Whoa what an international record that dude has! He looks epic!

His name might be Skull, but Okon is the real bonehead!

Whoa what an international record that dude has! He looks epic!

His name might be Skull, but Okon is the real bonehead!

Not wrong. When he puts our best side out we dominate usually and in Asia if we just put our best 11 out we are as good as anyone...

Season 17 (2030/31) - End of Season Summary

Early in the season we found out who our Asian Champions League opponents were. Group E appeared to be the group of death as we were drawn with Japanese champions Osaka, Korean powerhouse Pohang and one of the richest clubs in Asia in Guangzhou. Our performances left a lot to be desired and we crashed out at the group stage only winning one game against Osaka once we had been eliminated...

View attachment 274239
View attachment 274238
View attachment 274237

We finished the A league regular season in 2nd spot meaning we would play in the finals series again. We would also make the final this year and also lose it... Brisbane Roar ended up winning through from 5th spot. Our performances though meant we qualified for next season's Asian Champions League.

View attachment 274235
View attachment 274234
View attachment 274227

I ended up having a great, albeit injury shortened, season. I played in 14 league games and put on 12 assists. My performances earned me a spot in the Asian All-Star XI (does anyone know what this is?? It just appeared in my news feed).

View attachment 274231
View attachment 274230

I can feel my body starting to go on me. I just don't have the explosion when I want to turn on the jets anymore. Furthermore, when I watch the tape I can see my technical stats are starting to slip. I am certain though than when I hang up the playing boots I will be moving into management. I'm 33 this year though and still playing at a high level for Australia. I managed to crack the half century of caps and now have 56 for Australia!!!

View attachment 274229
View attachment 274228

Season 18 goals.
- I will be 34 at the conclusion of next season. I don't know why but I'm not yet ready to retire. I wouldn't mind one more contract.
- Also, I just want to play as many times as possible for the Socceroos. I didn't get capped till later in my career so I just want to stay around the team.

Last edited:
Season 18 (2031/32) – End of Season Summary

My contract was due to run out at the end of the season. I would be 34 when it finishes and to be honest, after last season’s injury riddled campaign, I wasn’t sure if the body is up to it anymore. I’ve been very fortunate, going back to my days at Al-Arabi, to be on decent contracts. The money earned has been invested wisely and I and all my family now live very comfortable lives. So I was faced with a big decision when Melbourne Victory approached me with a contract offer that essentially amounted to a one year extension. After some soul searching and deliberation I decided to accept the offer. I will be retired from playing for a long time so I may as well keep doing it whist I can. I’ve also been very fortunate to avoid any real structural injuries such as ACL’s and cartilage injuries so I should still be able to move about freely once I do retire.

View attachment 274002

Throughout my time at Victory we have found ourselves able to make a number of finals but each time we have fallen at the final hurdle. Season 31/32 would be no different as we managed to earn our spot in the FFA Cup final but would go on to lose to Sydney FC 2-0.

View attachment 274001

Our ACL campaign was also a bit of a disaster. We were drawn in a group with our foes from last year Pohang, Japanese side Saitama and ostensibly the weakest side in the group Home Utd from Singapore. Unfortunately it proved that we were the weakest side in the group. Crashing out with 2 games remaining…

View attachment 274000
View attachment 273999

Overall this season I appeared 25 game for the Victory. I also managed to make a few appearances for the Socceroos (up to 60 caps now!) although it is becoming apparent my time in the National team is coming to close.

View attachment 273998

Whilst we may not have been able to win any finals thus far the Victory did manage to go one better in the league and run out the season as premiers!! In the finals series we would fail again though losing in the Semi Final.

View attachment 273997
View attachment 273996

Following our Premiership win the Victory was the subject of a takeover bid. As the new hierarchy formed they, for some reason, found it necessary to fire Lucas Neill as manager. It was a ridiculous decision if you ask me as he had just brought home the premiership. It looked even more crazy when, in scene’s reminiscent of Brisbane Roar’s botched firing of Mike Mulvey in 2014, Neill was awarded the A League Manager of the Year award 2 weeks after being sacked…

View attachment 273995
View attachment 273993
View attachment 273994

My efforts this season again warranted me entry in the Asian All-Star XI. If I’m honest though I am deteriorating as a player - it is likely that I won’t be picking up anymore of those awards.

View attachment 273992
View attachment 273991

Season 19 goals,

• Well that’s it, after almost 2 decades in the game, this is likely my final season. I just want to enjoy every minute. I’ve been so fortunate to make a living out of what I love doing so I want to cherish this season if it is to be my last as a player.

Good stuff, going to sim out his manager career too?

I'm a bit undecided. I wouldn't mind seeing what he does as a manager if I just sim it out but my plan all the long was to create a backstory to a manager story starting off wherever Charlie gets a gig. Playing FM this way though is fitting in with the rest of my life pretty well though so maybe I will just keep going anyway out of interest to see how it plays out even if I don't include it in this story.

The end is nigh old mate. I have a tear in my eye already!

The end is nigh old mate. I have a tear in my eye already!

It is a bit sad isn't it! I think I said it earlier in the story but you really start to develop a level of emotional attachment to them and want the best for them. Ol' Charlie's had a career he can be proud of though!

It is a bit sad isn't it! I think I said it earlier in the story but you really start to develop a level of emotional attachment to them and want the best for them. Ol' Charlie's had a career he can be proud of though!

Too right mate, he can hold his head up high.

