Year 2 - End of Season Summary

I was so excited about potentially being part of the Australian Asian U22 cup squad that I’d been sitting by my mobile for hours on the day the team was announced. Grabbing it like a crazed maniac any time it even vibrated. Stupid notifications… But nothing came. As the hours wore on I grew uneasy, finally, with a sigh of resignation I checked my Twitter feed. There it was, Coach Tony Warmsley had over looked me for the squad. I was ******, dirty that they didn’t even deemed me worthy of an SMS to let me know I hadn’t made it. I went down to the OM training fields and ran and ran and ran. They were to run out 12 Jan against Oman and I would be at home watching.
View attachment 278336

It was Bilic who came over and stopped me and asked what was wrong. I told him what had happened. A grin spread across his face as I told him. I couldn’t understand why he was happy. Then he told me Tony Warmsley had rung him and asked if he could take me and Bilic said no. He wanted me around as cover when we had a glut of fixtures. I was over the moon, “I’m in their plans” I thought to myself. Little did I know I would get my first taste of first team action the same day the Australian U/22’s were kicking off their tournament.
View attachment 278335

PSG at the Stade Veldrome, in front of 67,000 people. My knees were knocking as I approached the 4th​ official with my card preparing to sub on. Bilic came over and put an arm around me. “Welcome to the big leagues!” he said. The match was a blur. I have never experienced anything so frenetic in my life. I didn’t play amazing but I also didn’t play bad. All I knew at the end of the match was that I wanted more. I was included in a few more squads shortly after that but never saw any action. In the end I was glad I wasn’t a part of the U22 Australian Asian Cup disaster.
View attachment 278334

In April my season was cruelly cut short by a torn hamstring as I stretched out trying to chase down a long ball. I have thrown myself into my rehab and expect to be fully fit for the start of the next season. The injury unfortunately meant I didn't improve as much as I wanted to this season and didn't get as many games in as I would have liked.
View attachment 278333
View attachment 278332
View attachment 278331View attachment 278330

Our first team had a tremendous season. Finishing 2nd​ but pushing PSG all the way. It is going to be hard to crack the first team with some many talented footballers playing so well.
View attachment 278329

Season 3 goals,
- Get fit,
- Play games.

Oh no, not more bodgy hamstrings!

Cant believe they passed you over for the Asian Cup!

Nice update man! Really nice getting some game time in the 1st team especially against PSG! Hopefully injurys wont be a problem next season.

Thanks mate. Your BAP story seems a bit like mine and some others in being a bit cursed by injury!

Thought I was sneaking past the injuries then the season I began playing BOOM! A 4 month injury, and then I am running with a strong Livingston squad then BOOM! Goodbye to that season.. Gutted! Oh well. Onwards and upwards!

Season 3 - End of Season Summary

Before my second season at OM even started I received bad news. Slaven Bilic had been approached to manage Inter Milan and had decided to take the job. Jocelyn Gourvennec was appointed as his replacement. I had spent a lot of time establishing rapport with Bilic so was a little apprehensive about the new manager. In the end I had bigger issues. Another hamstring issue would keep me out for the first 3 weeks of the season.
View attachment 277931

Later in the season I would also pick up some broken ribs to further hamper my development. Having said that, I feel like I improved as a footballer this season. OM provided me some tutoring and it was of great benefit, I feel that I’ve improved my fitness, first touch and I feel more determined than ever to make it as a professional.
View attachment 277924

Also, whilst I didn’t manage to feature in any first team matches, I feel I consolidated in the reserves. I play in 23 matches and scored 12 goals. Generally, I feel like I was significantly more influential in the OM Reserves games I played this year when compared to last. Hopefully this will stand me in good stead moving on to next season.
View attachment 277923View attachment 277922

The first team has another good year. Clinching the league on the final day as we won and Lyon lost. It really does make it hard to push your way into the 1st​ team when the team is doing so great.
View attachment 277921

Goals for 2017/18,
- Keep improving. I want first team football at OM. The only way to get that is to make the manager play me.
- Sort out my future. I am happy with the deal I currently have signed but I want to set Mum and Dad

Great update mate, your improving quite a bit, hopefully some first team football next year! :)

Enjoying all these bap stories as well as my own way too much! Just want 9347384 updates per day hahaha. Unlucky with the injuries but good stuff on your reserve performances.

Enjoying all these bap stories as well as my own way too much! Just want 9347384 updates per day hahaha. Unlucky with the injuries but good stuff on your reserve performances.

Great update mate, your improving quite a bit, hopefully some first team football next year! :)

Thanks guys! I'm kind of torn. I want my guy to do really well but I also think that it is good for the manager sode of the story if they go trough some adversity as a player.

