also on all scouting and injury related matters so that side of things will be handled exclusively by the backroom staff.

Formation: 4-4-2 Diamond Wide is Charlie’s preferred formation showing a preference for playing with an attacking and defensive midfielder and also, where possible, 2 up front. Will stick with this style as Charlie’s default but if the personnel isn’t there for this formation will have the flexibility to go to either a 4-4-2 Diamond Narrow, 4-4-2, or one striker system incorporating a DM and AM.

Style/Mentality: Looks to me to be a classic counter strategy even if the mentality is ‘adventurous’. High pressing/quick countering appear to be the order of the day. Will also look then to incorporate some pace into the squad to take advantage of the ‘long’ playing style preferred by Charlie.

Next is Charlie’s Personal Information screens.

View attachment 216046
View attachment 216045

Favoured Clubs/Personnel: I am unsure if, in terms of reputation, Peterhead are actually higher than Newcastle Jets so it will be interesting to see if he gets a chance to manage there. A ‘nice’ career arc might be if he manages in the A-League for a bit and then uses Peterhead, even if it is a step down, as a place to establish a managerial foothold in Europe.

Agree with the “Favoured Personnel” for the most part, Morel is slightly a surprise inclusion based on how I interpreted his decisions and interactions in the BAP story but happy to go with it. Am also going to be mindful of Josh Brilliante, Slaven Bilic, Lucas Neill and Ian Ferguson and mentally add them to Charlie’s favoured list thanks to their positive contributions in his playing career.

On the flip side I have already started Charlie’s “disliked list”. Paul Okon, Jocelyn Gourvennec, Danny Guthrie, Tariq Fosu and Davide Petermann will be in the firing line for some pre match comments should I ever face them.

In terms of Clubs I am going to rule out managing all Qatari clubs on the basis of McGhee’s poor experience with Al-Arabi.

Personality: Media Friendly and Ambitious fit what I saw during the playing career Charlie had. So that means attending every news conference and also not staying on a job too long so signing 2-3 year maximum contracts.

Tendencies: Obviously happy with the “signs Youth Players for First team”. As such the majority of Charlie’s purchases for the first team will be 23 or under (using Passion4FM’s philosophy guide to direct here) and will extrapolate that out to mean that Charlie will look for backroom staff who have a reasonably high ‘working with youngsters’ rating.

Knowledge/Languages: From these I am going to infer that Charlie would prefer where possible to sign a player from (ideally) a country that he played in or, if that isn’t necessarily possible, then a player whose first language is either English, French or Arabic so plenty of options still.

Other General Takeaways

Charlie suffered a lot throughout his career from Managers who didn’t utilize him as much as he would have like. As such he is more receptive than most when players express their concerns about playing time and if that happens he will do his best to provide more time or allow them to move on the in next available transfer window so that they can get their wish of 1st team football.

Also Charlie was quite injury prone so he will be more than happy to stick by a player who suffers from more than their fair share of injuries.

Charlie also looked to have always represented his country at every available opportunity – he will not place any restrictions on his players who are fortunate enough to be called up by their country at any level.

And that’s pretty much it – I’ve read back over the BAP a couple of times to refresh certain aspects of it in my mind so hopefully I can bring through all the relevant bits. Time to get started then.

Last edited:
Should be good will follow. Enjoyed all your stories so looking forward to it

View attachment 216044

6 July 2015

McGhee arrived at Ray Watt Oval, the Newcastle Jets training base and was immediately greeted by the interim Managing Director David Eland at the front gate – evidently he had been waiting for him. Eland had been appointed by the Football Federation Australia (FFA) after they resumed the club’s license in the wake of the Tinkler disaster. As he went to say hello and shake Charlie’s hand Eland’s phone buzzed.

“Hello,”

“Er, yeah. The season ticket pricing. Um, what was it last season??”

“$250 per adult? In all stands?”

“Ok – err… ummm….. yeah lets just go with that again.”

“Sorry about that,” he offered as he hung up and grasped McGhee’s hand. ‘This guy doesn’t seem like he knows what he is doing!!’ McGhee thought to himself as he shook back. ‘And I’m his first public appointment – god I hope I’m up to it.’ “That’s all good, happy to be here.” McGhee offered back.

“Right, lets go and met the staff.” Eland said and as they walked towards the group Charlie realised some of the pre appointed staff he already knew. He could see JP – Jean-Paul Di Marigny and James Pascoe who had both spent a bit of time around the Socceroos set up when Charlie was involved and he also recognized Clayton Zane the former Socceroo striker, although they had never played in the Green and Gold together, from when Zane was caretaker coach of the Jets.

View attachment 216041

“I believe you’re already acquainted with JP and James,” he offered, gesturing across the group. “The others are Clayton Zane our youth coach, Jess Van Stratton our ‘keeping coach and our physio Justin Dougherty.” “Pleasure gentleman,” Charlie said, shaking each hand in turn.

Assistant Coach JP then stepped up, “right, lets go meet the boys then.” Leading the group over to the players who were stretching in a circle. “Guys here’s the new boss. All of you will know Charlie McGhee, he’s here to take us to the title!” “Haha, no pressure then!” McGhee lightened the mood, “Now guys, last year wasn’t the best – lets not kid ourselves. But I’m positive we can start working our way back up the table with the group we have. Let’s get to work!” And with that JP and Gary took the team off to start drills.

McGhee started thinking to himself about the captaincy as he surveyed the scene in front of him and quickly settled on Boogard and Poljak as the obvious candidates. They were two who already looked like they be some of the first names on the teamsheet and they are clearly two of the guys the entire team look up to.

The remainder of the session Charlie spent thinking about a potential system and first team. He’d asked JP to arrange an intra-squad friendly for training tomorrow and was wanting to start developing the system and combinations he was hoping would make the team competitive both in the A League and the FFA Cup.

View attachment 216039

Kennedy, Ki-Je, Boogard, Mullen, Kantarovski and Poljak are obvious ones as the back “6”,’ he thought to himself. 'In front though, that’s the question… I do have quality through the middle as I can have Poljac, Alivodic and Carney out wide with Leonardo pulling the strings from the attacking mid spot in a wide diamond. Then Haliti and Trifunović up front. Gold.

View attachment 216037

The rest of the day went along pretty well. At the end of the day McGhee got JP to round up the playing group and they had a frank and robust team meeting where Charlie laid out his expectations for the season.

View attachment 216036

The meeting went well and soon enough McGhee sent them all away for the day. “I hope you’re all ready for tomorrow. It should go without saying that you are playing for places.”

Last edited:
Looking good mate, you've clearly put a lot of thought into this. Cant wait to see how Charlie gets on in the A-League!

View attachment 215836

30 July 2015 - Intra-squad Friendly and Early Days

Charlie oversaw the intra-squad friendly on 6 July. As the pre-season friendlies didn't actually start until early October it served as a good introduction to the side as well as highlighting potential areas for strengthening. One of the obvious early issues was the strike pairing. Simply put Trifunovic and Haliti were proving to be too similar. The first team won the friendly 3 nil but far tougher propositions await.

View attachment 215835

Late in July McGhee gathered the coaching staff and they discussed squad shortcomings. Prior to the meeting he had asked all the coaches to put together a list of potential signings for discussion. JP started the meeting off, "Pedj Bojic is still floating around and he's always been solid at the A league level. I suggest we bring him in for a look."

"Great idea," McGhee agreed.

JP continued, "Now I know this next one is a bit of a long shot but what about Nikola Zigic? He would terrorize the A league!"

"What his wage demands?" McGhee countered. "Yeah, pretty high," JP conceded. "We might have to pass there then." McGhee stated forlornly.

"The striker we need is already here." Zane added matter of factly. Crowley from the NYL side is ready to step up - give him a chance in preseason and see how he goes.

"Righto, done." McGhee smiled. "I think that just about finalises the squad for preseason, keep your eyes about for any potential signings though and let me know if you see anything.

View attachment 215834

The meeting ended and a couple of days later Ben Kennedy, the long serving Jets goalkeeper approached McGhee. It has been apparent that Birighitti has passed Kennedy for first choice and Kennedy was wanting to move one. McGhee agreed that he could use the new challenge and put him on the transfer list.

View attachment 215833

View attachment 215402

14 August 2015 - Cup Dreaming Begins Now

Relaxing at his desk Charlie's mind began to look forward to the upcoming FFA Cup 1st Round tie against Wellington Pheonix that would serve as the first competitive fixure of his tenure with the Jets. Following the intra-squad friendly McGhee had knuckled down with the coaching staff and tried to impose on the squad the system he wanted them to play. They seemed to be picking it up pretty well and had a decent result in the hastily arranged friendly against nearby club Broadmeadow Magic in preparation for the 'Nix' game.

View attachment 215397

Newcastle had run out 2 nil victors but their play had been particularly pleasing. Probably the player who impressed the most was young 18 year old striker Braedyn Crowley who, operating as a poacher running off the targetman Trifunovic's shoulder, had caused the Magic defense all kinds of trouble and he got on the scoresheet.

View attachment 215410

McGhee, realising Crowley will be instrumental to how the squad performed, recently had a chat with the young man explaining that he best bet for being a quality professional was to focus on improving his pace and acceleration so that he differentiated himself and has now set that as a training focus and has also asked Trifunovic to take the young man under his wing in an effort to build that strike partnership.

View attachment 215404

View attachment 215403

Now it was time to get ready for the Pheonix. They have a quality squad with the pacey Fijian striker Roy Krishna and former Eredivise players Sarpong and Bonevacia sure to feature.

View attachment 215398

View attachment 215336

19 August 2015 - Well that could have gone better...

McGhee wasn't angry, just disappointed. As he stood in the sheds allowing JP to take the post match team talk his mind was filled with thought of how things could be improved. Despite the scoreline 'only' being 4-2 they had been well and truly flogged here.

The shots and possession stats show the real story. In the middle of the park Leonardo and Poljak struggled to keep possession all game. 'Maybe I'l asking a bit too much too early of the guys...' He thought to himself. 'Lets dumb it down a little, they need to get used to playing together before I can ask them to implement a reasonably different system. Walk before they run...'

The game had actually started really well. A well-worked move in the 15th minute resulted in Ki-Je swinging in a cross that Crowley laid off with his first touch for Trifunovic to slam home. From there though the visitors began to dominate and quickly worked their way to a three goal lead.

Crowley dragged a goal back in the 55th minute but after that the Jets had failed to really trouble the Phoenix and they deservedly grabbed their fourth in injury time.

'Lets not forget they've been together a lot longer than we have and they were much fitter here," McGhee thought to himself and he was right. Wellington clearly had more familiarity with their system and had better fitness levels.

"Ok guys, not the best. Lets move on now though. Fitness and Tactics are going to be our focal points for a bit longer yet then it seems. See you all tomorrow." McGhee said and left them to get changed and attended to his press responsibilities.

View attachment 215335

Tough start but things will improve no doubt!

I really want to use a 4-4-2 wide diamond as it was Charlie the managers favoured formation and I think I have the players to do it but I don't have a lot of experience with it!! Could be a rough start as I get used to the formation.

View attachment 214784

6 October 2015 – Preseason Roundup

The remainder of the preseason flew by as Charlie and the coaching staff got to work implementing the system and getting the team fit. Apart from the game against New South Wales NPL side Bonnyrigg White Eagles where there were many changes the team performed rather well.

View attachment 214783

View attachment 214782

View attachment 214781

View attachment 214780

Wednesday before the League opener away at their FFA Cup nemesis Wellington Pheonix the coaching group held their usual staff meeting.

“So how are we feeling guys? Are we ready for this?” McGhee started. “Sure, The guys are really starting to get on the on the same page and I think we can make some waves this season.” JP replied.

“Hey have you seen our odds for the title?” Zane asked. “I’m half thinking of throwing 50 down on us!!”

View attachment 214779

“Yeah they are pretty crazy hey!” fitness coach Mark Jones exclaimed. “I’m thinking we can finish in the top 6 for sure!!”

“Well it all starts this week,” McGhee interrupted, wanting to bring the conversation back on track. “Wellington away is a tough ask. Anything we need to be particularly mindful of?” “I don’t think so,” JP replied, “They had clearly started preseason earlier than us when we me them in the cup and we are much better prepared this time.”

“So you think the diamond will work better this time? Sucks that Leonardo picked up that injury against Bonnyrigg.” McGhee lamented. “Yeah we’ll be right, since we’ve dumbed it down a little the guys have really taken to it. We can incorporate tweaks as we go this season but for now keeping it simple is working well.” JP assured.

“Righto – lets go get the boys ready then”. Charlie was excited, ‘First real match mate,’ he thought to himself, ‘let’s see what the boys are really made of.’

View attachment 214778

11 October 2015 – **** that feels good

It was Friday, one day before the Wellington match. McGhee had just watched two of his first team squad pull up with injuries in training and was waiting on the physio report. Justin Dougherty walked in, put it down in front of Charlie, and with a shake of his head, turned and walked out of the office.

‘****,’ Charlie muttered to himself as he leafed through the report. The first injury to goalkeeper Ben Kennedy wasn’t too problematic. Being only the backup ‘keeper a bruised rib that was to keep him out for a week or two didn’t really matter. The injury to Ki-Je though was an issue.

View attachment 214776

View attachment 214775

Ki-Je was one of his best, if not the best player – replacing him wouldn’t be easy. Scanning over his notes McGhee quickly decided on sliding Carney back to left back and bringing in Brandon Lundy to play left midfield.

The game started at a decent pace. Wellington, as you would expect playing at home, enjoyed the slight majority of possession. In the 25th minute a free kick in an innocuous enough looking position would be the Pheonix’s downfall. From out wide Milos Trifunovic floated in a cross that seemed simple enough to clear. No one had marked Carney though and his intelligent run mean he had the relatively simple task of heading in unopposed past Glen Moss in goal for Wellington.

From there the game opened up a little and Wellington continued to have the slight majority of shots and possession but it was the Jets who had the better opportunities. In the end though the single goal would be enough for the Jets to take all 3 points home. Given this was the longest away trip the Jets will face this season McGhee couldn’t help but be ecstatic with the result.

View attachment 214774

View attachment 214773

View attachment 214314

17 October 2015 – Jets Flying High

6 days after the euphoric win over Wellington Newcastle welcomed Sydney to Hunter Stadium. In Australian terms, this was a bit of a local derby with Sydney only having to make the relatively short 161km journey up the M1 to play. Charlie was determined to ensure that the 2hr drive home would feel even longer for the Sky Blues…

View attachment 214313

The team had trained exceptionally well considering they had to spend most of Sunday flying back from Wellington, losing a day in the process. When the game started though it was clear the the journey had caught up with them a little as the Jets started somewhat sluggishly. As the half wore on though Newcastle worked themselves into the ascendency and began to enjoy most of the possession and was creating the better chances.

Hafltime came and went and early in the second half an injury forced a reshuffle. Young striker Braedyn Crowley picked up a knock and needed to be subbed. On came Ben Kantarovski in the defensive midfield spot and Mateo Poljak was slid up in the attacking midfield role. Haliti who had been playing there then moved up front to work off targetman Trifunovic.

It took until the 84th minute but eventually the changes worked. You attacking midfielder Waller, who had replaced the tiring Poljak played a neat ball into Trifunovic’s feet just inside the area. He took a nice touch inside his marker before curling a sumptuous effort into the top corner around the outstretched fingers of young Anthony Bouzanis in goal for Sydney that sent the home fans into raptures.

View attachment 214312

Minutes later and the Jets were 2 ahead. Alivodic made a nice run into the penalty area, as he took his tough inside Alex Gerbach the Sydney fullback stuck his right foot out and tripped up Alivodic leading to referee Ben Williams pointing to the spot. Trifunovic stepped up to slot home to Bouzanis’ left grabbing himself a double.

View attachment 214311

That would be all the scoring as the Jets then ran out the game with ease. The most pleasing aspect of this game was how many good chance the Jets had been able to create.

View attachment 214310

A fantastic effort that sent the Jets fans home happy. A win over ‘big brother’ always goes down well!

View attachment 214309

View attachment 214308

23 October 2015

Putting the iPad down Charlie looked out across the ocean from the balcony of his apartment. 2 wins from 2 matches to start his managerial career and living in a place like Newcastle with a view like this meant life was good. He took a sip from his mug of coffee and picked the iPad back up. ‘Time to see what’s happening over in Peterhead.’ He thought to himself.

Despite only spending 1 season on the books at the Blue Toon Charlie still held much affinity for the club as it was where he and his father reconnected and, as such, the club was never far from his thoughts. Things hadn’t been going so well though and they had been on the back of a five game losing streak going into the past weekend’s match. As the Peterhead club website loaded though McGhee’s heart sank a little as he realised the match on the weekend hadn’t gone any better and the current side had now set a club record for defeats in a row.

View attachment 214304

Not only that but manager Jim McInally, a friend of Charlie’s, was facing the axe as a result of that poor run of form. Charlie closed Chrome down and penned an email in support of Jim before sending it to McINally’s private email.

View attachment 214303

As he was firing that email off another appeared in Charlie’s inbox. It was from Jets physio Justin Dougherty providing a report on the current injury list, the good news was that it was looking like a number of key players were close to making their return. Leonardo. In particular, would be touch and go up until the weekend and with the game against premiership favorites Melbourne Victory on the horizon McGhee was agonizing about whether or not to play him all the way to training.

View attachment 214302

In the end that was wasted energy. Leonardo would fail his late fitness test and be unable to make the match squad for the Victory match meaning the team we continue to rely upon Poljak playing in the unfamiliar attacking midfield role with Kantarovski in behind. One positive though is that it meant the Jets would have no problem matching Melbourne’s physicality in the middle of the park.

View attachment 214301

Saturday rolled around quickly enough with Victory making the 1 and a half hour flight north east to Newcastle and started in a very even fashion. Both possession and shots were close for the entire match and it was only a stroke of luck that allowed Victory player Thomas Deng to score what would be the winner on 85 minutes.

View attachment 214300

A long ball was hopefully launched into the box from a free kick around halfway. It fell kindly in the end to Jet's center back Daniel Mullen who hoofed the clearance up the field, or at least he would have, if he hadn’t cleared it directly into Leigh Broxam standing in front of him. From there the ball ricocheted back towards the Jet's goal and Deng slammed it home past Birighitti.

View attachment 214299

After the match McGhee took responsibility for the team talk for the first time in his tenure. Pointing to the fact that opposition goalkeeper Danny Vukovic had, in fact, been named player of the match he told the team to keep their heads up.

View attachment 214298

The result meant that Newcastle now sit 4th after 3 games.

View attachment 214297