I get choked up just thinking about my guy retiring but just have to keep reminding myself that the end is really only the beginning!

Too right mate, he can hold his head up high.

I get choked up just thinking about my guy retiring but just have to keep reminding myself that the end is really only the beginning!

That's it mate. I'm sure, regardless of where they start, they will both have long and successful managerial careers! Having said that I'm secretly hoping he starts somewhere relatively obscure and at a club that I normally wouldn't manage.

That's it mate. I'm sure, regardless of where they start, they will both have long and successful managerial careers! Having said that I'm secretly hoping he starts somewhere relatively obscure and at a club that I normally wouldn't manage.

Yeah, me too. Am secretly hoping to land a job like FC Oss, someone i'd never heard of before let alone thought of managing!

Looking forward to see how his last season goes! Fingers crossed for a trophy!

What a career you have had, the day Charlie retires will be an emotional day!

Looking forward to see how his last season goes! Fingers crossed for a trophy!

What a career you have had, the day Charlie retires will be an emotional day!

Thanks guys!! I really appreciate the sentiment and hope you've had some enjoyment from reading the story!!

Tim - I was really enjoying your Fernando Teixeira story so I look forward to when you start another player story up. But with how good you are going with De Graafschap it might be a while!! ;)

James - you'll have to start one of these up!

Season 19 (2032/33) - End of Season Summary

The season started off well enough. I was playing reasonably well and new manager Josh Brilliante was utilizing me in such a way that I was getting good rest in between games. Actually I was feeling fresher than I had in years thanks to his careful management. I was also extremely happy to take out my first cup final with Victory after so many years of being the bridesmaid! A resounding 3-0 victory over Adelaide gave me the opportunity to enjoy the second piece of silverware, after last year’s Premier’s Plate, since joining.

View attachment 273572

After another abysmal Asian Champions League campaign where we suffered the ignominy of being knocked out with 2 games remaining we set our sights on the Premier's Plate. Although I felt we were the best side all season we ended up finishing just short of our goal in 2nd. We were then subsequently sent home by Brisbane in the Semi Final round of the Finals Series.

View attachment 273571
View attachment 273570

As the close of the season approached I was devastated to pick up a knee cap injury that meant I needed to spend an entire month on the sidelines. Brilliante was brilliant (sorry – Dad joke) throughout though always offering me encouragement during my spell on the sidelines but also giving me the opportunity to get experience in other ways, often asking me to run sessions at training and to sit in on his meetings with the management team at Victory. It was really invaluable experience that I know will help me when I go out into the world of management.

View attachment 273569

I’ve been very fortunate to work under a lot of good bosses in my time as a player. I remember Andre Ayew telling me as a youngster that you should always try to learn something from every boss you work under, even the ones you don't like. I can recall that McInally at Peterhead was one of the most intense individuals I’d ever been around – he hated losing with a passion I’ve never seen matched. Slaven Bilic had the ability to make every player feel important and Gourvennec, despite our issues, was one of the most tactically astute managers I’d had. Dall’Oglio had the ability to make training fun and inventive and Morel could wheel and deal in the transfer market like no other. Fourneir was as composed a man as I could imagine, giving confidence to his team at all times and Holloway made me the fittest player I ever was. Guthrie had a way of dealing through the media to motivate players whereas Paul Okon had the conviction to stick to his ideals, irrespective of the pressure coming from the media, and Lucas Neill had a way of empathizing with the players that made you want to fight for him but no one had been as a good a mate to me as Josh. I guess, seeing as he isn’t all that much older than me, it makes sense but I’ve really enjoyed my time this season and when he came to me practically begging me to hang around for one more season, well... I couldn’t really say no to a mate now, could I?

View attachment 273565

Now, I'd be lying if I said the only reason I'd come back was because Josh had asked. I was lucky enough to, even at this advanced stage of my career, feature 4 times for Australia this season. Late on in the season we sealed our qualification into the World Cup to be played at the end of next season. I know I'm a bit of a longshot, but I'd be crazy if I didn't give myself the opportunity to play in 3 World Cups.

View attachment 273562

Lets be real. I know I'm not the same player I was even 4 years ago. Thanks to Brilliante's management of my game time though I feel I have another year in me. You never know - sometimes long shots pay off!!

View attachment 273559
View attachment 273558

YES!!!!! C'mon Charlie, 1 more year, 1 more WC. Brillante IS brilliant! (I love a good dad joke :p)

Thanks guys!! I really appreciate the sentiment and hope you've had some enjoyment from reading the story!!

Tim - I was really enjoying your Fernando Teixeira story so I look forward to when you start another player story up. But with how good you are going with De Graafschap it might be a while!! ;)

James - you'll have to start one of these up!

Yeah it is going really well thanks mate, I want to start one of these they look really fun, we will see!

Yes one more season! The World Cup would be an incredible way to end your career, really hope you make it into the squad!

YES!!!!! C'mon Charlie, 1 more year, 1 more WC. Brillante IS brilliant! (I love a good dad joke :p)

Now I'd never wish injuries on anyone in real life but in FM they are fair game so I've got my fingers crossed for one or two in the lead up to the World Cup to help Charlie get selected!!

Now I'd never wish injuries on anyone in real life but in FM they are fair game so I've got my fingers crossed for one or two in the lead up to the World Cup to help Charlie get selected!!

Hahahahahaha that's a Brillante comment! :p Hopefully Charlie takes out his competition personally with some dangerous tackles in the A-league!