Season 4 - End of Season Summary

This season started much like the previous one. I got some game time in the first team during the pre-season friendlies but obviously didn't make much of an impression on Gourvennec as once the fixtures started I was back in the reserves. I felt like I was improving still as a player though so it was bitterly disappointing to suffer another set of broken ribs that put me out for a month.
View attachment 277616

When I returned I went back to performing well for the Reserves but I just couldn't make enough of an impact to break my way into the first team. I felt like I was deserving and there was a couple of times that some of the other reserve team players made the bench over me that I couldn't believe. I am starting to think that, because I am not a player he brought in, Gourvennec isn't going to utilise me. In December speculation began to mount concerning a takeover at the club and in January that became a reality.
View attachment 277615

At the same time that the takeover was going on the media began to insinuate that I wasn't going to be offered a new deal. I must admit that I had already started seriously considering alternatives prior to the news with only 6 months remaining on my deal but this made me start looking with even more intensity.
View attachment 277614

As there was significant flux at the club following the takeover I was approached by the Director of Football at OM Steve Martin (no not that Steve Martin!!) with a new deal. After a week of weighing up the pros and cons of a move I ended up re-signing with OM, simply the other offers I was sure about weren't really what I was looking for either as they would have entailed dropping divisions. At the end of the day I know I am improving as a player here. They continue to offer me tutoring and the facilities here are world class. The deal is only a 2 year deal but it is on such money that I have been able to begin buying out the mortgages on both my Mum and Dad's houses.
View attachment 277613

With the formalities of contract negotiations out of the way I was able to refocus on my football. I ended up making 20 appearances for the Reserves scoring 6 goals and laying on 2 assists.
View attachment 277612View attachment 277611

I really feel I made strides this year and improved my game. I don't know if it is the constant disrespect I feel every time Gourvennec puts up the 1st team teamsheet but I am so determined to make it as a pro. I can feel myself getting better across the board thanks to how relentlessly I am training.
View attachment 277609

In the end Gourvennec managed to survive the takeover and also numerous other occasions throughout the year where his job was seemingly on the line to guide OM to 3rd place in Ligue 1. I know I am obviously not in his plans right at this point but it is hard to argue with what he is achieving. I just hope to use the time remaining on my current contract here to become the best player I can and put myself in the shop window.
View attachment 277607

Season 5 goals,
- Improve, particularly my striking stats as that appears to be where my future lies.

Last edited:
Love your determination mate, you'll get there! C'mon Charlie!!!

Season 5 - End of Season Summary

This season started exactly like the last few. First team appearances in preseason but then nothing once the fixtures began. I found myself getting more and more frustrated with Gourvennec. I mean I know that I am behind Ayew and a few others in the pecking order but I really feel that I was playing at the level required to warrant first team inclusion.

View attachment 277586

As things approached January I continued to play and play well with the Reserves growing more frustrated at each omission from the first team. I just about fell over when I went to read the 1st's teamsheet prior the French Cup 9th round match against Montpellier and saw my name on it. Even better was when I tasted first team action for the first time again in what seemed like forever during the game. I would also go on to play off the bench in the 10th round tie also.
View attachment 277587

I was selected to start the Quarter Final match against Clairmont and played well. Picking up an assist.
View attachment 277585

I was also extremely chuffed to get taste European competition for the first time appearing against Arsenal in the Euro Cup knockout stage.
View attachment 277584

As those competitions got further along Gourvennec began favoring the established first teamers. I didn't mind as I want to see the club do well. I had been given a chance and felt I had given a decent account of myself. I then resigned myself to playing out the season in the reserves but I was absolutely delighted to be given my league debut in the final match of the season.
View attachment 277581

In the end, along with my 19 appearances with the Reserves where I scored 4 goals, I appeared 5 times in total for the first team. Its been a tough couple of years since signing with OM but I have undoubtedly improved as a player and feel for the first time in a while as if I am in the first team plans.
View attachment 277580View attachment 277579

Having said all the above, my contract is up at the end of the season. This game is a business, I know that. I have to do whats best for me just like the club has to do what is best for it. It is going to be an interesting 12 months. Especially as I have grown to love living on the south coast of France and when the club is going from strength to strength, recently advising the players that there would be improvements made to the already impressive training center.
View attachment 277578

The first team finished 3rd again this season. Gourvennec still has them playing well and still has his job. I just hope I can still stay in his plans.
View attachment 277577

Season 6 goals
- This season, in the U22 Asian Nations Cup qualifying, I have featured in another 3 games as Australia qualified undefeated. The competition is in January 2020 and I am eyeing it off as an extra opportunity to show my wares to potential suitors. I want to be in that team.

Last edited: